2002 Subaru Forester - Safe? Carseat Compatible?

M

mimieliza

My fiance and I are looking at purchasing a 2002 Subaru Forester. We know that the AWD is a great feature. We would like this car to last us a long time, even when we start a family. Has anyone had any trouble installing carseats? The back seat is a little short on leg room. Also, the car we are looking at (slightly used) is not LATCH equipped, but it does have upper tethers.

Any experience or info about the Forester would be appreciated.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Forester is nice-

I thought the Forester had LATCH when it was updated for 2001, and I am almost positive it had lower anchors for 2002. It might be worth checking again, since my memory is not the greatest:)

The Forester is one of the better small SUVs for crashworthiness, along with the Saturn Vue and 2002-2003 Honda CR-V.

I think 1999-2002 Forester models are pretty similar for seating otherwise. You can check those years for compatible seats by visiting the "Compatibility" link under the top banner, to the far right.

Finally, you might also consider the 2000 and newer Subaru Legacy and Outback wagons. The size is very similar to the Forester, if not a hair larger. We really like our Outback!

dylantomcat

Better late than never

By now you've probably either bought the Forester or a different car. I just wanted to say that I have a 2003 Forester and I've been very happy with the way my son's car seats have fit in the back. We evn have a Britax Husky back there. My worry though is that when we have baby #2, the rear facing seat won't recline enough. The back seat area is pretty small compared with my Honda CRV. I love my Forester though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC