Got DD's Scenera today

HEVY

And there's no way it's going to fit a newborn. It's on the harness is as tight as it can be and it's loose as well as seeming too high. I installed in in a 2003 2 door Focus using the shoulder/lap belt, no other install worked. But I'm going to need some noodles (which I forgot at KB and the store is closing on Thursday and we are expecting a snowstorm tonight). But I think we really need an infant seat. Dad is really receptive and is studying the user guide, and he was taught how to install both seat and baby.

ADS

Maedze

I've put a few average newborns in a Scenera and it fit beautifully. Do you have an actual child in the seat right now?

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I've used it for some average size newborns as well (7 pounds or so). I hope it works for your coming sweetie!

LuvBug

you may be surprised when you put baby in it ;) it had shorter slots than the safeseat. DNe fit in the 2nd slots when he was still barely above the bottom slots of the SS1

HEVY

Thanks, y'all helped my anxiety. I hope she fits. Is this one of the seats that can not be tethered RF? Also how far from the front seat does it need to be? Right now the recline is for an older baby and moves about 2 incehes. I think with some noodles the recline and movement will improve.

Oh no, I didn't use a child, I used a doll, lol. But a big doll.

scatterbunny

You know Andie (member here), with the small (like, below the bottom percentile) 1yo? He started out in a Scenera at birth (when he was pretty much exactly average on the growth charts), and it fit fine. :thumbsup: And, it installs fine in my car (2003 Ford Focus, but mine's a 4-door) with both LATCH and seatbelt. Noodles are necessary for the younger babies, though.

The Scenera is one of only a very few convertibles that I think have good chances of fitting newborns well.

Only Britax and Sunshine Kids seats can tether when RF.

It's fine for the Scenera to touch the front seat(s) as long as the vehicle owner's manual does not prohibit it (that should be listed in the carseats section of the vehicle owner's manual, if it's a concern).

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I installed in in a 2003 2 door Focus using the shoulder/lap belt, no other install worked.

Did you try center LATCH? Ford allows it for the Focus (I also have a 2003 Focus) and Cosco allows it if the vehicle allows it. :rolleyes: I actually prefer LATCH for this seat when installed RF so that it doesn't get tippy. I've also found that a tightly rolled bath towel usually does the trick as far as recline goes. (I usually wrap packing tape around the tightly rolled towel to prevent it from unrolling during installation or even once the seat is installed.)

Hope that helps some.

HEVY

I wasn't sure about using LATCH in the middle, they seem so far away and I definately need noodles. But if we (I am having them do the final install) can do middle with the LATCH and noodles I would rather. Dad is like 6'2 so his seat is all the way back and reclined so I'm not sure if I can get it in the middle. DD is 5' so no problem passenger outboard. How long should noodles be, wider, equal or shorter?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I wasn't sure about using LATCH in the middle, they seem so far away and I definately need noodles. But if we (I am having them do the final install) can do middle with the LATCH and noodles I would rather. Dad is like 6'2 so his seat is all the way back and reclined so I'm not sure if I can get it in the middle. DD is 5' so no problem passenger outboard. How long should noodles be, wider, equal or shorter?

Yep, you can use center LATCH for a Focus/Scenera combo. :thumbsup: The center lower anchors are pretty far apart but apparently not officially too far apart, and the Scenera doesn't give a limit to how far apart they can be.

If you're installing outboard, I'd cut the noodles so they're a little narrower than the distance between the lower LATCH anchors. I'd guess 10". A pyramid of three sections of pool noodle should be perfect.

Someone has a "from the side" picture of a RF Scenera installed with pool noodles - you might be able to find it if you search.

SPJ&E

I don't know if this will ease your mind or not, but here's Joshua in the Scenera at 3 weeks old (7 lbs. 5 oz. and 20 in.). He was about the size Pacey was at birth here (7 lbs. 5.5 oz. and 20.5 in. long)...so I'd say the size of an average newborn.

REMOVED PICS - He fit great though. The bottom harness slots were about 1" below his shoulders and the harness tightened just fine.

Last edited:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I didn't use noodles for my Scenera when I had a little baby in it....I just used a towel rolled up and taped the ends to keep it from unrolling.

I'd offer to take pics of Nicholas in it, but I think he's over 10 pounds now...and not so tiny!

Susan

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Wow he really does fit. Why am I seeing it so big? Thanks for showing me.

Not sure. But I actually encouraged my car seat program to stop buying infant seats and to get Scenera instead. The harness is lower than a snugride.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC