Dumb question

fyrfightermomma

A mom I just sold a Marathon to on craigslist emailed me to tell me her older child at just about age 3 is about to outgrow the Marathon by height. He's about at the top slots.

Is it completely pathetic that I don't know harness heights off hand? They all seem so close together I'm not sure what to tell her to get him to age 4 (she doesn't seem to want to harness past the minimum, but hey...if I can get her to hold off on the booster until 4 I'm happy)

How much higher are the top slots on the GN and Frontier over the 65 lb Britax's? Is a Radian or True Fit much higher or pretty much the same and pointless?

My kid is so tiny, I've rarely if ever thought of harness heights. She fits in everything we buy! lol

Thanks guys

ADS

itzmeigh

haha! I feel your pain!

The Britax Big 3 are like 16 inches.

The Frontier is like 18.25

The Nautilus is like 18 (but you get more use then the Frontier)

The Radian is like 17

The Regent is like 20-22

If you go to Britax's site and look at each seat it tells you what they say their harness height is.

So far I think people get the most usable harness from the Nautilus.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I wonder if he's about at the top slots with a coat on? And even if not, it could still easily be 6-12 months before the MA is too short.
Those slots are about 17 inches, maybe a touch lower, the Radian is only a little taller, the Nautilus is about 18.5 and would make a good booster, that's probably what I'd recommend.

fyrfightermomma

Thanks guys! I think I will just do that. Would she be completely turned off if I offered to sell my GN to her? I'm selling it anyways, so it's good timing. She might think I am trying to be a used car salesman or something! LOL

I think I'll just recommend it and let her find it on craigslist on her own :whistle:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Keep in mind, too, that although the Nautilus is "only" 1.5 inches higher than the Marathon, it sits more upright, so it's a "big" 1.5 inches.

(In other words, because of the natural recline of the Marathon--especially installed--kids usually outgrow it before their torsos are actually 17 inches, whereas the Nautilus is closer to a true measurement.)

Jennifer mom to my 7

Keep in mind, too, that although the Nautilus is "only" 1.5 inches higher than the Marathon, it sits more upright, so it's a "big" 1.5 inches.

(In other words, because of the natural recline of the Marathon--especially installed--kids usually outgrow it before their torsos are actually 17 inches, whereas the Nautilus is closer to a true measurement.)

:yeahthat:
My dd outgrew her marathon (and it does measure 17 inches) at 3.5 with a 16.5 inch torso. She would have made it to just about 5 in the nautilus (maybe a little younger). She is just about out of the regent now at just about 6.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'd also see if the child is really close to outgrowing it...like someone said, is there a coat or something taking up extra room, or is the seat not installed complrtely upright? Or maybe is her idea of "just about ready to outgrow" not really accurate? Like..does he have an inch left? An inch might seem like alost nothing in the grand scheme of things, but is 6-18 months or so in torso height....
I'm just asking because a kid would have to be off the charts tall and long-torsoed to outgrow an Ma at 3......even Scatterbunny's ginormous dd was in it a little longer than that, I think?

fyrfightermomma

I'd also see if the child is really close to outgrowing it...like someone said, is there a coat or something taking up extra room, or is the seat not installed complrtely upright? Or maybe is her idea of "just about ready to outgrow" not really accurate? Like..does he have an inch left? An inch might seem like alost nothing in the grand scheme of things, but is 6-18 months or so in torso height....
I'm just asking because a kid would have to be off the charts tall and long-torsoed to outgrow an Ma at 3......even Scatterbunny's ginormous dd was in it a little longer than that, I think?

She is a complete stranger though. I just sold her my MA off craigslist, mentioned I was a tech and to email me if she had any car seat questions. A few weeks later she emailed me that her son was outgrowing the seat because his shoulders were just about at the top slots. So I have no way of seeing for myself. CHances are he is going to outgrow it before booster age anyways, so it's probably best if I just give her ideas for another harnessed seat so he doesn't end up boostered early, KWIM?

The Bjorns

I'm shocked. My DD is the tallest girl in her class at almost 5 with a longish torso and she's just at the top slots. I'm just not picturing any 3 yr old outgrowing the MA...:confused:

zeo2ski

. CHances are he is going to outgrow it before booster age anyways, so it's probably best if I just give her ideas for another harnessed seat so he doesn't end up boostered early, KWIM?

I agree, if she's willing to buy a seat now, I'd steer her that way rather than seeing if he could last a few more months in it because at that point she may not be willing to shell out for something other than a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC