No bulky coats in a booster too??

twinsmom

Does the 'no bulky coats' rule apply to boosters as well as harnessed seats? If so, does the "coat trick" work?

ADS

Maedze

There was a thread here fairly recently about this. There was some disagreement, but I am of the opinion that bulky coats do not belong under any restraint, including a seatbelt. There is a danger of the seatbelt simply not lying properly on the person as it tightens, and back seat belts often don't have pretensioners, meaning the belt will simply lock in an accident, not actually tighten back up.

I use the 'coat trick' with my son when he rides in a booster.

skaterbabs

Yep, no coats in the car. The sad part is that my kids ae so well strained that when my 5 yo is wearing a jacket that is fine for the seat her brothers still make her take it off. LOL

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, no coats in the car. The sad part is that my kids ae so well strained that when my 5 yo is wearing a jacket that is fine for the seat her brothers still make her take it off. LOL

My kids do that too! My daughter will get to the car in her plastic raincoat (one with no insulation, just a layer of plastic to keep her dry) and even if it's not wet and I'd be fine with her wearing it she will insist on taking it off! And then turn and help her little sister! LOL.

twinsmom

My kids do that too! My daughter will get to the car in her plastic raincoat (one with no insulation, just a layer of plastic to keep her dry) and even if it's not wet and I'd be fine with her wearing it she will insist on taking it off! And then turn and help her little sister! LOL.

That's so cute! It feels so good to instill good habits in them, doesn't it?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It does.

Especially because they do occasionally ride with my parents, and while I can install the seats for them, I need to know that my kids know how to tell them when the harness is not tight enough, take their coats off before they get in, etc., because this is all new info to my parents and they have a hard time remembering sometimes.

Kat_Momof3

I stayed out of that discussion as it seemed to be that those that had the pretensioners had one opinion and the ones that don't have another... so there was enough without me chiming in.

I don't have pretensioners, and seatbelts fit very differently if you add anything thick underneath... so yes, if you don't have them, I would advise removing the coat or using the cheat.

in my siggy pic, you can see all 3 of my kids, one harnessed, one booster, and one in just a seatbelt, all buckled under their coats.... the oldest and youngest using the cheat, the middle one using his coat as a blanket (he prefers this when he wants to relax/close his eyes and lean his head on the wings of his booster, because he is one of those kids who can't fall asleep without a blanket unless he's just beyond tired)

I just plain take my own coat off.... on the rare occasion I use it (I've found a really super tightly-knit hooded sweatshirt that works well enough for me in most conditions here).

skaterbabs

I typically leave my coat in the floorboard of the front seat (or at home) on all but the coldest days and just wear a wool blend cardigan - and a very lightweight one at that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC