CG-Lock?

Mommy0608

What exactly is a CG-Lock? I don't know much about this, and just looked it up online after seeing it referenced in a recent thread. It appears to be something that locks the seatbelt. Is it considered safe? My hunch is that it's just another aftermarket product and the same effect could be obtained by locking the seatbelt (of course, with the exception of those that can't be pre-crash locked).

On their website, they link to the SeatSnug. Haven't heard of this either.

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
There are a few threads here on this. Here is one:
CG-lock.

An instructor that I do checks with had this to say about the product when I questioned her about it:
I've seen this before. It does NOT have FMVSS 'blessing' in the US for many reasons.
- it is an 'after market' product
- the video demos (so the experts say) are staged...the boy is obviously overexaggerating his movements in video without the lock (arms flailing to side which would increase momentum, he looks greater than 100 lbs etc etc)
- the lock will actually inhibit the free movement of the shoulderbelt (which must run its course through the lapbelt)
- everyone who knows restraints knows that restraints are developed for the protection of injury from the most frequent sites of impact.... i.e. front-end impact collisions.
- in case of restraints other than boosters, one can obviously see that the restraint was installed incorrectly. ie. it was not tight enough, or.... it required the use of locking clip and clip was not applied. The forward excursion of the harness seat in the video shows that clearly. Also....you have to remember that not all of the US has made rear-tethering use into law.
- Transport Canada does not condone use of aftermarket products, but like any other aftermarket product, hands are tied until complaints come in (or deaths are proved to be cause of that specific item).

There is a chance that this product will show up in Canadian seller's market, just like the snuggle bags, shoulder strap adjusters etc etc. It is up to people like us to discourage people from using them. We see more harm than good in this product.

I haven't seen or heard really anything more about these in a quite awhile.

WhatAboutPuppy

You can experience the same effect by pulling the belt out and twisting the belt itself again and again at the site of the buckle, I didn't this when riding in my friend's cop car because the seat was large, vinyl covered and I slid all over when we'd ride lights and sirons to an inccident. It did keep me in place way better.

That's not to say it's actually safe in the least!! Just that the product does what it says it will.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Twisting the seatbelt at the buckle is generally a suggestion for tightening up a harnessed carseat installation, not for riding in a belt positioning booster or in the seatbelt alone because there's a possibility that a twisted seatbelt will not be properly positioned flatly across the passenger. :twocents:

The above CG-Lock after market item isn't an acceptable means of restraining a child in a belt positioning booster seat. I also noticed the child's "space ship style acting" like unbelted crew members on a dramatic Star Trek Enterprise combat or evasive maneuver action sequence in the product videos to exaggerate the child's movement in the vehicle. :p Locking the seatbelt at the shoulder belt retractor if the vehicle and booster seat allow for it, or using an appropriate 5-point harnessed seat for a child who otherwise won't stay properly positioned in the booster, would be suggested alternatives to an unapproved after market product. :twocents:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Twisting the seatbelt at the buckle is generally a suggestion for tightening up a harnessed carseat installation, not for riding in a belt positioning booster or in the seatbelt alone because there's a possibility that a twisted seatbelt will not be properly positioned flatly across the passenger. :twocents:
Not only that but if and when that seatbelt locks on you, you are going to have a twisted seatbelt digging into your body where ever it is touching as you are being pushed into the seatbelt (ie. quick slamming on breaks = seatbelt locking). Not only being uncomfortable the webbing in the seatbelt can't work properly if it is twisted :twocents:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Exactly the side effect of twisting that we want to avoid, thanks for clarifying.

Kat_Momof3

you could also achieve this simply by having lightweight locking latchplates or a locking retractor and locking the belt (when you have to do it manually)

in the UK, the belts don't lock... their carseats have built-in lockoffs for both portions of the belt... so that's why they are having this problem.

in the us, while I'm sure they mean well, they are trying to solve a problem that most parents dont' realize they can so easily fix or don't even have.

really, in the uk, they'd be better to petition vehicles to have locking seatbelts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC