Cool seat from the UK

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Most UK convertible carseats I have seen recommend using them from birth to 9 months RF and from 9 months to 4 years FF. Here is a seat that can be used to 18 months RF! It looks pretty cool!

This seat has side-impact protection, snaps into a base for easy installation (reminds me a bit of the Britax King, but the King didn't come all the way out of the base), and comes in some really cool colors.

What a neat seat! While it appears that this seat wouldn't last as long as some of the American seats (or at least the ones marketed here in the US), it seems that it would last longer than many of the other seats sold in the UK.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
No, not all UK convertibles can be used to 13kg RF. Far from it. There are a few, the Britax First Class included, that can be used to 13kg RF, but there seem to be far more than cannot than can.

Here are a few other UK Convertibles and their weight limits:

Baby Start Recliner-- RF to 10 kg. FF 9 kg to 18 kg.
Team Tex Starway -- RF to 10 kg. FF 9 kg to 18 kg.
Rider -- RF to 10 kg. FF 9 kg to 18 kg.
Little Shields Recliner -- RF to 10 kg. FF 9 kg to 18 kg.

The other thing I thought was cool about the Concord seat was the SIP. In addition, I thought it was pretty neat that you could snap the seat into its base, similar to an infant seat. That was pretty cool.

L

littlemalts

UK Seats and Latch

is it correct that the seats from the UK do not have LATCH?

Norway

Norway said:
In Europe it's called isofix. :)

Just read about Latch and it is not really the same thing as isofix. The European isofix is much easier to use than the latch system in USA.

joyride

Norway said:
Just read about Latch and it is not really the same thing as isofix. The European isofix is much easier to use than the latch system in USA.
Hmm, that's not right at all.
Isofix has, normally, only lower anchors. The seats have a rigid bar that connects to this anchors. Head-excursion is limited by the bench (that's the reason why every car-seat must be certified by the vehicle or seat manufacturer). Tether is still VERY rare, only one seat.

But: the anchors and the teather hooks must fullfill the same standard and have the same dimensions worldwide. I can use a US Birtax in an EU Isofix equipped car and an EU Britax in an US LATCH equipped car.
Joy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Some vehicles' LATCH systems are a pain to use (i.e., my 2006 Civic) because of how deep in the seat the anchors are buried. Other systems, in other vehicles, are very easy to use. My sister's 2006 Outback has a system that is SUPER easy to use. My friend's 2006 Lexus 300h is also a breeze.

In the U.S., we have at least three different types of LATCH connectors on our seats. Two of those three (if there are more, I apologize!) are very easy to use. We have:
1) Rigid bars
2) Flexible straps with traditional hooks
3) Flexible straps with "push-button" hooks.

IMO, #1 and #3 are easy to use. #2 isnt't a problem unless you have LATCH anchors buried way down deep in the seat, like I have on my car.

I'm just curious... what makes you think that the European system is easier to use? I have only attempted to use the European system one time, so I have limited experience, but I didn't see much of a difference...

Norway

Patriot20171: I could only open the first link. The others didn't work.

I read the manual on a US Britax seat and the description showed how to fasten the seat with straps of some kind. It didn't look easy to me but sorry if I am wrong. I also see that there are different types of latch systems. Isn't this confusing?

There are few RF seats for toddlers here with isofix. Britax has one, uses the same base as the babyseat. Recaro also has one, same base as babyseat. All theese seats use a isofix base, just click the frame into the isofix hooks in the backseat, then click in the seat in the base.

Here is a picture of how it works. No straps or anything is needed.

isofix_idea.jpg

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I like the rigid LATCH, like you all have in Europe (ISOFIX). We do have some seats here with rigid LATCH, but there are limited options if you want the rigid bars.

It isn't too confusing having all the different types because you use them all the exact same way. Also, most of our seats have the push-button or traditional hook attachments. It isn't too bad. :)

Sorry the links didn't work. That's too bad that the lower links didn't work because those are the better photos! :) That first one isn't as great. Sorry!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC