Which is the easiest to use infant seat?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
My little brother & his girlfriend are having a baby. She is due at the end of July. I'm going to be buying a car seat for them (possibly a travel system, haven't decided yet). But, neither of them are familiar AT ALL with car seats and I live too far away to be of much help (they are in CO, I'm in WI), so I want them to have the one that is the EASIEST to install & use. Which one would you recommend?

ADS

NVMBR02

I think the chicco keyfit and the SS1/SR32 are the easiest I have tried out. I have not actually owned either seat though, just played with friends' seats and in the store.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I agree with pp. I know the graco seats can have the handle up which I really like. I don't know about the key. But when I have helped with them at checks they seem easy.

I would suggest you help them find a local tech in CO. There might be one on here.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I'm also wondering, if I decide to get a travel system, which being a young, first time mom, I think she might want one, which one would you go with? Are the Chicco strollers nicer than the Graco strollers? Are they pretty similar? The car seat is my priority, but they do a lot of walking (in Breckenridge), so it would be nice for them to have a decent stroller.

Which fits babies the longest - KF30 or SS1 (SR32)?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I would suggest you help them find a local tech in CO. There might be one on here.

I really hope there is someone on here from the Breckenridge area. It would make me feel so much better! It scares me a little that I can't be there to show them how to use it!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Chicco KeyFit is the easiest I've used/installed.

There are only 3 locked handle positions and you can use ANY of them in the car...some are ok and others not on the Graco seats.

The lock off on the KF is easier to use too.

Susan

ctbcleveland

I have not used the Chicco that comes with the travel system, but overall, they are better strollers, IMO, than Graco.

I would also get their input on what they want (within reason). We opted out of a travel system and got a Chicco umbrella and snap-n-go instead.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I have not used the Chicco that comes with the travel system, but overall, they are better strollers, IMO, than Graco.

I would also get their input on what they want (within reason). We opted out of a travel system and got a Chicco umbrella and snap-n-go instead.

I am going to have my brother ask her what she wants. Not that he shouldn't get a say, but I don't think he'll care and she might. I would love to give them my Mac Traveler. I know it works with the SS1, but don't know about the KF30? I really think that when the baby has outgrown the infant seat, a jogging stroller would be the best choice for them for walking around Breck. They walk more than they drive, so I don't know that a lightweight stroller would be a must for them. I'm just thinking that they might want a travel system anyway, because, well, I did when I was a first time mom and I wouldn't have listened to anyone telling me that I didn't need one! :p

marjen

I'll also give a vote for the Chicco Keyfit 30. We've been using ours since August, and haven't had any trouble with it at all. Everything is very straightforward and easy. We've installed with both latch and the seat belt. A great feature is the liquid leveler on the base...it leaves no room for doubt when you're installing it.

We use a Maclaren frame stroller instead of the bulkier travel system one. It works great for the beginning months when you don't need the "stroller" part.

The only thing I don't like about the Keyfit is the canopy...it doesn't really do that great of a job. But the other features more than make up for it.

APmama2MAK

I have the SS1, but have installed snugrides, an evenflo and an older babytrend. By far I prefer the SS1, but thats mainly because I have never had to take more than 3 minutes getting it in perfectly (using the base and a seatbelt) and always have an absolutely no movement install (in 3 subarus, honda van, older 80s 2 and 4 door cars, grand am, a extended cab truck, tons of different vehicles).

Again, I havent had the chance to try latch or the newest versions of the babytrend/evenflo but thats my .02 on it. With the others, it didnt take more than 10 minutes but the ss1 just seemed more fool-proof to me.

As for the strollers Ive only used graco and safety first. I liked how the safety 1st folded up, and how it reclined (with a strap fully adjustable rather than different levels even though it didnt go all the way down). I liked the brakes on the graco (it was a full shelf across instead of just on the wheels) and its canopy better (smooth and didnt fall off) plus the fact it did recline all the way.

Other than those things I had no complaints about either, good storage and both fit my graco carseat. At 19 months I still will take my son and put him in the stroller in his car seat so I do think its worth it to get one that will take the seat you get.

As for some things you could make a list of specific things they might overlook in the manual (if the handle can be up/down, where/if they can use latch in their car, how tight the harness should be, a note about winter attire etc) and send it to them with some baby stuff to let them know they are commonly overlooked.

Sry this was so long, but I thought Id give you detail because who knows what you prefer especially with the strollers. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC