Britax change from 48 to 65lbs

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
TC increased the maximum weight limit allowed on carseats from 48lbs-65lbs in May of 2007 I believe and we started seeing Britax seats with a maximum weight of 65lbs in September of that year.

*note to viewers/readers not all seats have a max. weight limit of 65lbs, they have to be tested and approved for this limit. There is a list of 65lb limit seats here.

canmom

The change was not retroactive... am I correct? I know my MA manufactured in Nov 2006 is 48lbs and to the best of my knowledge remains that limit.

mommycat

That is correct. Your seat is only rated to 65 lbs if the stickers on it say it is rated to 65 lbs. All older seats with lower weight limits must abide by their stickered weights.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
The change was not retroactive... am I correct? I know my MA manufactured in Nov 2006 is 48lbs and to the best of my knowledge remains that limit.

Nope it was not retroactive. You would need to check the label on your seat and go by the limits listed on the seat.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
And just to reinforce that the 48lbs is not retroactive, I would not make the "parental decision" to exceed the 48lb limit. MA's in the US made during part of the time period of when the seat limits were 48lbs here had a recall due to the tether anchor deforming and potentially failing in a collision if a child's weight was over 50lbs. I no longer have my MA, but my MA would've been recalled had it been certified to the 65lb limit - my tether anchor had the same part # and the manufacture date was in the same time period. The fact that the corresponding CDN seats weren't recalled is evidence for the fact that we don't know if the seat passes CMVSS standards at weights above what the seat is labeled to. And since they're only labelled to 48lbs, compliance testing wouldn't have been exceeding that weight.

Just my :twocents: since I know that the discussion about making the parental decision to use the seat to the US 65lb weight limit comes up periodically. ;)

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
And just to reinforce that the 48lbs is not retroactive, I would not make the "parental decision" to exceed the 48lb limit. MA's in the US made during part of the time period of when the seat limits were 48lbs here had a recall due to the tether anchor deforming and potentially failing in a collision if a child's weight was over 50lbs. I no longer have my MA, but my MA would've been recalled had it been certified to the 65lb limit - my tether anchor had the same part # and the manufacture date was in the same time period. The fact that the corresponding CDN seats weren't recalled is evidence for the fact that we don't know if the seat passes CMVSS standards at weights above what the seat is labeled to. And since they're only labelled to 48lbs, compliance testing wouldn't have been exceeding that weight.

Just my :twocents: since I know that the discussion about making the parental decision to use the seat to the US 65lb weight limit comes up periodically. ;)

It's a good reminder that in some cases (as in this one) that parental decision needs to base on solid facts and that we never really know for sure what the differences or similarities are.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC