True Fit/Regent/Nautilus... pick

Splash

I have two people that want to buy my Regents, and I don't know if I should sell them now. I wanted to sell them, but now... I wonder.

If I sold them, he would go into a Nautilus in the van (already is, actually), and a True Fit in my car. Once installed, he did have enough crotch room, though still not as much as I would like or that he has in the Regent.

Child- 36 pounds, second slots on Regent, second on GN, third on TF.

Regent- Fits him great, and he loves it. Installs great in my car without the recline bar (post-advisory. I know I should have it, I choose not to use it). Don't know how it will do with LBP once he hits 48 pounds, and I know I can't use SBP with it. Loads of crotch room in the first setting, doubt we'll ever use the second setting. Easiest in my car for small back seat because it is very low profile. Matches both my BVs (Onyx/Onyx and Sahara/Brownstone). Smidge below the second slots.
Installs okay with recline bar in the van with short latch, haven't tried the belt ever. Same pros as above. Once 48 pounds, it will be installed LBP if it can install well that way (haven't tried).

GN- He likes this seat the best, and wants another. Fits well in either vehicle with rock solid LATCH install. Installs great with belt in my car as well (haven't tried with belt in the van). Bought for my car, currently using in the van because the regent is a pain to install and I didn't feel like doing it again. He is already over the "biggest" crotch strap position, but doesn't complain. Seat is currently in recline mode. He's either even or just slightly over the second slots.

TF- He likes this as well, installs beautifully with belt in my car (haven't tried with LATCH, doubt I will since the belt is so easy and solid). Haven't tried it in the van but don't think I need to. Main problem in my car is it is reclined a lot, making it hard for him to get in and out of on his own. Also has high sides he has to climb over/around, and this car has a SMALL (front to back) backseat, so that might get old fast. The crotch strap is as far out as it goes and is tight, but manageable. Dead even with the third (of four) slots. Main benefit of this seat is the RF limit, two pounds over the BV so Sam could use it RF at some point (or just turn when he hits the limit on the BV, don't really know or care). This seat has the best cover, far more breathable than the Regent, probably the same as the GN.

I am outfitting two cars here. It is really up to Regent/Nautilus in the van, and Regent/TrueFit/Nautilus in my car (I'm not above selling one Regent and buying another Nautilus). If I sell only one Regent, I don't need another seat at all because I currently have three FF seats. Charlie also still fits in the BV. So *if* I kept a TF, I would probably put Charlie in the BV untill he outgrows it and use one the TF for Sam.

I own two Regents, two BVs, two TFs, and a GN. I am taking back the TFs (one unopened) if I don't keep them. I'm leaning toward not keeping them.

What *I* am leaning toward doing is keeping both Regents, one in my car, one in the house (???) until he outgrows the GN or we need a change. The TF will not get him to booster age... the GN will if he doesn't outgrow the crotch strap. The Regent of course will. The Regent, however, will most likely always be installed against manufacturer's guidelines, which bothers me a tinge. That's the main strike against it at this point. I have no intent to buy a Frontier.

There is also the issue of Sam growing into these seats. He will probably be FF before Charlie outgrows either the TF or GN, and definitely before he outgrows the Regent. So none of the seats will be "wasted" once Charlie outgrows them. It's just what to do in the short term.

I don't really want to keep an extra seat, and I am not selling the GN. So consider that as well.

Holy cow that got wayyyy too long! Oops!

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I would sell the Regents, return the TF's, and get another GN. You say that he likes this seat the best, so I'd get him another one. :D Or, use the BV for now until he outgrows it and then buy another GN. It would bother me using the Regents against the manufacturer's guidelines.

Splash

Hmm... also just thought... If I use the SS1 without the base in my car, I can probably fit the TF in the center. I *might* be able to fit the TF in the center with another TF RF outboard (pushing it, but it might work). If I could do that, well, having him in the center is more important than any other logistical nonsense. So I might do that.
I'm such a mess.

Can someone please steal my car, remove my seats and all other valuables, and drive it into a river? Then I can get a new one. I'll give you any seat of your choice from my collection. Or some cloth diapers.

MoreLatte

I vote ditch the Regent for your car and get another GN or TF. If you like how the Regent fits in your van, then keep that one.

I personally don't like the Regent. I think its overkill :duck: Don't get me wrong, I know many love it, but I believe many kids would be ready to move on to a booster far before they'd actually outgrow it. The Regent is so heavy and such a PITA to install. Well, was for me anyway. I couldn't use the LBP because my belts were too short. I thought I was going to lose it trying to get it in my vehicle!

Since you already have a GN and know how well it installs in your cars, then that would be my vote. Then you'll have a booster when he's ready for that next step.

But, if you really like the TF and don't mind buying a booster down the road, or possibly another HWH, then go for the TF. My DD is 5yrs 4mos and still fits in the TF fine. We have the 2-position buckle, and no problems. She's 42'' and 42#. I plan to put her in a booster at age 6. At this point, I think the TF will get her there. As you said, if you kept a TF for Charlie now, you could use it for Sam later if he outgrew it. But then you'd be back to needing another seat for Charlie:)

I probably really didn't make your decision any easier:eek:

arly1983

I would sell the Regents, return the TF's, and get another GN. You say that he likes this seat the best, so I'd get him another one. :D Or, use the BV for now until he outgrows it and then buy another GN. It would bother me using the Regents against the manufacturer's guidelines.

:yeahthat:

I just sold my regent for that last reason, well, and some others. I would have had to use the regent without recline bar in the 3rd row.

Plus, my J is a string bean. His 2.5 yr old sister filled out the harness of the regent better than he did.

He seems to like the Nautilus better (now that I am not overtightening).

Lys

Senior Community Member
I dunno, maybe it's just me. But, I think you should get a new car the Regents fit in.
Viola, problem solved! :duck:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC