Should I make the spare a primary?

AtTheSouthDam

Should I let my DD2 use the my new XT as her primary seat?

I got it as a spare for DD1 just to last until she is six (hopefully) since my parents both drive much older tether-less cars. DD1 doesn't ride with them that often. She only has about 1/2" until the tops slots so I think she will out grow shortly after her 6th birthday. Then it will be DD2's seat anyway.

I COULD just move the straps for the few times DD1 rides with Grandma or Papa. And I would still have the Como and TB at the house for back up seats (we only have one car so I like to keep extra seats at the house just in case.)

But then I feel guilty as DD2 just got a Como in December and she does like it. She has never complained about the lack of leg room in the Como but I didn't realize how little there was until I put her in the XT.

DD1 will be jealous if I do. She spent today riding the XT and loves it as well. It sits up straighter and gives her more leg room then her regent. If she had more room to grow in it I would get another in a heart beat.

Maybe it is just my desire to play with the new seat and not put it back closet :D What would you do?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd discuss it with the kids. If the oldest was okay with it I'd ask the younger what she thought. But if they're both happy in the seats they're in, and the older doesn't want her sister to use "her" seat yet, I would leave it be.

I think some battles are not worth fighting. ;)

AtTheSouthDam

Right now it is "Mommy's seat". I told them I get to decide who rides and when. I predicted that problem in advanced. :D

FWIW, I never thought I would like this seat enough to consider it for a primary...

Last edited:

AtTheSouthDam

Blah. No great arguments for so in the closet it goes.

I turned off my computer, thought how great it would be just to use as DD1's primary (no more moving seats around!) then imagined the Regent or Como taking up all my closet space and discarded the whole idea. :p

Kat_Momof3

okay... I say let your dd1 have the seat until she outgrows it...

if you don't... you're going to have to buy her a new (and very pink) booster seat... probably the Monterey.

the como is a pretty big and expensive backup seat, though.

I think I'd just have the XT as the spare for now and add a monterey or oobr (yay... a reason to hold out and buy the oobr down the line) for when dd1 is too big for the Radian.

AtTheSouthDam

Well, we have a very pink TB that I got her at 3.5 (I know, I know! She was 39.5 lbs and we couldn't afford the regent at the time and it was a better booter the the dorel harnessed booster). I am hesitant about using it as a back up in with Papa as she convinced him the lap belt only was okay (after I told him very clearly how it works.)
Hence the XT back up. I was really surprised she had as much room in it as she does. She is on the top slots of her Regent and I didn't think I would be able to get it to install where it did. It was the first time I have ever gone for the return shipping insurance.
And yeah I am trying to hold out for getting her a booster later. I am VERY curious about Britax's new booster. I REALLY want her to make it until her 6th birthday in a harness though.

I think it was a late at night guilt about squished legs last night. We had spent all day shopping with two grandma's who kept mentioning how curled up she looked.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC