Would you turn a 3.5 RF (after FF for over a year) for another pound?

Splash

Charlie outgrew the BV RF at around 2.5 years old, and was FF for health reasons slightly before that. He is about 34 pounds now, I think. If I kept the TF, I was thinking of turning him just for S&G. I don't even know if I could fit the TF RF behind the driver (sam behind passenger) so it might not matter at all. And he might be 35 or more, I don't weigh him all that often.
If he fit, and the seat fit, I would offer it to him but not press the issue (as in, if he said no, the answer is no) and it would only be in my car. But I wonder if I should even bother. Although it would give me an idea of how a big kid fits RF in it, which might help me decide between that and the BV. (There was a whole host of reasons for turning him when we did, some of those reasons no longer exist, some do and may or may not be an issue in a seat with more leg room).

ADS

NannyMom

I wouldn't have a problem with turning a 3.5 year old RF after a year of FF. I'd be all for it. Except that he's 34 pounds. How long will it take him to gain 1 pound? How long has he been 34? I know, it could take months, but it could also take weeks. I'd leave him FF. If you wanted to try the install RF and put him in just for kicks and see how bigger kids fit, go for it.

SPJ&E

I'd try him in it rear-facing to give myself an idea of how long it would last Sam, but I wouldn't have him ride that way at this point. He's already been FF for a year and is almost at the RF weight limit. I'm not one to push weight limits at all though.

Last edited:

Shanora

I, personally, wouldn't turn him. What if he eats a good supper one night and gains that 1-2 pounds that tosses him over the limit, with out you knowing it.

I'd say that the benefits at this point are no longer enough to turn him RF. But thats just my opinion.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For one pound? No. My kids vary up to 3 lbs. depending on the day.

For 5 lbs.? Absolutely.

canadiangie

Sure. Just weigh him every week or so. Only you know how he tends to grow and whether that 1 lb will take him 6wks or 6mos. I wouldn't debate it too much if this is something you want to do. All this said assuming Charlie is cool with it of course. :cool:

Murphy's Law

I wouldn't, especially where he is so close to the limit. My dd is 34 right now but could be 33 or 36 on any given day depending on clothes, shoes, what she's eaten, etc., so I don't want to push it. She is FF only now. You did great leaving him RF for as long as you did. I would leave him FF now.

katiesmommy

I might put him in it to try and see how he fits, but no, for 1 lb I wouldn't turn him for real.

Nevermind me, didn't read all the replies before responding, but I'm leaving up what I would have said anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC