Airbag On-Off Switch vs. Third Row

michelejo

Hi there!

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition (no headrest on third row) and just gave birth to my fourth child. Buying a different vehicle right now is out of the question (originally was going to get a later-model Exp. with headrests!) but I have huge qualms about using my third row seat regularly.

I've obtained authorization from the NHTSA to have an on-off switch for my front passenger airbag installed--after which I would have my 11yo then ride in the front passenger seat, thus allowing my 7yo to ride in the 2nd row rather than the third. (This would of course only be the case if there is no other adult with us, but about 90% of my driving is just the kids and I.)

My husband feels as though our 11yo would be safer in the third row, period, or that she'd be safer in the front with the airbag activated (I disagree with both).

I'm interested in getting feedback on our seating situation, these ideas *and* the issue of not having headrests on that third row (I feel it would be perfectly safe--well almost--if it did).

Thanks!
Michele
11yo dd, 57", 82#
7yo ds, 52", 80#
18mo dd, 30", 24# (Roundabout, newly FF)
1wk ds (Snugride, center of 2nd row)

ADS
B

blue_nova

michelejo said:
Hi there!

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition (no headrest on third row) and just gave birth to my fourth child. Buying a different vehicle right now is out of the question (originally was going to get a later-model Exp. with headrests!) but I have huge qualms about using my third row seat regularly.

I've obtained authorization from the NHTSA to have an on-off switch for my front passenger airbag installed--after which I would have my 11yo then ride in the front passenger seat, thus allowing my 7yo to ride in the 2nd row rather than the third. (This would of course only be the case if there is no other adult with us, but about 90% of my driving is just the kids and I.)

My husband feels as though our 11yo would be safer in the third row, period, or that she'd be safer in the front with the airbag activated (I disagree with both).

I'm interested in getting feedback on our seating situation, these ideas *and* the issue of not having headrests on that third row (I feel it would be perfectly safe--well almost--if it did).

Thanks!
Michele
11yo dd, 57", 82#
7yo ds, 52", 80#

Hello,
I am not a tech but here is what I would do.

Keep 1wk old ds the same. Turn 18 mo dd BACK to RF 2nd row(rearfacing is safest and Roundabouts RF till I belive 33 lbs) Have 11yo dd sit 2nd row also. 7yo ds can then go in the 3rd row in a britax parkway (good till about 60" and 100 lbs)

If you cannot buy a parkway at the current time another option would be to put the roundabout RF in the 3rd row and put 18 mo dd in from the tailgate. Snugride center of 2nd row and 2 oldest children on either side.

Michelle

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The front seat is considered much more dangerous than a back seat for anyone. Techs feel free to jump in to correct me on this, but as I understand it, simply riding in a back seat decreases the odds of being injured or killed in most types of crashes. Rear end crashes are the most rare type of crash (frontal and side impacts are more common). I would opt for a child properly restrained in the third row over riding in a front seat hands down.

The previous poster's Parkway booster suggestion for the third row is a good one if there's a shoulder belt available there. If not, then moving the Roundabout to the third row seems like a good plan B.

Just curious, was it really difficult to get the approval for the switch to turn off the front passenger airbag? I'm kind of surprised approval was granted for a vehicle with a third row. I have seen posts from techs saying it's extremely difficult to get approval to turn it off, and others have posted about not fully trusting the off switches for frontal airbags (like in pickups without a back seat).

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
blue_nova has some good suggestions. The Parkway is one of the highest-adjusting boosters out there, and it's very cushy and comfy. I'm 5'-2" and I can squeeze myself into it. My height is in my torso too. That'll solve the headrest issue plus someone will be in back to tend to the two year old.

Even if NHTSA gave authorization to disable the airbag, you might have trouble getting a shop to do it. Some just don't want the liability, and once you fiddle with the airbag system a lot of other components are affected. Passengers are MUCH safer in the back seat regardless of what's going on in the front seat. I would try to make the seats in the back work before putting the 11 year old up front.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I agree with the previous posts -- the front seat has a 40% increased risk of severe/fatal injury for all occupants, especially children under 13 years old.... It would be safest to make the 3rd row work & the front seat is a last resort option only :eek:

michelejo

Thanks everyone!

1) It was super-easy to get the authorization. I filled out and faxed in a short form and got the approval back in about 10 days. They even have a list of shops that will do it on their website (they provided the link with the authorization). It's about $400-$500 from what I've heard calling the different shops, by the time you pay for the part and labor. My biggest issue is that I feel like I would not necessarily trust the switch. I would have preferred to just have the bag taken out--but that cannot be done.

2) I'm glad I posted though because I didn't realize the front seat was THAT much more dangerous because of frontal vs. rear enders, etc. (read some of this in another post discussing putting baby in front)

3) I just keep picturing what would happen to my third row passengers if we WERE rear-ended by something large. Scary. I had planned to get a Suburban or Excursion to at least put more space b/w the bumper and the third row....then considered a later model Exp. with good headrests in the third row (and also shoulder belts in the center positions which mine does NOT have). Then realized the Sub. rates not as well for frontals...the Exc. apparently isn't tested and the biggest issue is our situation changed and it's really not feasible right now anyway!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes, frontal impacts also make up almost 50% of all crashes while rear end collisions are much less likely to happen, plus rear end collisions can be much less violent -- when the 1st vehicle is already moving in the same direction of the impact & because the seatback spreads the crash forces out more on the body....

All passengers should have head support at least up to the top of their ears -- does your 7 year old use a highback booster? Does the 2nd row have a 60/40 split?

I'd be tempted to have the oldest in the 2nd row with the newborn for easiest ability to help out, middle 2 in the 3rd row just to space them out for less stress from backseat arguments :rolleyes:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
You also have to remember that you are one of the bigger vehicles on the road. Your expidition would eat my Malibu Maxx for lunch in the right collision.

My PERSONAL belief is that driving SAFELY in a larger vehicle offers a bit more protection than driving a car.

Susan

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
michelejo said:
Hi there!

Thanks!
Michele
11yo dd, 57", 82#
7yo ds, 52", 80#

I agree with putting the 7yr old in a Parkway will give him the head support he needs in the 3rd row for sure. If putting the 18mth old back that I can understand that being difficult to get her in and out. But, My last resort would be putting any child in the front seat.

I am not sure if any of the older Exp even have center 3rd row l/s belts. I think all have lap belts in the center 3rd row. Or at least all the ones I have worked in have only had 3rd row center lap belts.

I have a Tahoe and I agree with the PP in the right accident I am better off in my larger vehicle. If I get involved with a head on collison with a 18 wheeler or dump truck well I am not sure any vehicle will make much differance at that point. My concern is I am in Texas land of the LARGE SUV's & pick up trucks. I drove a Passat for 2yrs and was so scared of a large SUV bumper coming at my girls heads. That is why we got a large SUV last year.

michelejo

Yeah, my '01 only has lap belts in the center of the 2nd and 3rd rows. I ordered a Parkway for my 7yo so he'll be safer in the third row. Finally convinced my dh that our 11yo isn't ready for the front seat, airbag or not (he wanted her there WITH the airbag--he believes it would protect her :rolleyes: ) so now our only problem is a cargo problem...the fact that I cannot fit our double stroller in the car behind the third row when it's in use. Thinking we'll go with a hitch-mounted cargo box to solve that issue. :eek: I also ordered a DC for my newborn and plan to pick one up locally for my toddler. :D

I drove a minivan for years (since '99) but when I was pregnant with #3 we got the Exp. since I didn't want one of the kids in the third row of a minivan...three across the second row works great. And I like the idea of driving a large vehicle since I felt so vulnerable to the large SUVs when we were in smaller cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC