Question Picking a high weight harness seat to fit my kid

cathysizer

Okay y'all helped me muddle through one round of eliminations, I'm going to go with a high harness weight seat, one of the ones that goes to either 65 or 80 lbs.

My son is not an extremely large boy but he is "stocky". He weighed 34 lbs. in November and is average height (can't remember how tall but I think like around 50th percentile or so). Unfortunately I have let the straps out on my Cosco Intera all the way so I have to get another seat. I can barely buckle it with regular household winter clothes on, so it's not like I'm putting a heavy coat on and then trying to buckle him up. I do use cloth diapers, I'm sure that doesn't help any but I do use a thin diaper cover which helps. He probably has a longer than average torso. He has not reached the FF limit of 40 lbs. nor are his shoulders at or above the last slots on the seat. I hope this gives you an idea of how he fits a seat. I'd say he's fairly comfortable width wise but not exactly a lot of room there either.

So I am wondering which seat out there would be the best choice for him? He is not a fat child at all, his ped at his last visit said normally a kid his weight he'd start talking to the parent about weight issues but he said "but your kid has pecs". He's solid as a rock (-: I'm mainly concerned as he reaches the upper weight limit of whatever seat I choose, I want it to fit width-wise and have enough strap length and lastly for him height of the slots. Obviously I'd like to try to find a product that will have the longest usefulness...

Also, where is the best place to find a list of ALL car seats that have high harness weight ability? I've found various lists but not sure which one has all qualifying - FF only OR convertable - listed.

ADS

Mama!

My own stocky boy fits very well into a Regent at 34 ish lbs. Its a broad seat and his barrel chest fits very well.

He usually rides in Recaro Signo, which harnesses to 70 lbs, but the top slot position is just not high enough for most kids to reach 70 lbs. So the Regent will be his as soon as she goes to a booster FT, as it absolutely has tall enough harness slots to get a kid to the max of 80 lbs.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
He'd probably be really comfy in the Britax Regent. It's a FF harnessed seat only, so you'd have to get a booster afterward. It would probably last your DS the full 6 years, though, since it has high top slots and an 80# weight limit.

Another option would be the Britax Frontier, which harnesses to 80# and then HBB to 100# (top slots a little lower than the Regent).

If you're wanting something more affordable, the Graco Nautilus harnesses to 65#, HBB to 100# and backless boosters to 100#. The issue w/ the Nautilus some broadshouldered or stocky kids find it a little too close for comfort.

If you're really on a budget and have head rests or high seat backs in your vehicle, the Cosco/Safety 1st Apex will harness to 65# and HBB to 100#. It's a wider seat, so it fits solid kids better than skinny kids. It's biggest thing is that there must be vehicle head support behind the child's head when used as a harnessed seat and a booster.

cathysizer

I heard that about the Graco. I had originally thought of getting that one but probably won't because my son trends wider than most.

Mama, do you think judging from the body style of your son that he will, at the upper weight limit, fit his broad upper body in the Regent comfortably? What do you think about the length of the straps? My son would still be using the Intera if the straps weren't so short!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It might help to see pictures of a lot of kids in the Regent (also called the Husky or Super Elite on this page)... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFalbum.aspx (click the thumbnails, there are some other seats in there so you can compare what they look like).
It's really nice and wide, lots of crotch strap room, and the harness is definitely long enough for kids at the upper weight limits :thumbsup:

I think we mentioned all the HWH seats that are forward facing only here, except the Safeguard seat and Safeguard Go (65 and 60 pounds respectively, and also fairly wide and comfy)

:)

cathysizer

What about the Ride Ryte booster and Kid Y harness? No one seems to have anything to say about it yeah or nay. I know it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but we don't go out much.

I think the Radian XT or 80, Regent, Frontier and until I hear a glaring reason not to use the Ride Ryte those are all my highest weight choices, right? Just trying to narrow down options.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The Radian in a narrow seat, so I wouldn't pick that for a stocky child.

I really think it is between the Frontier and Regent, being the tallest harness seats and wide enough.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
How old is your son? Unless he's close to 4 or older, I'd say get a traditional harnessed seat w/ a shell over a vest type restraint, even if you'll be using the vest w/ a booster.

Pixels

The Radian in a narrow seat, so I wouldn't pick that for a stocky child.

I really think it is between the Frontier and Regent, being the tallest harness seats and wide enough.
The Radian is 13 inches wide at the shoulders. I'm not sure how wide the seat is, but I think it's pretty close. The Regent is 15 inches wide at the shoulder, 12 at the seat. The Frontier is 15.25 inches at the shoulder, 12 at the seat.

HTH

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I just got a SafeGuard Child Seat and it would fit a stocky child quite well, I think. They're expensive but if you don't mind only having 6 years of life left (vs. 7) you can get them for $200 right now (that's what I did...) which is cheaper than a Regent (check out the Shopping and Deals forum.) I'm really, REALLY impressed with it.

cathysizer

Aaaaahhhh, that's exactly what I was wondering when I looked at pics of the Radian, judy. joolsplus3 that album helped a LOT. I am really leaning towards the Regent at this point, especially after that one pic of the good solid looking boy with his feet sitting square on the floor of the car sitting in a Husky (which I assume is the same seat as the Regent, all they did is rename it, right?).

Do y'all think I'm looking too far forward maybe? OTOH I don't want to buy a seat that's too large for DS now. I hate not being able to see these larger seats up close and personal. Should I maybe go for a smaller, more intermediate seat since my son is currently about 35 lbs? I guess I need to think this out a little more.

DD will be able to go into DS's Intera when she is too big for the baby bucket. And she ought to be able to RF in that until it expires. That Intera will work with her hopefully until she's ready to go to a bigger seat, the seat would expire at six years in 2011 - she'll be around three then. So I guess I'm estimating that if I want to pass his seat to her at that time, I need a seat for DS that will last until 2011, at which time he'll be six and only God knows how big he'll be then. If he grows on the same plane he has since he was very little he'll be about 50 lbs. BUT I guess what I am aiming for is at that point DD can take HIS seat and I'll re-evaluate DS's needs then... likely at that point he'll go in some sort of booster with an 86Y harness.

BTW I just found out on a website review that I shouldn't even be using the Intera in my vehicle FF because my vehicle (86 suburban) has no head restraints in the back (!). I know I've read that manual front to back, I guess I missed that! I don't think with him being just now 35 lbs. it was that huge of a safety issue as he's not high above the seat back but still!!!

Is this going to be an issue with any of the higher weight FF seats (like 65 lbs. and up)?

Mama!

I heard that about the Graco. I had originally thought of getting that one but probably won't because my son trends wider than most.

Mama, do you think judging from the body style of your son that he will, at the upper weight limit, fit his broad upper body in the Regent comfortably? What do you think about the length of the straps? My son would still be using the Intera if the straps weren't so short!

Yes I do. The Regent really does not narrow at the top. It is a very wide seat through and through, and he loves it. The strap adjuster and straps are verrry long on the Regent too.

In Feb, Britax will have another big sale. I got ours during that sale one year for $207 w/ 7 dollar shipping.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's only the Cosco seats (the only one you'd be considering is the Apex...also has a few other names...Alpha Elite/Safety 1st something-or-other...at any rate, they all harness to 65 pounds and require a headrest), or any of their boosters that require headrests... no other brand of seat or booster requires a headrest.

I wouldn't even consider an 86Y option till it's the last resort, it's a pain compared to a real seat :)

(Yeah, Husky is the Regent...they just changed the names and a few minor details).

:)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Apex is the only HWH seat that requires head support behind it (other than the SafeGuard GO and vests.) The Radian (which you've ruled out), Nautilus, Regent, Frontier, and SafeGuard Child Seat are all fine without head support.

Mama!

No restrictions on Regent about headrest. We actually remove ours to install Regent better. I have headrests that push way forward so its just easier for us.

ginny4

the regent is a real comfy seat. my DS is pretty stocky. he tested out his sisters regent (so harness is set too high for him) but at just 30lbs i thought he fit good. he is 35lbs now & i bet he'd fit real nice in it still.
2008-5121.jpg

ginny4

awww cute baby boy curls :love::love:

why thankyou!
well then i become totally curious how DS fits the regent now.... i decided to take a quick pic. he quite enjoyed trying a new seat out again.
still harness too high for him but....at 35lbs now. i'm sure he'll HATE this pic of him in a girly cover eventually. :D
Car002.jpg

cathysizer

Melissa, are both the Radian XT and Radian 80 the same widths?

The Radian is 13 inches wide at the shoulders. I'm not sure how wide the seat is, but I think it's pretty close. The Regent is 15 inches wide at the shoulder, 12 at the seat. The Frontier is 15.25 inches at the shoulder, 12 at the seat.

HTH

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC