Tether Install

U

Unregistered

I have a 1979 Mercury Capri. I would like to put a tether in so my two year old and I can go to shows together. How do I install one? What are the structural requirements?...i.e...Does it go threw the frame?.....add extra steel plate?........please don’t tell me to go to my local dealer. I do all my own work...if I do it I know it will be correct....I just need the proper guideline (specifications document) to go by.....

Thanks
Dan

ADS
M

MomTo1

If you have predrilled locations in your vehicle, then I'd say it would be okay to install them yourself.

But to actually drill one yourself? Just take it to a dealer. Most will install one for free.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hate to burst your bubble about avoiding the dealership, but you most likely will need to obtain the tether anchor hardware (if it's even available for your car) through a car dealership and maybe even have it installed there. It's not something you can simply purchase from an auto supply store or hardware store. Hopefully techs on the board can find out if there is a tether anchor part/kit available for your model. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Unregistered said:
please don’t tell me to go to my local dealer. I do all my own work...if I do it I know it will be correct....I just need the proper guideline (specifications document) to go by.....

I know you don't want to hear it, but go to your local dealer. :rolleyes:
That's great that you want to do your own work, but this is one case where that might not be appropriate. With a 1979 car, you may need more than the typical "kit" to install the tether anchors. I am definitely not an expert on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't predrilled holes in your car, with it being an antique. I'm not sure how the dealership will put in tethers, but they will do it if they can.

Sorry!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm pretty sure your car doesn't have predrilled holes so you might not even be able to add them to the car. I don't think the predrilled holes started till early 90s (why they just didn't add tethers then is beyond me).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I would start by calling the manufacturer & let them send you to the dealership -- they may have to discuss the matter with the dealership....

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I might be stating the obvious, but you don't have to have a tether (except for some HWH seats or specialty seats - which you will most likely need later since I'm betting you have lap only seat belts in the back seat).

Yes, tethers decreased head excursion, but retrofitting in a '79 will require much research as well as talking to the dealer and the manufacturer. It might not be allowed.

You could buy/borrow a LATCH manual (from www.saferidenews.com or from your local tech/Safekids Organization). There are installation instructions, contact information, and part numbers. However, my '01 ed. doesn't give anything before the LATE 80's (except some of the Euro cars - Volvo).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I might be stating the obvious, but you don't have to have a tether (except for some HWH seats or specialty seats - which you will most likely need later since I'm betting you have lap only seat belts in the back seat).

In Canada all forward facing seats are supposed to be tethered. ;) Not sure where the OP is from, but thought I'd add that.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Unregistered said:
I have a 1979 Mercury Capri. I would like to put a tether in so my two year old and I can go to shows together. How do I install one? What are the structural requirements?...i.e...Does it go threw the frame?.....add extra steel plate?........please don’t tell me to go to my local dealer. I do all my own work...if I do it I know it will be correct....I just need the proper guideline (specifications document) to go by.....

Thanks
Dan

Yes, the LATCH manual from www.saferidenews.com has instructions how to install tether anchor hardware. You would need to get an anchor and drill a hole into a safe place (ie, through reinforced sheet metal). Some 'generic' anchors, which I think they sell through Canadian sites, come with huge metal washers that act as reinforcement plates (they used to come with all carseats a few years ago). www.ezonpro.com may sell separate heavy duty anchors (they sell these with their vests, normally, I believe). This page shows 'basically' what adding a top tether looks like (Carseat Data website closed - link broken)
And one last option, if your dd is forward facing and between 25-40 pounds, would be the Cosco Tote n' Go vest, which can be used with a lap only belt. It's not very easy to use properly, but it does meet (exceed nicely, actually) all current safety standards and just might fit in that car.
Another good resource would be www.carseat.org. I think they have a toll-free number and can often be VERY helpful (one or two of the gals who work there had top tethered carseats back in the 70's, even!)

Best of luck!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
snowbird25ca said:
In Canada all forward facing seats are supposed to be tethered. ;) Not sure where the OP is from, but thought I'd add that.

That's true. Having a top tether for FF seats has been the law since the early 70s in Canada.

However, if the poster is from the U.S., there is a very high chance that there is not only no tether, but no shoulder belts either.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
snowbird25ca said:

Thanks for the info. :eek: Just consider me another ugly American, ignorant of most things non US.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC