graco snugride harness extender?

R

rvf4uk

Hi, does anyone know where I can get a harness extender for a Graco Snugride? My son is only 4 months, 24" and about 14lbs, but the straps are really tight when he wears a light sweater and causes him to cry when I clip him in (and it is winter in NJ!!!)

My model is pretty old (1999) but in great shape and I was hoping to use it for a bit more time yet as this is my second and final baby.

I called Graco but they say that I need to buy a new seat as he is nearing the limit (another 2 or 3 inches yet though?) and the harness extenders they did have are now obsolete.

I will probably buy a new harness from ebay as they are another 3" longer apparently from the newer models even though Graco told me not to do this (but I don't see a problem as the new straps are identical in width, strength and all the clips are the same) but wondered if anyone had an old extender they don't use anymore that I could try first. Many thanks, please email dinkbradders@yahoo.co.uk (I live in the US)

ADS

mish

Actually, your seat is expired. You need to stop using it immediately. Car seats expire after 6 years, so yours exptired in 2005. It is really not safe for your baby to be in this seat.

If you need advice on a new convertible seat, we would be happy to help with that.

Pixels

A seat from 1999 is expired and should be replaced immediately. Over time, the plastic breaks down, and it will not hold the child in during a crash. The harness will rip right through.

Maedze

Ditto, the seat is DANGEROUSLY expired. It expired years ago. The seat should have been thrown in the garbage in 2005.

In an accident there is a strong chance the harness would rip right out of the seat and allow your baby to be ejected and killed.

You CANNOT use that seat again in the car. Not even to drive to the store to buy a new seat. Send someone else or order it on line. It's that serious, unfortunately :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd be more worried that the plastic holding the metal clips on the seat and base could have weakened an that the seat might fly right off the base, though yes, the harness may rip right out of the shell, too.

If it were me I'd look for a deal on a bigger infant seat (they are ALL bigger now, at least 22 pounds and 29 inches, but the 32 pound/32 inch Snugride 32 is the current king of the seats, lol), or even just borrow a safe one from a friend for a few more months till winter's passed :thumbsup: (or just use a convertible seat if you don't want to deal with the baby bucket any more).

:)

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
If you want to see an expired seat in a crash, go to youtube.com and search for expired carseat. The video shows what would happen.

What is your budget for a convertible? We are great at helping pick out new seats.

Kat_Momof3

the seat expired in 2005... it is far too old to be using and he needs a new seat NOW.

you could move him to a convertible seat or just get him another infant seat, because they do make ones that go up to 30lbs now.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Since the child is already 4 months old, and winter is nearly over so cold isn't as much a concern, I'd recommend getting a convertible seat ( the kind that rearfaces then forward faces and stay in the car) unless you just really love the infant bucket.
some great convertible seats that will last for many years are the truefit, evenflo triumph advance, alpha omega/safety 1st 3-in-1(NEW 50 lb version ONLY), marathon.
Good seats on a stricter budget include the avenue and uptown.

Mama Jo

Just wondering if anyone noticed the OP put an email address in her post to contact her... I see she hasn't posted any response or follow up questions... I wonder if she's even checking the board to see what people have said. Has anyone emailed her even just to notify her to check?? It worries me that she's using that seat!!

ETA: I PM'd her, so hopefully she'll get an email notifying her so she knows to check...

R

rvf4uk

Thanks so much for all the posts, and especially the lady who emailed my personal account as I had posted on here but forgot to add to my favourites so couldn't remember the site!!! doh.

I hadn't realised about the expiration (though it should probably be common sense) as its such a good sturdy seat but understand that this breakdown is possible so will throw it out and use my daughters old convertable. What annoys me is that I spoke with at least 2 customer advisors yesterday at Graco and one only told me to buy a new seat as I was nearing the height limit not that it was dangerous for me to use an old seat.

Thanks again

Chris

Nennib

OP - how old is your older child's convertible seat? Most car seat expire after 6 years (from date of manufacture). If the convertible is from the same older child as the infant seat was, I would get it is also expired or close to expired. Please give us some details about that seat. How old is it? If you don't know, tell us the weight limits stated on the sticker on the car seat. What kind of convertible is it - does it have a 5 point harness or does it have some form of T buckle or bar that you pull down your baby's head?
Nenni

Pixels

:thumbsdown: to Graco CS then. Are you sure the old convertible is not expired as well? Different seats have different expirations. Post back here with the date of manufacture, which should be on a sticker on the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC