So which is more important?

glockchick

Keeping my 7 (8 in June) year old in a booster or getting my 9 year old out of a lap belt and into a shoulder belt? It is more important to get him out of the lap belt, right?

I'm pretty sure that's the choice I'm going to have to make. I went outside and played around with the seats I have and a tape measure, and I just don't think I can get the 9 year old out of the lap belt any other way.

Maybe if I move the 7 year old's booster into the flip down seat. There are a couple of down sides to that. My 11 year old then can't let the kids in the way back out because he'll be back there too. Also, it's hard to slide the seat forward with a booster in it. Really hard. And the added hassle of unthreading and rethreading the shoulder belt into the guide in the booster every time. It already takes us 10 minutes to get in and out of the car as it is.

To recap. (tired of seeing this yet?)

'99 Suburban
6 kids

Current set up.

driver - 2 year old dd in ff marathon - expires Aug 13th
center - 11 month old ds in rf keyfit - has about 1" of torso height left
fold down - 11 year old ds

3rd row
driver - 7 year old ds in turbo booster
center, lap belt only - 9 year old ds
passenger - 4 year old dd in parkway booster

I'm ordering a Radian XT for the 4 year old and will put her in the 3rd row center until the 2 year old's seat expires in Aug. Then my 4 year old will be 5 and she'll move to the parkway in the 2nd row behind the driver while the 2 year old will take the Radian. 9 year old ds will have the shoulder belt the parkway is now using.

I can't think of another way, but maybe y'all will see something I don't.

ADS

jewlsvern

Is there a reason you can't swap your 2 yr old and 9 yr old? FF the MA in the 3rd row with the lap belt and put the 9 yr old in the shoulder belt there.

glockchick

It won't fit next to the parkway and allow room for the other child. Actually, I'd forgotten we took the other booster out and just let the 7 year old use the seat belt because there wasn't room for the 9 year old between them comfortably. He passes the seat belt test, but I feel better with him in a booster.

The rear seat is 44 inches across so theoretically, everyone gets 15 inches. However, the PW is 17" and so is the turbo so that only left 10" for the middle kid. Not working.

I think the radian with 2 kids on the sides will work, but I put the marathon in the middle and it's uncomfortable for the other kids to sit next to it. I tried and I wouldn't want to either.

my2kidsSafe

I have a son to 5 year old and i am not comfortable with her being in a booster even when she is 5. What about getting a GN for the 4 year old and the Radian and then doing this

3rd row pass GN -4 year old, Radian -2 year old, 7 year old - parkway
2nd Row pass 11 year . keyfit and 9 year old in turbo backless

you could switch the 7 year old and the 9 year old, and if the 9 year old passes the 5 step test you shouldn't have any problem fitting the GN and the radian back there.

Kat_Momof3

what about letting the 7yr old go backless? it's the lesser evil of all 3... he'd still be in a booster, but it'd let the 9yr old move out of the lap-only belt... moving a backless out of the way to flip the seat is much easier than a highback.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC