Question Car seat choices for Grandparents Cars

ctbcleveland

So - DS has three sceneras that he has available for rides in Grandmas and Grandpa's cars.

DC#2 is on the way.

DS is roughly 28 lbs today. He will be 2 yrs old when new baby is born. He is rear-facing today. Our plans are to rear-face to a minimum of 2 years and will decide at the time if we will do it to the 33lb limits of our seats, if he is not there yet (we clearly understand safety benefits).

I have six months before I need to do anything, but would like to think through the best scenarios and get the best deals .

Should I:

• Buy a new scenera for each car for new baby?
  • Buy a seat with a longer-life than the Scenera (true-fit, avenue) for DS and put baby in the Sceneras?
  • Buy three "Nautli" for grandparent's cars and suck it up that he'll be forward facing, but in a long-lasting seat?
  • Hope and pray for some killer deals on the SS1 bases and postpone the decision until DC#2 outgrows the infant seat?

If I've ignored another good solution, let me know.

He rides for the longest distances with my mom. My ILs are miserable with car seats and keep installing and uninstalling the scenera. I think for space reasons. A whole 'nother thread could be had on this topic. They do transport DS two-three times per week, but literally from their next door neighbor's driveway to their own - maybe covering 50 ft of road - at most - on a 25 mile per hour street.

ADS

flutie128

Deciding to turn would have to be your decision. I didn't know about the benefits of erf when my son was little and I also had a comfort sport which only rf to 30 pounds. He was turned at just over 1 and 26 pounds. I have a true fit and love the seat. I just got it for my daughter who will be rear facing for a long time (9 months and 18 pounds). You could install the ss1 without a base but it is harder to do.

ctbcleveland

Bumping for the weekday crowd....

We had MIL use the Safeseat 1 originally just with a seatbelt in her car for DS. But she eventually gave up and preferred the Scenera.

ctbcleveland

I thought I'd shamelessly bump again for a few other opinions. We're nearing April and I am getting the itch to get things settled before DC#3 arrives in July.

I finally caved and sent my MIL joel's video. I hate to be pushy - but my DH won't be assertive with them regarding car seats and I am about a hair away from being a complete jerk about it. Thought this would be a better intermediate step.

I blind cc'd my MIL, and two SIL who have no kids and said that I sent it to "Everyone" because people had asked when my DS is still RF.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Scenera has a 35 pound rear facing limit. So I think you'd have a lot of time rear facing in it.

I'd buy extra bases and see how long that takes you. The SS1 lasts a lot of kids nine months to a year easy, so by that point your then nearly three year old should be about 35 pounds and you may feel very comfortable using a Nautilus, and you can resell the bases when you're done with them.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

oh, it's a tough call.

I think for me, deciding to buy extra bases would require an answer to one question... do you plan to continue growing your family?? AKA... will you want a third child??

if you will or if you don't know if you will (aka... possible), then I'd go ahead and get extra bases.

if not... I'd just get Nautilus seats and not think twice about it, because he'll not only be over 2, but the Nautilus is SOOOOOO easy to install and use I think you'd have an easier time teaching the grandparents to use it.

munchkin

Could they be trusted to install the SS1 without a base? That way DC1 could continue using the Sceneras, you wouldn't be out any more money until DC2 outgrew the SS1 and DC1 would be closer to FF and you could get Nautilus then. (sorry for the run on sentence :eek:)

ctbcleveland

Munchkin - run-ons are completely forgiveable in my world!

Kat - I'd say a third child is pretty doubtful right now. Hard to say absolutely not, but surely not a "definite". Maybe it's because you're asking while I am pregnant and dealing with a little guy in the midst of the terrible two's.

When my DS was younger, we had MIL using the SS1 without a base. She did not like using it that way and ended up preferring the Scenera.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC