No upper weight limit on Frontier in booster mode

Mommy0608

Did you know that the Frontier doesn't technically have an upper weight limit in booster mode, it's just for kids at least 40lbs?! Maybe this is old news, but I just found it out this morning so I thought I'd share. I knew the box said 40-100lbs, but I haven't played with one myself so I've never seen the manual or labels on the seat.

I got an email from someone in my local SK, who had asked Sarah Tilton about this. He forwarded her response, which said that while the box says 40-100lbs for booster mode, the manual (by which we are to abide) says "This child seat must only be used in booster mode with children 40 lbs. or more and meet all the above fit requirements (standing height, tops of ears and positioning of vehicle belt)." The label on the seat says "NOT to use it in booster mode with children LESS than 40 lbs."

I apologize if this is already well-known info. I just wanted to put it out there incase it's not. :thumbsup:

ADS

Mommy0608

Yes, I did know that it's wide and very tall, so this is great! :thumbsup:

I just wonder why I hadn't heard that before...? Hm.

Now I just need to get to BRU and play with it! :p

skaterbabs

Heck, I could almost comfortably use it in booster mode if necessary. :rolleyes: and I'm 5 ft 8 and WELL over 100 lbs. :p lol

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's only once in a while that people come here and ask what to do about very heavy kids who need boosters, and usually even getting them back into a backless is a big enough challenge, so I don't think we talk about the Britaxes being good past 100 lbs very often (and the Monterey is 120, isn't it?), so it's easy to miss :) (plus I think a lot of us have kids who fit the seatbelt around the 'average' of 11 and 80 pounds..and most cars have headrests..., so us regulars don't extol that Britax virtue regularly...)

:)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Becky, you KNEW I was thinking about you, didn't you? Your cars don't have headrests, you definitely need the Frontier to be as big as possible :D

Mommy0608

Haha, I'm sure I could fit... wonder how many strange looks I'd get at BRU if I plopped myself in the seat?! :whistle:

skaterbabs

yeah, I'm psychic like that. ;)

Couldn't do it until the rib heals though - a tiny bit of scrunching would be necessary. lol

Maedze

Booster approx. 40 lbs. to 100 lbs.

That is in the description of the seat on the Britax website. If Britax actually intends this seat to have no upper weight limit, they need to clearly outline it in the manual, not just omit a reference to upper weight alltogether.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Hmm, but the actual manual seems pretty clear just stating that the child must be at least 40 pounds. And the child needs to be at least 42 inches to use it in booster mode. I am still considering one to booster my 9 year old if we keep her on the rear bench of the van.

LuvMyGirls

I don't know. It looks like a lot of their wording isn't clear. It also says, "This child seat must only be used in booster mode with children 40lbs (18.1 kg) or more and meet all of the above fit requirements." That sounds contradictory to the harness usage guidelines that state "Children must: 1 be at least two years of age and 2 weigh between 25 – 80 lbs. (11.3 – 36.3 kg.) and 3 stand 30 – 53 in. (76.2 – 134.6 cm) in height."

Someone who doesn't speak our language might misunderstand and think their child cannot use the harness after 40 pounds but must use the seat as a booster. This is also the first time I've realized that the child must be at least 2 years old and 25 pounds and 30 inches to even use the seat in harness mode.

Mommy0608

I don't know. It looks like a lot of their wording isn't clear. It also says, "This child seat must only be used in booster mode with children 40lbs (18.1 kg) or more and meet all of the above fit requirements."

I don't know... that statement is no worse than many convertibles that say something like 'this seat must be used forward facing with kids 20-40lbs' (for example). I don't know the exact wording, but I know that it can be confusing. I do wish the language would be more clear, but I think the statement in the Frontier manual is okay (for me, anyway). I guess I don't know how clear that would be for someone who has no prior knowledge about the seat (or any other seat). Maybe if it had an additional phrase in that statement about using the harness as long as possible, but to a minimum of 40lbs...?

I'd copy and paste the email forwarded to me, but like I said it was just forwarded to me, not sent directly to me from the author (Sarah Tilton), so I don't know if it would be okay for me to do so. :eek: She did make a comment about the website saying approx. 40-100lbs for booster mode, and said something about their anthropometric calculations of weight for a 60" child.

Sarah visits this board sometimes, doesn't she? Maybe she'll see this and provide further explanation.

Jennifer mom to my 7

THe phrase you are thinking of is "this restraint must only be used in the rear facing position for a child under 1 year and 20 pounds". I have seen many parents get confused on that one.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Seat manufacturers are required to word the weight limit/minimum weight info. that way on the seat's labeling to comply with the FMVSS, and it does lead to confusion and misinterpretation. :eek: Convincing NHSTA to revise that aspect of the FMVSS would be a step toward improving the wording. :twocents:

Sarah Tilton

CPST Instructor
CORRECT - the Frontier DOES NOT have a maximum weight capacity in booster mode. Hopefully I can provide some input that will help.

The 40-100 lbs. on the box is a marketing thing. But as you know it is the labels and user guide that we have to use the product by.

First off - on page 5 the Note under the picture says This child seat must only be used in booster mode with children 40 lbs. or more and meet all the above fit requirements (standing height, tops of ears and positioning of vehicle belt).

Then on the warning label on the restraint the last bullet says NOT to use it in booster mode with children LESS than 40 lbs.

Why do Britax booster seats not have weight limits on their labels or in the user guide?

– FMVSS 213 does not require a maximum weight capacity on boosters, just a height range. (S5.5.2(f)
– FMVSS 213 does not permit recommended use of a booster to be less than 30 lbs. minimum weight capacity.
– Booster seats do not restrain the child or take a load in the event of a crash, the vehicle seat belt system does.

The information that is posted on our website, approximately 100 lbs. and on boxes is from anthropometric data relative to the standing height of 60”. Per FMVSS 213, a standing height is required on boosters, but not a maximum weight capacity. On the restraint itself or in the user guide it does not have a maximum capacity stated – these are the regulatory required pieces that a consumer would use a product as instructed by. The fit requirements are relative to positioning the head restraint of the Frontier so that the shoulder belt of the vehicle can be positioned correctly AND the top of the child’s ears are below the top of the head restraint of the Frontier.

I hope this helps.

Have a great week.

Sarah

Maedze

Sarah, that's really good news, especially considering the high head rest. That means that larger children who might otherwise have outgrown the booster by weight, but need head rest support in the vehicle, can still use the booster.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Am I remembering correctly that, at least towards the end of their existence, the Parkway and Monarch also didn't have stated weight limits?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Am I remembering correctly that, at least towards the end of their existence, the Parkway and Monarch also didn't have stated weight limits?

Right, they have the same 'approximately 30-100 pounds' wording on the weight limits, I believe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC