Question 2008 Chevy uplander TAs

NannyMom

2008 Chevy uplander TAs & headrest

I'm putting my GN in the 2nd row of a rental Uplander. The manual wikth the van says it's a 2008. I think they are bucket seats (not really sure what that is... but that's what the manual is calling them.

I can't seem to get the tether hooks on the TA. Am I supposed to actually hook the hook on the "wrong" way (I know I read about that somewhere here for some vehicle)? Am I using the wrong thing as a TA? Any advice?

Last edited:
ADS

crunchierthanthou

I can't seem to get the tether hooks on the TA. Am I supposed to actually hook the hook on the "wrong" way (I know I read about that somewhere here for some vehicle)? Am I using the wrong thing as a TA? Any advice?
no. I believe only Ford Windstars tether upside down.

I haven't been in an Uplander yet, but if it's anything like the Venture it replaced, it's a PITA. It was easiest to fold the seatback forward and hook the tether before installing the carseat.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If the 2008 anchors aren't different than previous years (we've rented a few,) the only way I've ever found to get the tethers attached the right way is to fold the seat forward, then attach the tether. Folding the seat gives you the manoeuvring room you need to get the hook attached.

They are a bugger, aren't they?

HTH! :)

ETA: Whoops, Crunchy beat me!

NannyMom

That's what I was affraid of :rolleyes:

Also...anyone know how to remove the 3rd row headrests? Or...flip them back (that's what it looks like they do)? I don't like how the Vivo sits with them there.

unityco

If the headrests operate the same way as the Trailblazer's, you again need to fold the seat first. That seems to trigger the mechanism that allows the headrests to fold. When you put the seat back up, the headrests will stay down unless you put them back in place yourself. :thumbsup:

NannyMom

If the headrests operate the same way as the Trailblazer's, you again need to fold the seat first. That seems to trigger the mechanism that allows the headrests to fold. When you put the seat back up, the headrests will stay down unless you put them back in place yourself. :thumbsup:

LOL, thanks! This is certainly a weird van. But, at least I have a van I can get 4 carseats in instead of the 3 in the Impala :) Even if the baby has to go in the 3rd row :rolleyes:

NannyMom

I folded the 3rd row seat, and the headrest "unlocks" and can fold back. However, it doesn't stay back. Ugh! As soon as the seat starts to unfold, the headrest goes back. It won't "lock" anywhere but up (and in the way of the booster).

I can't find my manual for the Vivo. The back of the Vivo isn't fully resting on the back of the vehicle seat, because of the headrest pushing forward. Am I correct in assuming this is no ok?

I can't put A in the center seat for 2 reasons. 1- I don't think I can get the SS1 base back there. 2- The seatbelt comes from the seatback and it would be below the belt guide (thinking it'd be below A's shoulder too, but I don't have her here to check).

I didn't mind putting the SS1 in the 3rd row because I just click the seat in. But I'm not going to put Sofi back there because that'd be a huge PITA! Ugh...I may need to request another van tomorrow :rolleyes: Or...should I just put A in a backless booster (hmm..didn't see side curtain airbags in the manual...and didn't look in the van yet).

unityco

I folded the 3rd row seat, and the headrest "unlocks" and can fold back. However, it doesn't stay back. Ugh! As soon as the seat starts to unfold, the headrest goes back. It won't "lock" anywhere but up.

D'oh! I'm sorry my advice wasn't true. Can you hold the headrests back while you fold the seat back up, or do they fight you?

NannyMom

D'oh! I'm sorry my advice wasn't true. Can you hold the headrests back while you fold the seat back up, or do they fight you?

That's ok. Maybe it was true for a different model year :)

I can hold the headrests back all I want, but they do fight me. They don't even lock back when the seat is folded. It only moves back far enough to be out of the way (the 2nd row seat was folded and moved far back... the headrest moved because the 2nd row seat was in it's way).

btw- where's the banging my head against the wall smiley?

crunchierthanthou

I can't find my manual for the Vivo. The back of the Vivo isn't fully resting on the back of the vehicle seat, because of the headrest pushing forward. Am I correct in assuming this is no ok?

according to the vivo manual, it needs to be flush. Did you use the backrest adjustment mechanism on the Vivo to see if you could get a better fit?

NannyMom

according to the vivo manual, it needs to be flush. Did you use the backrest adjustment mechanism on the Vivo to see if you could get a better fit?

Thanks. I totally forgot about the backrest adjustment :eek: I think we usually have it on the middle setting. I'll go check now. But....if leaning that forward makes her sit leaning forward, is that really safe? :confused:

Edit.... I adjusted the back and the seat *looks* fine. She would be sitting in it ok. LOL, except that none of the back of the Vivo touches the back of the seat (just the entire base portion touches).

Another Edit.... I guess it's a backless booster for tomorrow at least. *sigh* I expect to be getting my van (Sienna) back in a few days (by Friday). Should I stick with this van and a backless booster for A (makes me feel a bit nervous after using Vivo so long) or ask for another van tomorrow?

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Recent MY's of Chevy have come standard with side curtain airbags. I'm not sure about the 08, but check the van manual if it's there, or look for the little "airbag" imprint in the panel near door beams up at the edge of the roof.

I'd probably just stick with a backless booster rather than go through the hassle of having to change vehicles, but it's ultimately up to you.

FWIW, it's ok for an adult or boostered child to sit in the seating position where the shoulder portion comes out from the top of the seatback even if their shoulders are above where the belt comes out of the vehicle seat. My concern would be if there was adequate head support. :thumbsup:

(Don't ask me why this is ok when using just the seatbelt - maybe it has to do with the upper torso movement being enough regardless that there isn't any chance of spinal compression? I don't know, I just know that my center of my 2nd row has a seatbelt like that and there aren't any warnings about not having adults sit there. I'm guessing that the 5th %ile female dummy must sit that high anyways and that's what the back seat is designed to fit at a minimum. It's actually a question I've been meaning to ask but haven't gotten around to. :eek:)

NannyMom

Well, A can't sit in the center with a backless because her entire head is over the seat (duh!). The Vivo fits center, but it's the fact that the seatbelt goes up to get to the belt guide. I thought I'd read on another thread that it wasn't ok? Can we have it verified by more CPSTs that that's ok? I think A's shoulder would be below where the seatbelt is coming out of the seat, but the belt guide on the Vivo is higher.

I didn't see any signs in the van of side curtain airbags. I spke with someone at enterprise this morning.... he said they often don't get "extras" like curtain airbags :rolleyes: The Impala had them... and also had power seats, and the remote to lock/unlock the doors. And this van has nothing. They don't have any other vans right now, or SUVs to fit 4 carseats. So....I can spend my day calling other Enterprise offices or just deal with it. So.... deal I will do. Just til Friday I'll keep telling myself :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just checked online and SAB weren't standard on the 08 Uplander. I'm surprised because so many other GM vehicles are coming standard with curtain airbags now.

Anyways, if the booster manual doesn't prohibit the shoulder belt starting out lower than the guide, I know of no reason not to use it. Lots of cars have a similar circumstance. Subaru with their belt guides to lower the shoulder belt at the seatback come to mind.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC