Evenflo Triumph safety

santasgirl

i had a question i wanted to ask
i was at target looking at

http://www.target.com/Evenflo-Trium...-7037368?ie=UTF8&rh=k:evenflow carseat&page=1

i am seeing how everyone loves how you can move the straps each time to get the right fit, my question is it seems like all u have to do is push them up
do thay lock in place?

my concern would be the child could push them up or like in a crash the straps would go all the way to the top of the path, call me crazy i just wonder
the idea is a great one i just don't know about the details
HELP

ADS

Qarin

Their height is locked by the harness being tightened- there's no harness-length available for it to just move up to the top, because the harness should have been tightened so that it is exactly the length from the shoulders, down through crotch buckle, and around to the sides of the legs.

santasgirl

that makes more since
I'm getting a new nanny job for a year old who i will have rear facing so i was wondering about those
thank you for explaining this

APmama2MAK

I just asked about this in a post, it seems like with the majority of people I know who dont tighten the harness correctly it would move. Not that I dont think its tested but it was just SO easy to move. That along with the knobs for adjusting it really sold me on it as a backup seat. Im glad Im not the only one who has wondered about this!

WhatAboutPuppy

It says infinite but mine still clicks into each place slightly. So keep that in mind as the baby grows. I noticed with my little guy I had to push the straps up to the next slot when it was below his shoulders... way easy to do obviously, just something to look for. :twocents:
I could've sworn the floor model moved a little more seamlessly. Though the floor model I tried out was the more expensive version... a lot more. I got mine on sale for $97 at target about 6 months ago.

APmama2MAK

It says infinite but mine still clicks into each place slightly. So keep that in mind as the baby grows. I noticed with my little guy I had to push the straps up to the next slot when it was below his shoulders... way easy to do obviously, just something to look for. :twocents:
I could've sworn the floor model moved a little more seamlessly. Though the floor model I tried out was the more expensive version... a lot more. I got mine on sale for $97 at target about 6 months ago.
I was thinking the reason this one was so easy could of been that it was the floor model. By DS pushing with his arms on the sides of the seat he made it click up one but he was really pushing that next click I think. That was with the harness super tight too, but I dont see how the tiny difference it made could be big problem, it still could be called level with his shoulders. Either way I think the whole harness system on that seat is just awesome!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just asked about this in a post, it seems like with the majority of people I know who dont tighten the harness correctly it would move. Not that I dont think its tested but it was just SO easy to move. That along with the knobs for adjusting it really sold me on it as a backup seat. Im glad Im not the only one who has wondered about this!

I've put a good deal of thought in to the mechanics of if the harness was too loose and whether or not the harness height adjustment would increase significantly, and the conclusion I've come to is that it would have to be insanely loose to significantly move up... With a rf'ing kid they're going to slide up towards the top of the shell during the initial rotation of the seat, and as that happens, it's going to pull the hip straps tight which will in turn counteract the sliding up to a certain degree. Ff'ing, the movement is going to be pretty much straight forward, so the straps aren't going to change height from the straight forward or even a side ways pull. There could be more potential for head injuries in the event of a rollover if the harness was seriously loose, but that would again be the same with any seat.

So in the end, a loose harness on the EFTA isn't going to be more risky than a loose harness on any other seat. And I think the EFTA is so easy for parents to tighten in most cases that it's likely they're adjusted closer to tight enough more often than a lot of other seats. That's certainly not scientific, but it's my impressions anyways. :)

APmama2MAK

I've put a good deal of thought in to the mechanics of if the harness was too loose and whether or not the harness height adjustment would increase significantly, and the conclusion I've come to is that it would have to be insanely loose to significantly move up... With a rf'ing kid they're going to slide up towards the top of the shell during the initial rotation of the seat, and as that happens, it's going to pull the hip straps tight which will in turn counteract the sliding up to a certain degree. Ff'ing, the movement is going to be pretty much straight forward, so the straps aren't going to change height from the straight forward or even a side ways pull. There could be more potential for head injuries in the event of a rollover if the harness was seriously loose, but that would again be the same with any seat.

So in the end, a loose harness on the EFTA isn't going to be more risky than a loose harness on any other seat. And I think the EFTA is so easy for parents to tighten in most cases that it's likely they're adjusted closer to tight enough more often than a lot of other seats. That's certainly not scientific, but it's my impressions anyways. :)
I definitely agree with that. I really do know some BAD car seat users, some that purposely loosen the straps all the way because they want them to be able to reach toys and stuff (of course they arent open to any advice). but no matter what the seat with those cases the car seat wouldnt be safe. After trying this seat out the other day right next to the true fit and marathon though I think all companies could take a hint on the harness system lol. It was so nice!

Mommy0608

I completely agree! I have the EFTA for my DD, and we love it. I've never had any issue with it, nor do I think it would ever cause a problem. Just doesn't seem likely.

lnwn

I am really interested in this seat but they have a few models and I don't know which one to get.

Is it dramatically better than the Titan Elite which in some models goes up to 50lbs as well? It just doesn't have the same harness system and is so much cheaper.

This one is more expensive than the LX and I can't understand what model it is supposed to be.

Then there are these two?
Evenflo Triumph Advance LX $139.99

Evenflo Triumph Advance DLX $159.99

I want one with the most seat depth and the most side impact protection! Can anyone help me?

Mommy0608

The Triumph Advance has a taller shell and higher max harness height than the Titan Elite, so it will last longer.

All models of the Triumph Advance have the same weight/height limits. Just make sure it says "ADVANCE" in the name. The main difference is cover choice, plushness, and the Premier model has alligator-style latch clips. I have the most basic model, the LX, and it's plenty comfy for my DD. For us it wasn't worth the extra money for different covers or the alligator-style clips. It's just a matter of personal preference. :)

Mommy0608

I want one with the most seat depth and the most side impact protection! Can anyone help me?

Sorry, missed this part of your post.

All of the Triumph Advance seats have the same seat depth, as far as I know.

The amount of side impact protection is unknown, same as with any other seat. Side impact testing isn't actually part of the FMVSS testing. Any side impact testing is done by the individual manufacturers, and we don't know how the tests were done, nor do we know any results. I'd consider all models of the Triumph Advance to be equal in terms of side impact protection.

lnwn

thanks a lot! i don't think the special clips are worth any extra moolah either, though they are nice.

does anyone know how the boulevard compares to the evenflo triumph advance with regards to seat depth?

i was able to compare the advance with a marathon and it seems like the advance is far deeper. anyone think of a reason why the britax seats would be better than the advance? the 65lbs isn't much of a pro for me since my husband weighed like 70lbs in 8th grade or thereabouts... my son is very tiny so far.

Mommy0608

thanks a lot! i don't think the special clips are worth any extra moolah either, though they are nice.

does anyone know how the boulevard compares to the evenflo triumph advance with regards to seat depth?

i was able to compare the advance with a marathon and it seems like the advance is far deeper. anyone think of a reason why the britax seats would be better than the advance? the 65lbs isn't much of a pro for me since my husband weighed like 70lbs in 8th grade or thereabouts... my son is very tiny so far.

I think the Triumph Advance is roomier than the Boulevard, not 100% sure though. The main differences between the Britax seats and the Triumph Advance are that the Britax convertibles can be tethered RF and go up to 65lbs, but the weight really isn't a big deal because most kids outgrow seats by height long before weight anyway. Actually I believe the Triumph Advance harness goes just slightly higher than the harness on the Britax convertibles.

lnwn

can you tighten the straps with one knob at a time or do you have to reach over the seat to get both? and also are there locking clips under the seat pad?

the only seat i have used without a built-in locking clip is the cosco scenera and it will twist sideways and get stuck if i pull on it... i don't know if it is just a bad fit for my car or if i am installing it wrong... scares me.

your daughter is supercute btw! and looks really happy in that seat!

Mommy0608

Yes you can tighten the straps with one knob, that's how I do it and it works just fine. :thumbsup:

It doesn't have built-in lock-offs, but does come with a locking clip to use with the seatbelt (not sure exactly where it is stored on the seat, I don't use it so I don't remember where it's at off-hand). I've never had an issue with the installation at all, either with LATCH or with the seatbelt. What vehicle (model/year) do you have?

Do you live near a BRU? They let you try floor models in your vehicle. I'd also suggest finding a CPST to check your installations and offer tips and tricks. ;)

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my DD.. I think she's cute too. ;)

lnwn

We don't have a BRU near us. I tried to talk the Target manager into letting me take their models out to install and she wouldn't do it.

I have a 2005 Scion XB. It has self-locking seatbelts. I guess I was thinking the locking clips would also help keep the seat from sliding along the belt path...

I don't know how to explain it really... with both latch and with the seatbelt, my Scenera installs solid right at the end of the seat, but if you try to wiggle the seat anywhere but where it is attached to the car, it can rotate sideways... I thought if it had a built in locking clip it would keep it from doing that.

Am I making sense?

Last edited:

Mommy0608

Do you use both the LATCH and the seatbelt together to install, or just one system? You can't use both together.

You definitely don't need locking clips or built-in lock-offs. You have LATCH if you choose to use that, and your seatbelts also lock, so either system should hold your seat just fine. :thumbsup:

The only place to check for a tight installation is right at the belt path (where the seatbelt or latch strap goes through the seat). You should not be able to move it more than 1" in any direction at the belt path. Some movement of the seat at other areas away from the belt path is okay as long as it is tight right at the belt path. Sorry, that sounds really repetitive, but I want to make sure my explanation is clear.

lnwn

no, i don't use both at the same time. i know it is supposed to be one or the other.

the seat won't shift even an inch if you try to move it right at the belt path. it just seems so unstable everywhere else.

i am afraid that if there was a side impact the seat would rotate sideways... the scenera is really lightweight. i think i will have to have a tech check it out to see if they can help me.

i know the EFTA is a lot heavier and seems to be made a lot better so i am hoping this problem won't occur. I installed my true fit with no worries about the sideways shifting, but it had those clips on the belt path. and my safeseat installs perfectly with no shifting.

Mommy0608

Okay, glad to hear you're using one system, not both. Many people are unaware that you can't use both together, so I just wanted to be sure. :thumbsup: Both are safe options, use the one that gives you the best installation.

Some movement (away from the belt path) is normal and expected during a crash to help the child ride down the crash forces. I'd still recommend seeing a CPST though, since I can't be sure that everything is fine without actually seeing it in person.

Here are some resources to help you find a CPST in your area. This thread has a list of CPSTs from this forum. You can also find one here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC