OK, if not the Regent then what?

HEVY

What's going to come close? The Frontier has issues, but doesn't it still need a tether? The GN, I think she will outgrow it sooner than I'm ready for a booster, I thought that also needed a tether. Safeguard, don't know too much about it except it cost way too much.
I did want to start training her in a booster and I lost out on that great Monterey sale, now there's the sale on the Vivo, but looks like she might fit too snug. And I'm not as impressed with the depth of the side impact of it.
But that was for training, not actually using. The 86y? Nope, needs a tether.

For those who don't know why I am considering a switch is because I seem to be looking for a car that fits my Regent instead of just looking for a car.

ADS

keri1292

Is your Regent pre-advisory? The Regent really does fit in most cars. What cars are you currently considering? I'm sure we can tell you which will definitely fit.

HEVY

Rachel is 50lbs and 44 inches, 16 1/2 torso. I have both a pre and post Regent. I want a Sienna, T&C, possible a Sedona, Caravan or MPV, in that order. A T&C costs almost half of what a Sienna does. The T&C has the deep slanted seats and the Caravan has the slanted/slopey seats. Not many Caravans this way. I am trying to build up a trip to Brooklyn being they have a variety of the seats I want. I am also going to go mself and try to install the seats first. But I would really like to save myself the trouble of looking at a car that has install issues with the Regent. But I don't want to be too picky, so if i have to go for another seat then I guess that's that.

Keri you already told me it fits in a T&C.

LuvBug

The pre is the way to be! Really, it is the only thing out there right now... If you install the pre with LBP and no recline bar, how does she fit? DS is in a husky(so pre) and I have it installed LBP with no recline bar. He is using the top slots at 5.5 ~48" and ~48lbs(haven't done new stats in a few months). He is just above the 2nd from top, so he basically has an entire slot to go. In the GN he was even with the top of the floor model. I was told the frontier is the same height or slightly shorter... so neither of those are an option for us.
There really is no comparison seat to the pre on the market right now... the post aren't comparable, their top slots got shortened and with requiring the recline bar you lose height too :( I don't know what I'd do if something happened to my pre seats.

Oh and I have had experience installing the regent in a T&C and freestar... also a corolla, taurus, GMC truck, accord, impala, um... maybe some more lol!

valleyfam

I have both a Regent and a Nauti. The Nauti does not require a top tether. Of course everyone recommends one but my main draw to the Nauti was it not being required. DH and GMa do not have top anchors and I really needed a seat they could use on rare occasions. I have been super happy with it. I don't recall exact top harness heights but they are pretty close. I can measure for you if you can't find it here. My only issue with the Nauti is the fact it can not have any over hang. This is an issue in our 91 Chevy extended cab. I had to resort to a booster in the truck but we really only all travel in it a couple of times a year. (Mostly to get the Christmas tree:D) I don't think any van seats will be an issue there. I have installed the Nauti in my friend's 05 Grand Caravan no problem in any position again though if we have both her kids and mine we run out of top anchors. Also what about the Apex 65? I've never seen one IRL but would really love to play with one. You could use it for dd and maybe pass to dgd since it rf and ff. New car and new seats oh the stress!!!!

LuvBug

well then a T&C would be out too... they are basically the same van with different labels on them(like the 3n1, AO, and EB)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If she is 5yo with a 16.5" torso, she should get at least two years in the Nautilus. Unless there are special needs, 7yo is a perfectly appropriate age for booster use.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
You won't have any trouble with Regents in a Sedona. My parents didn't even cuss me when I left them with the two Regents, which had to be moved between their F350 and the sitter's Sedona daily while I was on my honeymoon.

Splash

Charlie has almost as much room in a Nautilus as a Regent. Really, he does. Buy a Nautilus. It's fabu.

What slot is she on in the Regent? Charlie is a smidge below the second slots on a GN and a smidge above (though still using them) the second on the Regent when used with RB.

HEVY

Strange, I have tried out two T&C and fit perfectly, better than my Sable. I have tried two Caravans and I can't even get in :( I have yet to try the Sienna, I might not even fit in that.
She is on the top slots of both Regents, the pre installed LBP, no recline, she is just above the second slot. The Post she is almost to the top slot, literally. I'm also trying to get one with captains seats so I can recline the seat in the car then put it back so I can get a straighter install with the post. I have to say I REALLY DO NOT want to get rid of my Regents, I could live with a GN if I really HAD to. LOL, I was hoping she would be in the Regent until she was like 10, at the very least 9.

This is back in May, she was about 42 inches and 43lbs, I can't remember the torso, it was between 15 1/2 and 16. She went through two major growth spurts between them and Oct. and she has maintained since.
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=46949

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Safeguard does not require a tether at any weight. :thumbsup:

And, it can be had for about $200 right now.

And, it is a really really really great seat. (I just bought 2...)

And, my kids fight over sitting in it (in the living room) because it's so comfy (memory foam in the seat and all...)

LuvBug

Strange, I have tried out two T&C and fit perfectly, better than my Sable. I have tried two Caravans and I can't even get in :( I have yet to try the Sienna, I might not even fit in that.
The different models will be different sizes. I can't speak for the new T&C but the older ones had a short-wheel-base model and a long-wheel-base model that altered the room it had. My mom had the short-wheel-base and it was a PITA as far as capacity. You can go to their websites and compare deminsions. It is possible you were comparing different model classes, or even that the seat or wheel was just not adjust the same in each vehicle.

She is on the top slots of both Regents, the pre installed LBP, no recline, she is just above the second slot. The Post she is almost to the top slot, literally. I'm also trying to get one with captains seats so I can recline the seat in the car then put it back so I can get a straighter install with the post. I have to say I REALLY DO NOT want to get rid of my Regents, I could live with a GN if I really HAD to. LOL, I was hoping she would be in the Regent until she was like 10, at the very least 9.

If she really fits like that, which is how my DS fits, she won't hardly have any room in the GN. She will have some, but not enough for me to buy it for DS.

The safeguard childseat may be an option if you can find it for a good price! Is it available for really cheap again?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
LOL, I was hoping she would be in the Regent until she was like 10, at the very least 9.

It seems like you're having a hard time finding everything you want in a car at a price you can afford. (Trust me, I understand how that goes!) I can honestly say, though, that both as a CPST and a parent, keeping a child harnessed to age 10 would be the lowest priority on the list.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The safeguard childseat may be an option if you can find it for a good price! Is it available for really cheap again?

eToys still has it for $200. It's about $30 for shipping. Hipmonkey will match the price (with the shipping) and you can use a code as well if you want a new DOM (the ones at eToys have 10/07 DOM.)

LuvBug

she looks to have lots of room in the pictures from oct... how much has she grown since? It might be worth a try if she really fits like that. DS does not, but he is a boy with no rear or anything, he fits how he fits same day every day...

And don't worry about harnessing her until 10... by the time she outgrows her pre, there may be other options. Also don't forget about the 86-Y harness as an option either ;) (for when she outgrows other available harnesses)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC