can a britax car seat be retrofitted w/ LATCH?

TheQueenMother

I am getting a spare MA from a friend, great condition but preLATCH. Can I have it retrofitted with a tether?
Thanks
Amanda

ADS

Michi

I called Britax to ask this about our '02 RA and they told me "no."
They said that if that model was not manufactured with LATCH, then it was not tested with LATCH.

Are you sure it doesn't have LATCH? I thought all MA's were made with LATCH???
( Now, RA's are another story, because they have been around longer than the MA,
but the first MA's only came out a few years ago, and I thought that they have had LATCH from the beginning???)
...I could very well be wrong, though.

TheQueenMother

HMMM, maybe I am wrong, she said the seat is almost 5 years old and I had seen a post somewhere about a 2002 RA not having LATCH and my 2002 MA has LATCH so I thought her pre-2002 MA would not have LATCH either. Maybe it does.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Remember that Britax seats expire in 6 years. It sounds like you'll only get a lil over a year out of this seat.

Susan

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Britax didn't begin to sell the Marathon in the U.S. until the fall of 2002. Any new seat sold in the U.S. after 9/1/2002 was required to be LATCH compatible, so your friend's Marathon has to be LATCH equipped. It also probably wouldn't have a date of manufacture more than 4 years old since the Marathon was a brand new model launched in the fall of 2002, so it would have around 2 years remaining before it expires. Roundabouts made prior to the LATCH requirement didn't come with LATCH and cannot be retrofitted for LATCH, but all Marathons should be LATCH equipped. The LATCH straps may be tucked into the storage pouches for them on either side of the Marathon's cover. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC