Question When to buy a booster for spare?

Mama2J

I was wondering at what age/size you all would feel comfortable using a booster for a spare (like when riding in someone else's car). J is 5yo, 42 inches tall, and 39 pounds. He has never used a booster and has never mentioned wanting one.

But I just don't know if I want to move the Regent around at this point if we needed to ride in another car, and I don't think he'd fit in a non-hwh seat if the person said we could use theirs. On the other hand, I'm worried that if I buy one too soon, he may not want to use the Regent anymore.

If I was going to get one, I like the Monterey. But I haven't looked at seats in a while, so I don't know if any newer boosters have come out.

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
My dd started booster training when she was 4.5 and hit 40 lbs. She does great in a booster most of the time. At 5+ and almost 40 lbs, I would feel fine with occassional booster use. I'd prefer to wait that 1 last lb, but 39 is very close.

If you are looking for a seat that is easy to move from car to car, the Monterey might not be the best bet. We have one in my dh's car and LOVE it but it is a bit heavier and more bulky.

natysr

I will likely buy one when Jordan enters Kindergarden. Not for HIM to use. But for other kids/his friends, just in case I need to help another mom out etc.

MomToEliEm

My older daughter rides in my regent in my car and the monterey booster in DH's truck. She has no problems switching between the two and has not yet complained about being harnessed.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Oh, forgot to address this issue. Perhaps my dd is just not like the other kids here, but she really really wants to ride in her booster all the time. She knows that in my car she rides in her harnessed seat but she always asks if she can ride in her booster. So, it's possible that your kiddo could start asking to ride in a booster more often. But, for us it's not a problem. She gets in her Frontier willingly but would love it if she could sit in her booster all the time. That is not happening just yet.

Mama2J

Thanks for your replies! I probably should wait for that extra pound. He is not growing a lot in weight lately, but has grown 4 inches in height in one year. He stayed at 37 pounds for almost two years and has just recently made it to 39 pounds.

Good point about other kids using it. I don't think any of his friends are harnessed and it would be nice to have something for them if necessary. He starts kinder this September. That approaching milestone is probably what made me start thinking about boosters.

I really only want to buy one booster when the time comes. Since the seat in dh's truck is a Nautilus, we won't need one for that vehicle. I do have a feeling once he uses a booster, he will want to all the time. That's why I'm trying to wait as long as I can, but still have one for when we need it. Right now, he has no problem with being harnessed, and I don't want to ruin that!

scatterbunny

We started booster training (beginning with just 5 minute--or less--trips around town) when dd was less than 4, IIRC. :eek: She was over 40#, though (hit 40# and 42" at 3y4mo), and no harnessed seat worked in dh's truck at the time. We were very cautious with how long the trips were in the beginning, and gradually increased the amount of time to fit her maturity and impulse control.

She didn't move to a booster full-time until 6 years old, 49 inches and 50 pounds.

In the roughly 2.5 years of booster-training we did, we never had any real major fights over booster vs. harness. Of course she asked at different times to use the booster over the harness, but she always understood that I had the final say on this issue, and that especially on longer trips, or trips on the highway, she had to use the harnessed seat. She easily switched from booster in other vehicles to harness in my vehicle, and when friends would ride with us, she'd usually let the friend pick between the harness and the booster (many of these kiddos weren't in anything but a seatbelt, but they'd gladly ride in either seat, sometimes even wanting the harnessed seat).

I wouldn't have a problem with beginning booster training a 5yo, 39# child. Start out slow, with short trips. Have someone sit in back with him, if necessary, to remind him how to sit properly. Explain that he will remain harnessed in the primary vehicle at all times, but the booster is safe for shorter trips when he can remember to sit properly.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ started using a booster when necessary at 4.5yo and just over 40#. He did really well at first, but then he figured out he can move, lol! He still needs reminding when he uses it and he's 5.5yo, but he rarely uses it so it's a matter of he just forgets. We keep one in the van for if he needs to go somewhere or someone might ride w/ us (though there's no room now till I get my Radians). Evan is little, he's nowhere close to 40# and doesn't have the ability to sit still at all so he'll have to be harnessed, but thankfully I don't expect him to be going anywhere till K and he'll be almost 6 then so hopefully he'll be better. AJ is in K this year and except for one field trip (where he had to take a harnessed seat since it was lap belt only), he's never gone anywhere w/ anyone.

emandbri

I started with Benjamin last spring he would have been almost 5, 43 or so lbs and 43 inches. I started doing it more because I wanted him to get used to the booster so I could leave with with my MIL since she forgot to tighten the straps on his seat. :eek:

I now only have one harness seat, the radian, that he can fit in so he will start using a booster more since I don't want to move the radian around.

christineka

I don't have the funds for two hwh seats, so once ds was 40 pounds he's used a booster as a spare. He had issues with the radian, but the nautilus looks so much like a turbobooster that he's fine riding in it in the main vehicle and using the booster in the car.

Mama2J

Thanks for the tips on booster training. I hadn't thought about needing to get him used to it before going into it full-time. But I can see it being a transition after being harnessed for 5 years, not being able to move the top half of his body and then suddenly being able to move more freely.

What is a good type of booster to get? I know the Monterey is heavy to move, but I like that it has LATCH and converts to a backless for (much) later. Are all the LATCH boosters heavy? Is safety/fit as much of an issue between different models as it is with harnessed seats?

Last edited:

scatterbunny

Fit of the child to the booster (mainly, proper belt positioning) is the biggest factor to consider, because the child will not be protected optimally if the seat belts are not positioned optimally. So, look for a booster that keeps the lap belt low on the hips, and keeps the shoulder belt on the shoulder/collar bone area (not up on the neck, or so far over that it could fall off the shoulder). The seat should be comfortable for the child, and should make the child sit up straight, not slump down (which could eventually lead the lap belt to ride up too high).

The LATCHable boosters are pretty heavy, IMO. I'd focus most on a booster that provides a good fit for just-turned-40# kiddos, and my top pick for smaller booster riders is actually the Graco TurboBooster, unless you can snag a Britax Parkway or Monarch (but the Monarch isn't exactly lightweight and easy to move around, although it isn't terrible, either).

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
For a spare, I would want a smaller one, lighter. We have the Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster and it's nice b/c the back fits under my back seat, lol. I can keep it in the car all the time. If I was going to get one for AJ to go into full time right now, I'd get the Monterey. I need a latching booster for full time use. ;) Maybe the Recaro Vivo Lite?

scatterbunny

The Vivo is a great booster, I adore it, but the lowest headrest setting is kind of high compared to the Turbo/Parkway/Monarch/FPSVB. Andie's average-sized 6.5yo almost needed the lowest setting on the Vivo, and could use the Turbo/PW/FPSVB on a higher setting.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
See, my kids are so long torsoed, I don't think about those things. ;) Thanks for the info. I have yet to see one IRL. The baby store here doesn't sell boosters (besides the Olli) b/c 'there was no demand for them'. :( I think all BRU has is Graco.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Jennifer, I've never seen the Vivo either. I need to call around and see if anyone around here has one. I don't need one but would love to just see one irl so that I actually have some clue when someone talks about them.

scatterbunny

Yeah, until I actually sat Andie's son in the Vivo and Turbo and Parkway and FPSVB, I didn't realize quite how high the Vivo's lowest setting is, and judging based solely on looks, I assumed it would be a fantastic fit for smaller booster riders, especially given the lap belt path, and the deep wings. The lowest setting is pretty high, though, for smaller kids and/or shorter-torsoed kids, compared to the Turbo/PW/FPSVB.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Just wanted to add another vote for the Turbo. It makes an awesome spare, and I always like having one that I can just give away if I run into someone who just REALLY needs one. Plus, it's not super-comfy or anything like what you'll want once he's outgrown the Regent, so he's less likely to decide it's "better." ;)

Mama2J

Ok, so I should get something smaller like a Turbo booster which I can get right in Walmart, and then hold off on the Monterey until he is in it full-time. I had wanted to only get one more seat, but this might be a good plan. Then I will have it if needed and can just keep it in the trunk otherwise.

scatterbunny

:thumbsup: It sounds like a good plan to me. Eventually, when you're transporting any of his friends, it'll be nice to have the Turbo as a spare. You'll encounter friends who's parents don't require them to ride in an appropriate seat (or any seat), so you'll want to have one on hand.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC