Recaro Como? Opinions please!!

purplemama

I saw the Recaro Como at Albeebaby.com for $150. I like it from what I can tell but I can't find too much about it on here.
Does it have a continous harness?
Easy to install?

I just got off the phone with Albeebaby and I can get a 8-8-08 DOM. Does that mean I can use the seat until 12-14? My DS will be 7 then and I would think ready for a booster?

I had wanted a MA, then a BLVD but even with the sale that's just too much. I can maybe talk DH into the Como (I think he's thinking "if it will shut you up about a new seat").

So I would appreciate any information about the Como anyone can give me. The Recaro site is hard to look at and doesn't give me user opinions like you guys can. TIA!!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not expect a 7yo to be able to use the seat -- the interior is very narrow and it sits up high.

Mama Jo

Of all the Recaro seats, the Como is my least favorite. The "pillows" that surround the head are required for RF'ing and the fabric on the covers does not breathe well. Baby will get hot and sweaty!! And you do have to re-thread the harness.

The Signo is better because it actually has SIP headwings instead of the "pillows" and the harness does not need to be re-threaded.

I bought a Como, used it twice with my nephew before my DS was even born, and then sold it because I didn't like it. It appealed to me because it looks very substantial and very nice and I was so excited when I got it... until I actually used it. It was easy enough to install, although it was very large and it took some work to get it to fit, but my nephew was very uncomfortable because he was hot and couldn't move his head around because of the "pillows".

I've read reviews about the Signo on here from people who own them and they seem to like them. If I was going to purchase a Recaro convertible seat, I'd definitely go with the Signo over the Como.

AtTheSouthDam

I'm still using my Como and I like it but it does have it's issues. I can be hard to install rear facing. The solid base is just a bit wider than the distance between my latch hooks so I have to make sure the clips aren't underneith when I install or I can't get it tight. It tilts in my van when I use the seat belt to install.

I haven't had any problem with it being to hot but it is winter and I have only had it 7 weeks or so.

Many people complain about the lack of leg room RF. But if you drive a vehicle with a lower seat back the seat sits up high enough for my daughter to put her feet over the top.

The side wings are wonderfully deep. I like that, but not in any four door car, it makes it hard to get her in. I have the room to manuver in my van.

The pillows can make getting them buckled up fun but I learned how to work around them. When using rear facing take the should strap covers off and it gets a lot easier. My child likes the soft pillows, she uses them to block out her sister (she is easily over whelmed by noises, I am learning.).

For the price of $150 I would buy it again. It has a lot of nice features, like the adjuster is easy to get to RF and tucks away so you child can't play with it. The fabric really does repel liquids if you get to them fast enough. My daughter loves it and calls it the comfy seat. I honestly think it would last as long as a Marathon if you don't have really wide kids. I don't think the Como or the MA will last to booster age though.

Splash

There are better seats. If $150 is your price range, scrimp a smidge bit more and order the TrueFit on sale at Target for $162 shipped (plus local sales tax if applicable). Far better... easier to install, more breathable, less confining, and will last longer both RF and FF.

firemomof3

I agree, the true fit will provide much better leg support ff and more shoulder room. The como has taller harness slots but its pretty narrow for the shoulders and the lack of leg support is going to probably bother an older child. Here is an average (sorry I don't have specific stats) sized 6y/o in the true fit and she fit beautifully:
LaurainCompass001-1.jpg

marjen

Just as an FYI...the True Fit is no longer on sale online at Target. It's back up to $179.99 plus tax (but does still have free shipping).

If you want the Signo instead of the Como, you can get one at Hipmonkey.com for $195.49 (they're on sale for $229, and you can use code HIPMONKEY to save an additional 15% off). And there's no tax and free shipping. Right now they're backordered for a week or two. You can also get return shipping insurance for $4.99--so if you hate it or it doesn't work, you can return it.

:)

niccig

I agree, the true fit will provide much better leg support ff and more shoulder room. The como has taller harness slots but its pretty narrow for the shoulders and the lack of leg support is going to probably bother an older child. Here is an average (sorry I don't have specific stats) sized 6y/o in the true fit and she fit beautifully:
LaurainCompass001-1.jpg

I have a Como, and agree with the others that the shoulder room narrows on the seat back. I don't think this will be an issue for us. DS is 4yo and 33lbs 39". We've got PLENTY of room for torso growth before the shoulder room would be an issue. And it might not be an issue for DS. His favourite seat is the Safety First Uptown and that has the smallest shoulder room of all our seats and he's on the top slot in the Uptown, so at the height where shoulder room could be an issue.

My point, is that if you have a petite child, the shoulder room may not be an issue. I can see DS getting close to 7 in the seat. He's got I think 3 harness slots to go.

What I do love about the Como is the harness adjuster - it's so easy to tighten the harness, easily the easiest of all our seats.

L

Laloo

Just as an FYI...the True Fit is no longer on sale online at Target. It's back up to $179.99 plus tax (but does still have free shipping).

If you want the Signo instead of the Como, you can get one at Hipmonkey.com for $195.49 (they're on sale for $229, and you can use code HIPMONKEY to save an additional 15% off). And there's no tax and free shipping. Right now they're backordered for a week or two. You can also get return shipping insurance for $4.99--so if you hate it or it doesn't work, you can return it.

:)

The 15% off code is only giving 5% off. Was that a typo or was the code orignally giving 15%? Any other codes? Thanks!

marjen

The code was taking 15% off, but they changed it a few days ago. I've heard of some people getting only 5%, and some getting no discount at all. I'm glad I ordered my BLVD and Signo while it was still 15%!

L

Laloo

Thanks for the help! You folks are lucky, but I'm still glad that I got 5% on the order just placed. Went with the signo over the boulevard!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC