What Seat Now?

TaraisEvansMom

My 4 year old is very close to outgrowing his Radian 65, I'm not thrilled he's almost out of the seat, we've only had it for 1 year! He's grown so much this last year it's costing us a fortune just to keep him in jeans, lol. So, I was just wondering what the next best seat for him would be?? I'm terrified to put him in a booster, but am realizing sadly that's our next step. Dh is NOT happy we are having to spend more money on yet another seat, and was less than thrilled when I chose to buy the Radian last year, but oh well! I'm not sacrificing saftey for his wallet, lol. Thanks for any insight!!

ADS

BW1426

The Radian can actually be used with shoulders above the top harness slots as long as the child is within the allowable height range and they have shell up to the tip of their ears.

I'm not saying that I would use the seat with a child's shoulders way above the top harness slots, but I wouldn't be so worried about switching them out as soon as they're even. You may have more time than you think.

The little girl I watch has a little more room in her Nautilus than in the Radian.

Pixels

By those measurments, he should have some time left in the Radian. The only way to outgrow the Radian is either exceeding the weight limit, or having the midpoint of the head go over the top of the shell.

At this point, you could go with a Regent, which is the tallest harnessed seat currently out (excluding special needs seats) with 20 inch top slots. The Regent does not convert to a booster. Or, you could get a Nautilus or Frontier, which have slightly shorter top slots but convert to boosters.

canadiangie

CDN Radians are outgrown when:

1) 65lbs is reached (48lbs if it's an older model with a 48lb limit)

or

2) the child's shoulders are level with the top harness slots

or

3) the tips of the child's ears are level with the top of the seat

Whichever comes first.

From what I've read, Transport Canada does not allow the same "shoulders over the top slots is okay" guideline that appears in US manuals.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So OP, is it that your son's shoulders are nearing the 18" top harness slots? You posted that he has a 15.5" bum to shoulder measurement, so I'm thinking he should have some time left. ??

Pixels

Canadian forum--no Regent in Canada :)

-Nicole.

Oops :eek: That's what happens when I search New Posts instead of through the individual forums.

CDN Radians are outgrown when:

1) 65lbs is reached (48lbs if it's an older model with a 48lb limit)

or

2) the child's shoulders are level with the top harness slots

or

3) the tips of the child's ears are level with the top of the seat

Whichever comes first.

From what I've read, Transport Canada does not allow the same "shoulders over the top slots is okay" guideline that appears in US manuals.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So OP, is it that your son's shoulders are nearing the 18" top harness slots? You posted that he has a 15.5" bum to shoulder measurement, so I'm thinking he should have some time left. ??
The Canadian RN manual says that the straps must be in the nearest slot at or above the shoulders. It also says that the maximum height for the seat is when the tips of the ears go over the top of the shell, or 51" tall.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
TaraisEvansMom,

If he only measured bum to shoulder at 15.5", he should still have quite a bit of height in the Radian. The RN top harness slots are at around 17.5".

BUT when you said outgrew by height - does it by any chance the harness is too snug/tight? Was this 1-yr old RN bought from Canadian Tire? I'm trying to see if the issue is that you have the short-strap RN rather than him being too tall in the torso for it.

TaraisEvansMom

Hey there, I thought that it was once the top of his head was to the top of his seat, not mid-way. His straps are not too short, I got the seat online from a place in Montreal, so no problems there. He's only 44inches tall, so I guess he does have abit more time, yay!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC