A few questions....

daycaremom2002

My sister is almost 11 weeks pregnant. She is due the middle of August. We live in different states, so I am trying to help her plan ahead for her carseat situations so that we can work out any problems that might arise.

She drives an 02 Jeep Wrangler(hard top if that makes a difference.) Are there any know problems installing seats in this car? What about places to put a D-ring for future RF installs of an MA or similar seat?

Her DH drives a Mustang(not sure on the year.) I know the Mustang is a problem, we have discussed this already. She said if they need to go anywhere in the Mustang, she will just sit behind the driver and leave the front passenger seat empty. They don't plan on having to do this often though.

She is liking the Combi Shuttle. I have never used(or seen IRL) a Combi seat before. Are they easy to install? How long do you think it might last compared to a Snugride? I have told her approx 4-6 months depending on how tall the baby is. Her and her DH are tall thin people. Also, I think I read that the Shuttle has no minimum weight? Is this right? Do you think it would actually fit a baby smaller than 5 pounds? I am not anticipating any problems, but it never hurts to know all of the details.

Thanks for any help you may have.

BTW: Are any of our techs anywhere close to Farmington NM? I don't see one on the list, but maybe someone isn't listed? Thanks. :)

ADS

skipspin

Hm, well other than not being spacious and convenient most seats will install okay in a wrangler. The only problem you are likely to have is front to back space. Is this going to be the baby's primary vehicle? Will there be a front passenger? How often?

I'm not sure about the Combi Shuttle, but my Connection and Snugride both installed fine in the back seat. The Snugride left hardly any room for the front passenger, and the Combi was great as far as front leg room without the base. I've never tried it with the base in my 97 (same bodystyle) but I could. Once again, not the Shuttle, but the Connection that I had was great for tall babies. My kids are short and fat, but DS outgrew it by weight at 8 mo and 22/23 lbs. He still had 3ish inches above his head! It also fit him at around 7 lbs, his lowest weight.

If she needs more front passenger room then a RFing convertible could be a better bet, but at that point I'd suggest just getting baby in and out the back "hatch." If she's going to be alone with the baby a lot an infant seat might be worth it just because of how much easier it is to get baby in and out when they are little bitty.

Oh, and they will need a Maclaren or some other small stroller. I think my Snap and Go fit, but it was a pain to get in and out.

daycaremom2002

I think they will probably use the Jeep when they go anywhere as a family. This will be the primary vehicle. I don't know how often they go anywhere all together, but I imagine at least once a week or so.

She will want to use the base I am sure. She just will not have the patience to install the seat every time. She does want an infant seat to start with though. It gets cold enough where they are that she doesn't want to worry about the baby in the winter. Hopefully the Shuttle is good for tall babies also. Do you know where the Combi seats have the release to remove them from the base? Are they on the back like the Graco?

If you have the time and wouldn't mind, I would love to see how the seat fits with the base. I really haven't paid much attention to her back seat when she visits.

Do the Combi infant seats work with different strollers, or should she try to stay with the Combi brand? She was looking at one that was lightweight, but I am unsure how small it will fold down.

Thanks for the help. This is would be a lot easier if she hadn't moved so far away! LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC