Steps to take as a concerned citizen?

kristenbelle

I took my kids to the library today for storytime and was horrified when I parked by a Dodge Caravan with a FF child carseat in the front seat of the van, next to the driver!!!! :eek::mad: No carseats in the back of the van, plenty of room for one back there.

Wrote down the license plate, make and model of the car and came home to double-check on our TN laws for car seats. According to the TN Dept of Safety, "Children age one (1) through age three (3), and weighing more than twenty (20) pounds, must be secured in a child safety seat in a forward facing position in the rear seat, if available, or according to the child safety restraint system or vehicle manufacturer's instructions."

So - is there a step I should take to call this situation in? To whom? Child services? Non-emergency police? Did I miss the opportunity? It was below freezing and I had two small children with me; I wasn't up to staking out the car and wasn't sure what kind of a ruckus I should create in the library to find out whose car it was.

ADS

Maedze

I hate to tell you this, but on the scale of CPS sins, this one is really, really low on the list :(

There is no 'next step'. The parents did not commit a crime and there may be a good reason for a CRS to be in the front seat.

As a tech, I have installed in the front seat when a family came in with a minivan with seatbelts in the back that were so damaged and frayed (the dad had essentially assembled the seat arrangement back there from junkyard parts) that the front passenger seat was the only safe choice for a CRS install.

As a parent, I have made the decision (less than a month ago!) to put a child in the front seat, FF, when we were rushing to the hospital with a medical emergency and I needed to be able to physically have a hand on my child.

Vanessa618

I see stuff like that all the time here. :( Even saw a girl with a SnugRide FORWARD FACING in the backseat.

Oh yeah and I really don't like the wording of that law.:thumbsdown:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
it sounds like tehcnically, it probably was against the law, if there were rear seating positions available, but you never know..maybe the seat belts in back wouldn't give a good install, maybe the child has a medical condition that the driver needs to have constant, immediate access to the child, or possibly a behaviorla issue, etc.....it's probably *not* one of those things, but even still...having a FF seat in the front isn't a huge deal......in fact, like if you need to get 4 kids in a car, you have no choice but to put one in the front....

kristenbelle

Yeah, I guess I should be feeling relieved that the child in question was in a CPS at all, rather than completely unbelted, bouncing around in the car as it was being driven............................... :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC