Can you tell me how this RFing angle is?

fyrfightermomma

I'm having such a hard time getting the Radian's more upright. I'm starting to remember why I got rid of the one I used to have! I love the new Radians, but I do NOT miss the install issues. I haven't even attempted FFing yet

Well after 45 min of wrestling I *think* I got a better upright angle. Can anyone tell me how these look and about what angle they are at? (I'm so bad with estimating)

This is on pretty level ground

Thanks
100_0821.jpg

100_0824.jpg

100_0825.jpg

100_0828.jpg

ADS

BW1426

I think they look good, but I also think you could get them a little more upright if you pull the rearfacing foot a little ways away from the bight of the seat. I haven't had a chance to play with the new rearfacing boot, but this works really well with the old rearfacing boot.

fyrfightermomma

I think they look good, but I also think you could get them a little more upright if you pull the rearfacing foot a little ways away from the bight of the seat. I haven't had a chance to play with the new rearfacing boot, but this works really well with the old rearfacing boot.

Trust me, I did the *trick*. It's about 2" away from the seat bight right now. I did fine with the *trick* in my old Impala, but it does NOT work in this car. LOL The new boot is much shorter than the old boot, so while it doesn't look like it's that far away, when you look down, the "point" part is a good 1.5-2" away

And if you look at how sloped my seats are, evertime I'd pull it away from the seat bight, it would slide right down towards it again as soon as I let go to try and kneel and tighten. Maybe it would be better in flatter seats?

BW1426

Trust me, I did the *trick*. It's about 2" away from the seat bight right now. I did fine with the *trick* in my old Impala, but it does NOT work in this car. LOL The new boot is much shorter than the old boot, so while it doesn't look like it's that far away, when you look down, the "point" part is a good 1.5-2" away

And if you look at how sloped my seats are, evertime I'd pull it away from the seat bight, it would slide right down towards it again as soon as I let go to try and kneel and tighten. Maybe it would be better in flatter seats?

Bummer. Too bad SKJP didn't totally listen when we asked for a shallower foot for ERF :(

On that note, but totally OT, Britax has gotten huge points in my book for coming to here to ask for input.

Have you decided if you're going to keep both radians?

fyrfightermomma

Bummer. Too bad SKJP didn't totally listen when we asked for a shallower foot for ERF :(

On that note, but totally OT, Britax has gotten huge points in my book for coming to here to ask for input.

Have you decided if you're going to keep both radians?

The whole point of getting the XT was for when I turned DD1 FFing next month. She's so tiny yet, so I wanted it for the head excursion #'s and SIP. So I only have to deal a month and then it's not an issue

As for keeping the 65 as DD2's RFing seat, I'm not sure. It's SOO close to my front pass seat (which isn't allowed) and when she sits in it, it tips it back enough that it *just* touches (but doesn't push) so that might get annoying.

I really want DD1 behind me for loading issues, so putting a RFing Radian there isn't an option either.

So who knows. I'll probably keep the XT for FFing (if i can get it installed) and ditch the 65. But on the other hand, it's the only 35 lb seat I have. Everything else is a 33 lb seat and she's already over 30 lbs and getting mighty close on that.

zeo2ski

If the picture is level to ground, the seat itself looks pretty upright--I'd easily agree with 30 degrees! But compared to the recline of the vehicle seats it looks pretty reclined, so I get why you feel like you can't get it more upright.

For DD#2...Your signo isn't 35? I'm not sure your train of thought, but from what you've said here I'd actually send it back and grab her an XT too, or something else 35--I know she's big but can't remember if she's very tall. What I'd actually do is send back the 65 and watch her weight. That way you have time to decide if you really do or don't like the XT (and if the recline will be a real problem RFing). If she happens to gain the weight before April and you can't get your hands on another XT you could let her use DD1's XT for that month or so and just FF tether the signo for DD1.

Pixels

Well, if you're at 30 you're not going any more upright.

But what I found I had to do was move the foot away from the bight, far enough that the carseat wasn't touching the vehicle seatback. Holding it there (not touching), press down where the child's knees go, and tighten the belt while holding it back from touching as long as possible. It's doable with just one person, but I'm sure it would be easier to do with a helper.

I found that the edge of the carseat shell would sort of bind up on the vehicle seatback, forcing the Radian to recline when pressing down on it. This is particularly true with cloth seats.

zeo2ski

Well, if you're at 30 you're not going any more upright.

But what I found I had to do was move the foot away from the bight, far enough that the carseat wasn't touching the vehicle seatback. Holding it there (not touching), press down where the child's knees go, and tighten the belt while holding it back from touching as long as possible. It's doable with just one person, but I'm sure it would be easier to do with a helper.

I found that the edge of the carseat shell would sort of bind up on the vehicle seatback, forcing the Radian to recline when pressing down on it. This is particularly true with cloth seats.

When you do all this, the flat "butt" part of the RN is still flat on the vehicle seat, right? In my mind I can't see how it would ever work, but I know it's possible!

Pixels

When you do all this, the flat "butt" part of the RN is still flat on the vehicle seat, right? In my mind I can't see how it would ever work, but I know it's possible!
Yes. It works because the seat cushion compresses under the RFing foot, but not under the "butt". If it gets hung up on the vehicle seatback, pushing down will compress the cushion more under the butt, and less under the foot.

Although, if you want, you can lift up on the back of the Radian, pushing down the RFing foot while tightening. That is what Debbie/Defrost does to get a more upright install. She stands behind the seat like in her avatar, lifting up on the top of the seat with her hips, and leans over and pushes on the child's knee area. I can't do that in my sedan, for two reasons. It's a sedan, and there isn't enough room to stand behind the seat, and then there isn't enough room for my body between the top of the Radian and the roof of the car. And then my arms aren't long enough to reach the belt path. So I did my own version, not worrying about lifting up on the back of the seat and keeping it off the seatback. Oh, and laying across the Radian so my chest/stomach was pressing on the child's knee area to free up my hands for the seatbelt.

fyrfightermomma

If the picture is level to ground, the seat itself looks pretty upright--I'd easily agree with 30 degrees! But compared to the recline of the vehicle seats it looks pretty reclined, so I get why you feel like you can't get it more upright.

For DD#2...Your signo isn't 35? I'm not sure your train of thought, but from what you've said here I'd actually send it back and grab her an XT too, or something else 35--I know she's big but can't remember if she's very tall. What I'd actually do is send back the 65 and watch her weight. That way you have time to decide if you really do or don't like the XT (and if the recline will be a real problem RFing). If she happens to gain the weight before April and you can't get your hands on another XT you could let her use DD1's XT for that month or so and just FF tether the signo for DD1.

Oh god! The dreaded RFing Signo. We did that the past month and it was torture. There is no way I'm gonna use that seat if I don't have to!!! (rfing). That's why I wanted the Radians so quick. It was horrible.

She is very tall. A little over 35" and not quite 2 years old (31.5 lbs)

I got the 65 from the tech discount, so I don't think I can return it. Anyone know??

fyrfightermomma

Alright a couple more issues from driving around today. I cannot get the straps tight. I've looked there isn't anything caught up on the harness. Its like it gets almost tight and then switches to ratcheting which is fine. With the MA you just ratcheted it tighter. But with the RN's, It's like when you ratchet, nothing happens. It doesn't get any tighter:confused: I did not like how loose the harnesses were. And it was both seats

The other issue is I can't seem to get it tight with LATCH. Seatbelt was a pain but I could pull the shoulder portion from the other side of the seat. With the LATCH, the LATCH strap isn't long enough to go through the belt path to the other side. So when you tighten it it gets super close to the car seat and you just can't physically tighten it anymore because you are pulling the strap up instead of out which it's not designed to do

Any tips?

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Did you try it with the vehicle seat upright? When I got the XT very upright, very easily, in my car, part of the reason was because the front of the Radian (not the front of the boot) was crammed up against the vehicle seatback.

I think that may be why your boot keeps sliding into the bight.

fyrfightermomma

Did you try it with the vehicle seat upright? When I got the XT very upright, very easily, in my car, part of the reason was because the front of the Radian (not the front of the boot) was crammed up against the vehicle seatback.

I think that may be why your boot keeps sliding into the bight.

Thanks Defrost! I'll have to try. I had it pretty reclined and then installed, and then put it upright like I do for most seats. I'll have to try having it upright to begin with. I switched cars with DH so he could wash mine so I don't have the seats to play with tonight. Gotta try tomorrow!

Pixels

Alright a couple more issues from driving around today. I cannot get the straps tight. I've looked there isn't anything caught up on the harness. Its like it gets almost tight and then switches to ratcheting which is fine. With the MA you just ratcheted it tighter. But with the RN's, It's like when you ratchet, nothing happens. It doesn't get any tighter:confused: I did not like how loose the harnesses were. And it was both seats

The other issue is I can't seem to get it tight with LATCH. Seatbelt was a pain but I could pull the shoulder portion from the other side of the seat. With the LATCH, the LATCH strap isn't long enough to go through the belt path to the other side. So when you tighten it it gets super close to the car seat and you just can't physically tighten it anymore because you are pulling the strap up instead of out which it's not designed to do

Any tips?
Did you do the pinch test to see if the harnesses were actually too lose, or if it's just you wanting it tighter? I've experienced a similar thing, where I wanted it tighter, but it was actually fine. RFing, you can't pull the harness adjuster straight out, but do it as close to straight out as you can - it will be pulling up against the vehicle seatback. Also, if you reach around and pull down on the splitter plate, or on both of the harness straps if the harness plate is under the seat, that will help. Mine, it will ratchet for a few clicks, then stop when it's tight enough.

I don't have any tips for getting it tighter with LATCH. RFing seatbelt intalls are pretty easy with the Radian, so personally I wouldn't sweat it. If you get a better install with the seatbelt, use the seatbelt.

fyrfightermomma

Did you do the pinch test to see if the harnesses were actually too lose, or if it's just you wanting it tighter? I've experienced a similar thing, where I wanted it tighter, but it was actually fine. RFing, you can't pull the harness adjuster straight out, but do it as close to straight out as you can - it will be pulling up against the vehicle seatback. Also, if you reach around and pull down on the splitter plate, or on both of the harness straps if the harness plate is under the seat, that will help. Mine, it will ratchet for a few clicks, then stop when it's tight enough.

I don't have any tips for getting it tighter with LATCH. RFing seatbelt intalls are pretty easy with the Radian, so personally I wouldn't sweat it. If you get a better install with the seatbelt, use the seatbelt.

Definately too loose. I could pinch almost an inch on both seats. I do the thing where you reach behind the carseat and pull and then tighten but it seems like the splitter plate gets caught up towards the front of the seat (where the butt is) and I can't reach far enough to see if I can free it.

I do vaguely remember this about my last radian

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
*nods* I like to roll the harness strap as I tighten when RF. I find that gives me a lot more leverage. Also I pull the harness up from the thighs with both hands, switch to holding both with one hand so they don't slip back, and then tighten while rolling with the other hand.

Once I've done it once it usually stays good for about a week before I have to tighten it again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC