Size difference between Regent and Safeguard

Splash

I've already buried the FN in my mind, I don't know why. I've basically convinced myself it won't work, though. Or I've convinced myself I need a Safeguard. Or I'm just nervous because I've already sold the Regent on the assumption that the FN will work (oops!).

So... what is the overall size difference between the two, specifically front-back. The Regent fit wonderfully and perfectly and WHY DID I SELL THE REGENT (!?!?!) and now I'm nervous. My backseat is so abysmally small and I need something he can climb into from the side, instead of from the front. So I need low/no sidewalls at the bottom (why the GN was giving me trouble, he had to go up and over those armrests, so the FN not having them is appealing) and not too "deep" front to back. I really should have kept the Regent until the FN got here so I could be positive. I can still put a GN in my car (and probably will if the FN doesn't work and the SG is a no go) so I'm not ultra panicking. Selling the Regent *was* the right choice, I get that.

Can someone take side by side pictures for me? Or real life photos of its size? The website photos always suck.

My backseat is pretty much like this L L, versus the van where it's more like L L. There is soooo little room for his legs already, and it's so hard for him to climb over and up from the front, I really need a seat I can easily load from the side.

Anyone?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, you know, if you're going to buy a new Regent, now's a good time... :whistle:

I did give measurements in the other thread on the Safeguard. :) Unfortunately I don't know that it's low enough profile for you. :(

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm running out for a while, but I MIGHT be able to get comparison photos for you later.

In the meantime, these might or might not help.

SafeGuard vs. Nautilus (in highest positions):
IMGP2106.jpg

Nautilus vs. Regent (both uninstalled, I think):
IMGP2196.jpg

I know you're not asking about the Nautilus, but I think you have one (?) so it might help with your frame of reference.

Splash

Safeguard vs Nautilus in ring one!

Actually, those are great. I will, of course, offer rep for SG v Regent pictures, but I'm liking these as well. Look like it sits up about as high as the GN, which is no problem. There are still sides, but not quite as deep as the GN and not covered in rubber so they won't pull his pants down on every trip. Depth appears similar. Hmmmm....

And the GN is really starting to freak me out when it's completely extended. It looks like some weird car-seat ET and I am not completely sure I could handle riding around with it.

Mommy0608

And the GN is really starting to freak me out when it's completely extended. It looks like some weird car-seat ET and I am not completely sure I could handle riding around with it.

HAHA! I thought I was the only one! From the day I first saw it, I thought of ET... every time I look at it in the store I think of that. :rolleyes:

Just had to share. :D

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Depth appears similar.

The overall depth is similar, but the Nautilus has more seating room.

IMGP2115.jpg

IMGP2116.jpg

I'm going to TRY to get some Regent vs. SG photos in a little bit here, but it's starting to rain and I don't have use of my garage at the moment.

If it helps with your decision at all, we have a Nautilus, SafeGuard, and a Regent. We use the Nautilus and the Regent. The SG sits in a closet. I :love: the seat, but DS prefers the Nautilus b/c of the cupholders and cubbies and whatnot, and I prefer the Regent because it sits lower and lets DS stretch out more.

Splash

What about a Radian XT? Is that an option?

Charlie absolutely hated the RN80 we had. HATED it. Hated it so much that it came out of the box, was used once for a camping trip where he screamed the entire way, and promptly sold in box for $150. Talk about a steal for someone! I wanted it to work, I wanted one with SIP, but it's a no go. Besides, while it installed beautifully with LATCH, it would not install in either of our vehicles in any seat with the belt.

The overall depth is similar, but the Nautilus has more seating room.

Discouraging, but helpful to know! I guess that seats out!

Did you sell your pre-advisory Regent? :eek:

Im still trying to get rid of mine. :rolleyes:

It was a post. I got rid of the pre a long time ago. WHY I don't know. Something stupid I did.

oxeye

No pictures because I don't have the Regent anymore, but the Regent is lower profile than the Safeguard and definitely easier to get in and out of on the side. The Safeguard has high sides so when we were using it in DH's car, DD1 had to climb into it from the front.

My biggest complaint with it is that for a seat designed for older kids, the seat depth is really shallow, yet the whole seat still takes up a ton of room front to back. DD1 likes to cross her legs in front of her in the Frontier (and Regent) and looks really comfy - she can't do that in the Safeguard. She's not as comfortable in the Safeguard (and tells me that she prefers the Frontier). I never asked her which she liked better between the Regent and the Safeguard.

I really love the Frontier btw .... maybe you could try it out before ruling it out completely?

Mom to a few

I have to ditto everything oxeye said. I have a Regent and Safeguard, and if I could only choose to keep one....it would be the Regent. DS2 rides in one in my vehicle, and the other in Dh's car--and EVERY time he climbs into the SG (at least 2-3 times a week), he tells me that it's not as comfortable as his other seat (the Regent). The only reason I bought the SG in the first place was because there was the shortage of Regents when that Kyle David Miller video came out. I wouldn't buy it again, and will probably sell it when DS2 moves into a booster :twocents:. I'll just put #3 in the Regent, and only transport in one vehicle.

Splash

Okay, I'm pretty much sold against it. It's too narrow. I knew it was when I first saw it (probably a year ago or more) and Charlie complained about it then. I'm not gonna get one. If the FN doesn't work, it'll be another GN or <gasp> an AOE.

J-max

CPST Instructor
HAHA! I thought I was the only one! From the day I first saw it, I thought of ET... every time I look at it in the store I think of that. :rolleyes:

Just had to share. :D
I figured I was the only one :)

We have 2 in the back seat of the pick-up and they drive me crazy!!! Good thing I don't actaully have to look out the backwindow often 95% of the time there is a 1000lb hay bale or a trailer back there.

Kat_Momof3

off topic, but about the Nautilus looking like ET fully extended... you'll never have to ride around with that in the car if you never use it as a booster... because that slot isn't for booster use... it's above the last harnessed spot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC