Need MA help!

AYDENSMOMPLUS2

I recently purchased a Britax Marathon off of CL and I have no idea what pattern the cover is, can someone help? It is a grayish-purplish cover with what I would describe as a "cheetah" print? Can someone name this for me? TIA!

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Are you using this seat that you bought used? I would strongly caution you against doing that...

lorinick

I don't know what pattern it is but I second what the pp said about using a seat you have no idea where it came from or if it was involved in a crash of any kind.

AYDENSMOMPLUS2

I was assured from the Mama that I bought it from that it was never involved in a crash. I am only using it temporarily as I am waiting for 2 radians i bought from Hipmonkey. The seat was in good condition with no cracks, tears and and all belts and stickers intact. Even the manual under the seat was still attached.

keri1292

Make sure that it hasn't expired as well.

You can get a brand, spankin' new Scenera for $45. :thumbsup:

I can't think of a single purplish MA cover. Perhaps, Colonial Blue which is light blue and has a pebble pattern?

canmom

I have no idea but I then again I am in Canada and we don't get all the covers here. Like the pps mentioneded, CL isn't a good idea... used seats are fine if they come from a reliable source, if you don't personally know the person how reliable can you say they are? I would also be looking the date of manufacture or an expire date on it. FYI, Britax seats expire 6 years from the date of manufacture (not day they bought it).

AYDENSMOMPLUS2

I would guess the Colonial Pebble is the closest. It is a Britax cover and the seat has a manufacturer date of 10/23/2003 which I know then expires Oct of 2009. Wow if I had known I would have gotten more responses about buying a car seat from CL rather than an answer to my actual question I don't think I would have posted! I know everyone is trying to be helpful but wow I think I am rather knowledgeable when it comes to car seat safety and didn't expect to have everyone jump down my throat about buying a used carseat I mean don't members sell their car seats on here used all the time? Just b/c it was off of CL doesn't mean that it's a bad seat, I would know no more about this Mama than anyone on here? Just because she may or may not have been a member doesn't mean that buying one on here is better than any where else. A used seat is a used seat hopefully the person buying is knowledgeable enough to know what to look for. Sorry just saying.

ame0312

I would guess the Colonial Pebble is the closest. It is a Britax cover and the seat has a manufacturer date of 10/23/2003 which I know then expires Oct of 2009. Wow if I had known I would have gotten more responses about buying a car seat from CL rather than an answer to my actual question I don't think I would have posted! I know everyone is trying to be helpful but wow I think I am rather knowledgeable when it comes to car seat safety and didn't expect to have everyone jump down my throat about buying a used carseat I mean don't members sell their car seats on here used all the time? Just b/c it was off of CL doesn't mean that it's a bad seat, I would know no more about this Mama than anyone on here? Just because she may or may not have been a member doesn't mean that buying one on here is better than any where else. A used seat is a used seat hopefully the person buying is knowledgeable enough to know what to look for. Sorry just saying.

no, its not any better or worse really... some of the people who list seats here are techs so that makes it a lil better... ive debated it many times, but ive decided to never buy used... not matter what... its your choice, but like we say... would you trust that person with your child's life? doubt it... people lie...

tiggercat

I would guess the Colonial Pebble is the closest. It is a Britax cover and the seat has a manufacturer date of 10/23/2003 which I know then expires Oct of 2009.

Double check that it isn't under recall, since the early MAs were recalled for the harness adjustor slippage.

I think people just want to make sure you are aware of the risks of buying a used seat. There really is no way to know if the seat has been treated properly, except the lady's word. The fact that she is selling a seat with 8 months of life on it makes me wonder...

canmom

Didn't mean to jump down your throat or make you feel like that. I personally wouldn't buy a used seat from anyone unless I personally know them and trust them. Many parents do feel they are knowledgeable, unfortunately very few actually are.

AYDENSMOMPLUS2

It's cool. I have spent a lot of time on this website researching so I do like to "think" I am more knowledgeable then some parents and I totally understand everyone's concern. But with twins on the way and the need for a temporary seat for my almost 3yo it was a good deal, even if it does expire in 8 months. And I have a Scenera in my DH's car and I absolutely hate it!! Again I do appreciate everyone's concern but as I mentioned I felt that there are used carseats sold on this very website, some by techs some not, so if I would be comfortable buying a used carseat here then why not.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Again I do appreciate everyone's concern but as I mentioned I felt that there are used carseats sold on this very website, some by techs some not, so if I would be comfortable buying a used carseat here then why not.

This difference being, the people on this very web site know how to take care of car seats, what to do and not to do.

87% of all car seats are used incorrectly. I would take that to mean they don't know that they can't wash the straps, or take that part off, etc.

When doing car seat clinic, no one, yes no one is using their car seats correctly in my area. They are surprised when I tell them that straps can not be washed, to turn in the registration, expiration, rear facing past a year, etc, etc.

So, not trying to be rude in any way, please, don't take it that way, but you are trusting the life of your child to a stranger. Glad you are getting it replaced soon! When you destroy the car seat, sell the cover. I know people would be happy to buy it and it is safe to continue to use.

canmom

87% of all car seats are used incorrectly. I would take that to mean they don't know that they can't wash the straps, or take that part off, etc.

When doing car seat clinic, no one, yes no one is using their car seats correctly in my area. They are surprised when I tell them that straps can not be washed, to turn in the registration, expiration, rear facing past a year, etc, etc.

I haven't done a lot of checks but I have never seen one used correctly either.

Maedze

Hi there.

To answer your question about purchasing seats here, while I would be comfortable from purchasing a used seat from many of the technicians and advocates on this board, outside of a very unsual circumstance I would not purchase a seat off of Craigslist.

As a tech, I have seen that even the most educated and well-meaning parents do things to their seats that make them non-crash worthy.

We tell people, when they are considering buying a seat from a stranger, "Would you trust this person with the life of your child?" It's sort of grabby way to put it, but it realistically illustrates the dangers involved in a CRS with an essentially unknown history.

If you come into one of our check stations and tell us you got the seat off of Craigslist, we will replace it with a barebones industrial combination seat or belt positioning booster depending on the child's age, weight and maturity. That's how serious of an issue it is.

No one here meant to hurt your feelings, I am quite certain of that. They are just concerned about your child's safety.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I do sell car seats on craigslist. But I state in the ads that I am a car seat tech and that I will teach proper use when it is bought. I will not sell the seat to someone that has a child that isn't right for the seat. I plan to sell a couple boosters soon. I won't sell them to anyone with kids that are too young.

ginny4

i'm not a tech either i am selling (i have a buyer) for my scenera on craigslist. most sellers on there are TERRIBLE but i for one am not. i gave SO SO MUCH info about the seat. i got thanked for providing such specific information about this seat & how is was treated. i much rather someone buy my seat then someone elses off there. not because of money but because i know what i'm doing. some other ads SCARE ME! but i would never myself buy a used seat. i would if i wanted the cover but never to actually use the seat. i don't trust anyone else.

MoreLatte

Just wanted to update to let everyone know the name of the print is "Artic Cat."
It was a 2004 cover from Britax for their MA's.

I was going to suggest it may be Arctic Cat. I have that one. Hang on to that cover when the seat expires, lots of people love that one. You could probably get a pretty penny out of it.

I also wanted to mention, the DOM on my Arctic Cat is 4/04 and it did need the Adjuster strap replaced as part of the recall. You'll want to give Britax a call so they can help you determine if that strap needs replaced :thumbsup:

The Bjorns

Just searched for "Arctic Cat" and found a picture of the seat cover. Very nice! :thumbsup: Definitely worth reselling when you're done with it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC