Just become mother of four, seat suggestions for toddler and infant

michelejo

Hi there,

I have an 18mo in a Roundabout and a newborn in a SnugRide. Before our newborn arrived, we had our 18mo rf in a tethored Roundabout in the center of my 2nd row (2001 Expedition). We've now moved my 18mo to the position behind the driver and made the RA ff. Now that she's in an outboard position, I'd like to upgrade to either a Boulevard or Decathalon...but cannot figure out which would be better.

I'm also compelled to put my newborn right into the RA (rather than wait till he's too heavy to carry in the "bucket" seat like I have in the past) so that he can be in a tethered seat. I have very tight installations but am missing that tether with the SnugRide. I'm tempted to upgrade the RA to a MA or Blvd. or Dec. as well but am worried the two seats would not work side-by-side very well since the RA is so compact and the others appear to be much larger.

Any input on a good seating arrangement and seat recs for me?

Thanks!
Michele
11yo dd, 57", 82#
7yo ds, 52", 80#
18mo dd, 30", 24# (Roundabout, newly FF)
1wk ds (Snugride, center of 2nd row)

ADS

cso1997

Is your 18mo too tall to RF in the RA? If not, you should think about turning her back rear facing because it is so much safer. If she is too tall, then yeah any big Britax seat would be good so you can turn her back rearfacing.

Do you have side airbags? I have read techs on other boards say that in their opinions, the added features of the BV really come into play in small vehicles and vehicles without side airbags. If you don't have side airbags, the BV is great because of the added TSIP headwings. However, maybe you are one of those parents that feels that you can never be too safe. If you have the funds, then the BV would cover all of your bases. The DC is really no different than the MA or RA as it does not have the extra feature of TSIP like the BV does.

Until you get a new seat, think about putting your DD in the center (if you are going to keep her ff) as she is less protected than your DS in the Snugride.

JMO.

Edited to try to explain my opinion a little better. I still don't think I did a great job. I think it might be because I am not completely clear of your situation. I guess in a perfect world, you would put your DD rearfacing outboard in a BV and either keep your DS in the middle in the Snugride or pass the RA down to him. However, I have no idea if the two seats would fit next to each other. The Expedition is pretty big and wide though. Hmm...

Last edited:

Tara

I can fit an RA next to an MA in our Exp in any configuration.

I'd put the 18 month old RF again too if not too tall for the RA. If so...go ahead with the newborn RF in the RA and get a MA (or whatever you choose) to RF the 18 month old.

I would put the newborn rf outboard, easier access in the center row. Then the 18 month old, preferrably RF in the center position in that same row. That one is about big enough to do most of the 'grunt work' herself, climbing in and out. Even if you choose to keep this one FF, I say keep her in this spot.
Then the older 2 in the rear seat outboard positions, in appropriate boosters if needed. If they do not pass the 5 step test:
The 5 Step Test

If you answer "No" to any of these questions, your child must be in a booster seat:
1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Is the lap belt touching the top of the thighs, not the tummy?
4. Is the shoulder belt centered on the shoulder and chest?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

Now as far as Marathon vs Boulevard vs Decathalon .. you can't go wrong with any of them. The Blvd is going to offer those headwings of TSIP and the DC offers crotch buckle adjustment, which I hear is nice for bigger kids (chunky monkeys)

Oh...a Snugride fits nicely next to a Roundabout or Marathon too...forward OR rear-facing. I think I've 'done it all' in my Expedition LOL (I have a Bodyguard, Parkway, Marathon and Snugride in there then the Roundabout swaps around with a FisherPrice Safe Embrace on a regular basis, whatever suits my mood LOL..but 5 seats in there ALL the time..you could probably do a search for my posts and find every configuration I've ever tried)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I can rf a BV and RA side by side in the 2nd row of my Suburban. Since she's going outboard, I'd upgrade the RA to a BV and personally, I'd keep the baby in the center. I don't like having a newborn completely out of my view and/or reach. I'd also keep the 18mo old rf. She won't be able to mess with the newborn as much if they are facing the same direction (not to mention it's just plain safer!)!

michelejo

lilac0422 said:
Is your 18mo too tall to RF in the RA? If not, you should think about turning her back rear facing because it is so much safer. If she is too tall, then yeah any big Britax seat would be good so you can turn her back rearfacing.

Thanks!

No, she's not too tall yet. I turned her because she could reach her little brother's face/chest and was hurting him. Also because I have to drive with my seat all the way back and the top of the RA shell was wedged against my seat when it was RF and then I couldn't reach in and get the baby in/out from the doorway--knowing I want to get her a BLVD or DC and they are taller, I cannot see how it'd fit behind me or the passenger seat. We didn't put her in the passenger side outboard position because that's where the seat folds down for our 7yo to get in and out of the third row. Now if I put the newborn outboard, I'd still want him in a BLVD or DC and it still wouldn't fit behind me while I drive. I hope that all makes sense! LOL!

Do you have side airbags? I have read techs on other boards say that in their opinions, the added features of the BV really come into play in small vehicles and vehicles without side airbags. If you don't have side airbags, the BV is great because of the added TSIP headwings. However, maybe you are one of those parents that feels that you can never be too safe. If you have the funds, then the BV would cover all of your bases. The DC is really no different than the MA or RA as it does not have the extra feature of TSIP like the BV does.

I don't have side airbags--wish I could buy a new car. *sigh* We've been through some financial hardship due to owning a house that's currently uninhabitable due to structural problems and I FEEL SO BAD that I cannot upgrade my vehicle to best accomodate our family right now! Off topic, I know, but the plan was to get a Suburban or Excursion or newer
Expedition when the baby arrived.

Until you get a new seat, think about putting your DD in the center (if you are going to keep her ff) as she is less protected than your DS in the Snugride.

Really? I just feel like I want him outta the Snugride and into something Britax and something tethered. I don't trust that base either, to be honest! I also felt it was an issue not to be able to check on him (or have my 11yo check on him) while driving. I tried him behind the driver's seat and he was completed isolated from everyone except the 18mo who was clawing at his face!

JMO.

Edited to try to explain my opinion a little better. I still don't think I did a great job. I think it might be because I am not completely clear of your situation. I guess in a perfect world, you would put your DD rearfacing outboard in a BV and either keep your DS in the middle in the Snugride or pass the RA down to him. However, I have no idea if the two seats would fit next to each other. The Expedition is pretty big and wide though. Hmm..

Yes, it is really roomy. I am actually hoping to get two BLVD or DC side by side for these two. Like I said, I just can't see how I can have them both RF given the "issues" described above.

michelejo

Tara said:
I can fit an RA next to an MA in our Exp in any configuration.

I'd put the 18 month old RF again too if not too tall for the RA. If so...go ahead with the newborn RF in the RA and get a MA (or whatever you choose) to RF the 18 month old.

I would put the newborn rf outboard, easier access in the center row. Then the 18 month old, preferrably RF in the center position in that same row. That one is about big enough to do most of the 'grunt work' herself, climbing in and out. Even if you choose to keep this one FF, I say keep her in this spot.
Then the older 2 in the rear seat outboard positions, in appropriate boosters if needed. If they do not pass the 5 step test:
The 5 Step Test

If you answer "No" to any of these questions, your child must be in a booster seat:
1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Is the lap belt touching the top of the thighs, not the tummy?
4. Is the shoulder belt centered on the shoulder and chest?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

Now as far as Marathon vs Boulevard vs Decathalon .. you can't go wrong with any of them. The Blvd is going to offer those headwings of TSIP and the DC offers crotch buckle adjustment, which I hear is nice for bigger kids (chunky monkeys)

Oh...a Snugride fits nicely next to a Roundabout or Marathon too...forward OR rear-facing. I think I've 'done it all' in my Expedition LOL (I have a Bodyguard, Parkway, Marathon and Snugride in there then the Roundabout swaps around with a FisherPrice Safe Embrace on a regular basis, whatever suits my mood LOL..but 5 seats in there ALL the time..you could probably do a search for my posts and find every configuration I've ever tried)

Thanks -- I can try again but it wasn't working having the two little ones RF for many reasons, which I mentioned above. I'd originally intended to keep my 18mo RF till 2 or 3 but I just can't see how it's gonna work right now. Then I could put her center if I can make a BLVD fit behind my fat butt ;) but I don't think it'll work. Something to think about though.

I believe my 11yo and 7yo (who is almost as tall as the 11yo and weighs more) pass the 5 steps. My 7yo is iffy on #5 but it was no better when he was in a Bodyguard. But a booster would solve the lack of headrest issue for him...he is chunky though and was very uncomfy (to the point of crying and complaining) in the BG so then we went to a backless Turbobooster till he got a little taller.

michelejo

KaysKidz said:
I can rf a BV and RA side by side in the 2nd row of my Suburban. Since she's going outboard, I'd upgrade the RA to a BV and personally, I'd keep the baby in the center. I don't like having a newborn completely out of my view and/or reach. I'd also keep the 18mo old rf. She won't be able to mess with the newborn as much if they are facing the same direction (not to mention it's just plain safer!)!

I agree with having the newborn center...I hated having him completely out of my view and reach. But the 18mo can mess with him when they are both RF and can't since turning her FF. *sigh*

Thanks!

michelejo

Well, I have decided to get them both new seats. Thinking BLVD for the TSIP though I like the DC better for several reasons. I will see if I can RF the new seat behind mine--if I can figure out a way to get around the issues I had when they were both RF. It's hard--I want to do the right thing but still have got to have it all working reasonable for us.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
michelejo said:
I agree with having the newborn center...I hated having him completely out of my view and reach. But the 18mo can mess with him when they are both RF and can't since turning her FF. *sigh*

Thanks!

Really? She must have long arms. I just know what kids will do w/their feet...I've had kids kick at the babies when they are beside them with one ff and one rf. THAT is not fun! I try to keep the ff kids in the 3rd row with the rf kids in the 2nd row. Right now I have a 3yr old ff center next to her 15mo old brother (rf drivers side with TONS of room FYI) and she hands him his bottle or sippy. It does get better! LOL

michelejo

KaysKidz said:
Really? She must have long arms. I just know what kids will do w/their feet...I've had kids kick at the babies when they are beside them with one ff and one rf. THAT is not fun! I try to keep the ff kids in the 3rd row with the rf kids in the 2nd row. Right now I have a 3yr old ff center next to her 15mo old brother (rf drivers side with TONS of room FYI) and she hands him his bottle or sippy. It does get better! LOL

LOL! She hasn't thought of using her feet yet but I'm not sure she could get them into his seat and up by his face. When she was RF too she was just blindly reaching around into his seat and grabbing whatever she could--she was also grabbing the shell of his seat and trying to shove it away saying "off, off!!!!" She's going through an adjustment!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC