Convince me I need the Radian XT over the Radian 80

glockchick

Even better, convince me I need it in pink. :love:

I've seen the crash test of the Radian XT, but I can't find a side impact test of a seat without side impact protection. I'd love to see a comparison of a side impact crash with the radian 65 or 80 and the xt.

The other thing with the side impact is that I also feel kind of guilty that the little ones will have side impact protection and the 3 older ones won't. I know the littles need it more, but it still bugs me. There's just not room to keep them all in boosters with side impact. :( I know that's irrational, but I can't help it.

Now the pink part. This seat is for my 4 year old dd for now. In August, my 2 year old dd's marathon will expire and the seat will go to her and my older daughter (will be 5 then) will go back into her booster. My younger daughter will be a couple weeks short of 3. We might also decide to just replace her seat and let my older dd keep the Radian, but I've never harnessed a kid this long before. I let her look at all the Radians and she picked the XT in pink.

After we move the now 2 year old to a booster in a few years, I'll use the Radian for backup for the baby (boy). It wouldn't be awful to have a boy occasionally ride in a pink seat, right? Our backup and seat for other people know is a pink Scenera. You can tell I finally got my 2 girls after 3 boys. :love: The 2nd girl was the last child before our little surprise boy so I didn't even consider not buying pink then. :p

Then again, as long as we have the vehicle I have now, she'll need to be harnessed so I can have shoulder belts for all the other kids.

So wwyd? Which radian (has to be a radian to fit there) and gender neutral or pink?

ADS

New grandma

Go for the pink. If it will be only a back-up by the time your son uses it, or even full time, pink won't hurt. Heck, even my adult boys like a pink shirt now and then! I would go for the XT just for the extra protection no matter what the age, providing the price is not a problem for you.

Splash

My son would love a pink seat (and I would absolutely buy him one if available and not pink sky). Pink is pretty. Kids don't "get" gender/sex stereotypes (nor do they need to, which is why the whole "my son can't ride in a pink seat/my daughter must have a pink seat" thing bugs me). Butterflies and flowers are pretty. Dinosaurs are cool, too. Would you let your daughter have a seat with dinosaurs? Then why not your son a seat with flowers?

Get the XT. It's nicer and you won't regret being too safe. Get it in pink if that's what she wants. You're talking years from now, anyway, that cover will likely be grody by then and you'll WANT to replace it.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Get the XT. It is a HUGE step up from the Radian, IMO. I just got mine the other day and I can't believe the difference between it and the Radian 65 that DD is riding in right now. Really, it is a very nice seat. And, get the pink! Of course, get the pink! You will :love: it!

zeo2ski

Also, in that particular car you'd want the wings if it were ever outboard. Don't feel guilty about protecting one child to a greater degree than the others--each child that's protected is separate. Do what's best for you and the kids.

I just remembered something I tried once--the Cosco Protek booster (I think they call it something else now though) is a HBB converts to backless, $30 at walmart.com and is very narrow. I was able to fit those in the third row with any combination (I was messing with 2 proteks, a MA, a RN, a TF and a SR). I think they're 14 or 15 inches. It's a cheap-o booster for sure, but better than nothing and it'll fit in the back. Actually I bet a turbo would fit with a RN back there.

Get the pink. The XT. Because you just HAVE to have the XT, right, and there aren't any real good colors besides the pink.

AtTheSouthDam

Get the XT. I love it and I was hesitant about a radian. My girls fight over it and it's the back up. I thought DD1 would be too big but she has 1/2" to go or so. I have never had a seat I like as much as this EVEN with the install problems.

As far as the pink goes, after two girls and nothing but pink for five years I am sick of it. No more pink seats.

Kat_Momof3

buy it... and buy it in pink!

the headrest will make for more comfy ff sleeping.... and when you pass it down, you can buy a new (or used from swap) cover for it in a boy color.

In fact, by then the malibu will likely be discontinued as a pattern and you will be able to sell the coverset as a "rare" cover for more than a new boy one will cost you. (going by how it has been with britax covers)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC