New Evenflo Embrace

mominabigtruck

Here's the situation; I live about 20minutes away from the evenflo warehouse and they are getting ready to have their annual sale next month. There is a lady from bible study that is due to have a baby in May and will be having a baby shower and told me last week that she's glad she kept all her stuff from her oldest because she doesn't have to buy anything new. Well her oldest is 6.5yo so any carseat she has is expired and probably not that nice to start with since they're not real well off. So I was thinking if I could pick up a front adjust embrace at the sale that would be a good baby shower present. I know it's not the most fabulous seat but she has a blazer so plenty of room and as long as it's front adjust....

So, would you be ok with giving an embrace?? I saw a couple of designer 22s at big lots the other day but they don't have any eps foam although they are front adjust.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do you think she'll remember to always put the handle down?

If she's not going to pay attention to the handle, I'd rather an infant seat without EPS foam. If she'll pay attention and always put the handle down, then the evenflo seat is fine. The harness is nice and low and fits small babies well, and the shell is a decent height so she'll get a good amount of use out of it.

I know Evenflo infant seats aren't the most popular around here, but there's nothing wrong with choosing it when it meets the needs best. The make or break it point for me would be the handle. I'm aware of at least one child having died due to the handle not being put down and in the collision the handle broke on rebound and pushed into the child's neck. She bled out at the scene. :( Obviously that isn't going to happen if the seat is used properly and the handle put down though...

Kat_Momof3

the only issue any of us really have with evenflo infant seats (and this even goes compared to graco rear-adjust snugrides) is that handle issue.

Sure, rear adjust seats are harder to use... period... but why most of us would choose the rear adjust snugride over the evenflo ones (and this even goes back to when the snugride required the handle down)... is that horrid rule about being 1.5" away from the front seat.

It's just not easily doable.

Heck, it's why I chose a graco infant seat... because even in my big buick sedan I had at the time, with the driver's seat where I needed it to be, there was less than that amount of room. So, what I did was go graco and simply keep the handle down when transferring the seat into the car. If I was coming from the house, I would set it on the ground, put the handle where it needed to be, then lift it and put it on the base.

So as long as she has the room for the handle and will do it right every time, then I think it's a fine seat.

Maedze

If the choice is between a NIB Evenflo Embrace and an ancient expired infant seat, I would go with column A.

mish

Really, the Embrace isn't the worst seat out there. If it is front adjust, that would be even better. Like others said though, the handle issue is a hard one. If she isn't going to put the handle down, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC