Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Recaro Youth Sport vs Graco Nautilus 3-in-1

Hello!

I am new to this board. My daughter in 11 months old so I am starting to research new car seats for her. I plan to keep her RF as long as possible. She currently has a Chico Key fit so I believe she can remain in this until she is 30 lbs or until her height is up to an inch from the top of the seat.
    I am interested in either the Recaro Youth Sport or the Nautilus 3-in-1. I'd like to have a seat that will transition into a Booster. Can anyone compare the pros and cons of these two seats? Of course my biggest concern is safety and then comfort for my daughter. I've seen some comments that the Recaro can only be harnessed to 40lbs. Is this correct? And if so is this a drawback? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've searched for hours and I just can't seem to tell which seat would be best. Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Recaro Youth Sport vs Graco Nautilus 3-in-1

Both of those seats are forward facing only, so they're not options for you at all. After the Keyfit you'll need a rear facing convertible, not a combination seat.

The Recaro has 17" top slots, so if you have a more petite child the 40 pound limit shouldn't be a problem, but for most people the 18.5" and the 65 pound harness of the Nautilus is more tempting than the Recaro. Plus the Nautilus becomes a backless booster as well, which lasts nine years.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm looking for a seat for when she is FF.

If you will be keeping her RF as long as possible, that is probably another two years. By then, both of these seats will be old news and there will be something different (and probably better) available.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

While it seems like the Keyfit would keep her rf for a long time, most kids will only make it to 14-16mths in it, which is really too early to ff, as you probably know. So, once she outgrows the Keyfit she will need a rf convertible carseat, rather than the Young Sport or the Nautilus.
    Jacky, CPST and mom to Kenzie(5) and Maverick(3) Riding in a Frontier, Marathon 70 and Radian, Safety 1st Store N Go and Evenflo Right Fit

Wow! I'm glad I asked. I thought she would have to be FF once she outgrew the Keyfit. What is a good RF convertible seat? I saw Britax had high ratings. So if I get a RF convertibel, this means I will be ablet o turn it FF but it won't transition into a booster correct?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Right. Right now there are no three in ones that do a good job at all three aspects of the seat.

Britax seats are good, the big ones (I'd avoid the Roundabout, the Diplomat, and I'm not a huge Decathlon fan, so I guess that leaves the Marathon and Boulevard). The Learning Curve True Fit is my current favorite. It'll last longer, both in lifespan and in child size, than the Britaxes, and it's a lot cheaper. Also on my top four list is the Evenflo Triumph Advance. The cheapest, has the same high top slots of the True Fit, but has a 50 pound forward facing limit, so it's a guess which kids will hit first.

After that you'll either need a booster, or a combination seat. Depending on if you get her a new seat because she's outgrown it, because you've been in a collision, or because there's another baby who now needs the convertible.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785