Three Across 3rd Row Honda Odyssey

U

Unregistered

I've got a 2006 Honda Odyssey. I want to be able to put 3 forward facing carseats in the third row for my 4-year old (40 lbs), 2-year old (33 lb) and various carpool kids (ages 2-5). I'd like to keep all the kids in a 5-point harness. We use the captain chairs in the 2nd row for our rearfacing 8-month old twins. The 4 year old and 2 year old are currently in Britax Marathons, which I'll use for the twins once they outgrow their Graco Snugrides.

I've searched thru the posts on this forum about how to fit three car seats across the third row of a Honda Odyssey....and people seem to suggest that the Radian would work....but I measured the third row seat and its 48 inches and the Radians (the 80 or the XT) are 17 inches wide...and 17 x 3 is 51....so.....before I go and spend the money buying 3 expensive carseats I want to make sure its going to work!! Can anyone speak from experience that its going to work??? Is there some trick? Cuz the math doesn't make sense!!

THANKS!!!

ADS

itzmeigh

It works.

This is a 2007 Odyssey but it is the same 3rd row as the 2006.

Here is 3 FFing Radians

P1020757.jpg

(In that picture the middle Radian isn't installed becuase I wasn't going to leave it there. I perfer to have the middle seat installed with LATCH because it is an easier install (in that spot) But that means that the child sitting in that spot needs to be under 40 pounds. Usually not a problem...)

And here is 2 FFing Radians and a booster...

P1040092.jpg

U

Unregistered

Thank you. We still haven't tried yet - will be doing so tomorrow. I will try to post if we have success.

o_mom

I have an older Ody, but I have done quite a few 3 across. The Radian is 17 inches at the widest point. At the base it is only 12-13" and widens near the top. If you put one on the end, the wide part ends up above the "armrest/cupholder/wheelwell". A Britax seat works well on the ends as well as the base puts it up above that part.

U

Unregistered

OK, that makes sense!!! I just couldn't figure out the math!! I've ordered ONE radian....to try it and see how it fits...and if it works, then I'll order the rest. THANK YOU!!!

U

Unregistered

We're also looking to fit three car seats/ boosters in our 3rd row 2006 Odyssey (7 y/old, 5 y/old, 4 y/old). (Two Graco Turboboosters and a Cosco high back booster car seat don't work!)

Are the seats in the photos Radian 65s or Radian 80s (or some other Radian)? I'd rather get the Radian (or maybe Radians) with the highest weight limit, but I imagine the 80s might be wider at some point than the 65s (even though the product description lists both as 17 inches wide). Thanks!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
They both appear to be Radian 80s based on the labeling on their covers, if the photo's poster didn't switch Radian 80 covers onto Radian 65 models. The covers are interchangeable between the 65 and 80 models because the Radian 65 and Radian 80 have identical dimensions, and either Radian model would fit the same in the vehicle as a result of these same dimensions. :)

lovinwaves

FYI: The middle seat in that photograph is not installed. Another poster on this forum has been unsuccessful in getting 3 Radians in a row in the third row bench. They do all three sit on the bench together, however, installing them is another thing.

From my experience, I would venture to guess this is an impossible install.

mamabearof3

Why would you guess that? We have a 03 Odyssey and I have a FF Radian Driver's outboard and center. Granted they have not been checked, but we got them pretty snug. I am wondering what your reasoning is because I am looking for a booster for when I have extra kiddos in tow and need to do 3 across.

Thanks,
Stacy in MN

ETA: 03s do not have latch in back. Our center install with lapbelt is solid.

Last edited:

itzmeigh

FYI: The middle seat in that photograph is not installed. Another poster on this forum has been unsuccessful in getting 3 Radians in a row in the third row bench. They do all three sit on the bench together, however, installing them is another thing.

I missed this! In my first pictures the middle seat is NOT installed. but in the other picture with the 2 Radians and the Booster the middle seat IS installed.

ETA: I wanted to clear this up because I went back and reread this thread. I posted the 2 pictures above. In the first picture with the 3 Radians the 2 OUTBOARD seats ARE installed with the seatbelt. The middle seat was NOT installed that that moment because I didn't plan to leave it there. But I HAVE installed all 3 seats just like that (I haven't tried a seatbelt install on the middle seat). In the second picture with the 2 Radians and the Booster ALL the seats are installed. Proving that a middle install is possible. 2 Radians fit on the 60 part of the 60/40 split and the other Radian or a booster will fit on the 40 part of the 60/40 split.

I will be more then happy to show all 3 Radians installed if I need to. The middle seat installs just fine with LATCH. And it very rock solid. I've used the 3 Radians in a 3 across in my 3rd row (all 3 installed) several times.

You can see in that picture with the 2 Radians and the booster that removing the booster and replacing it with another Radian would work just fine.

U

Unregistered

I fit 3 seat across the back of our 2008 Honda using 2 Radians and a marathon. I've also had a Radian on one side, marathon in the center and an alpha omega in booster mode on the other side.

U

Unregistered

What type of booster is in the picture? We tried to do this with 2 Radians and one Graco TurboBooster but the TurboBooster doesn't leave any room between to reach the buckle.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The belt positioning booster on the right hand side in the second picture is a Fisher Price Safe Voyage belt positioning booster, made by Britax but sadly discontinued a couple of years ago and pretty scarce. Albeebaby.com had oodles of them on closeout last year, but they're long since sold out.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I have five kids one of which will be in baby seat and another who will need to be rear facing as well. Can you fit a rear facing seat in back with two forward facing?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC