If a child passes the 5 step test would you use a lbb?

Amaris

M will be 8 in April, and he's on the highest setting in the monarch. He is 62lbs. I tried him in the captains chair in the middle row of our expedition and he already passes the 5 step test. If he's outgrown the hbb is there a purpose to continuing to use a lbb? We do have side airbags if it matters. Just wondering since he wants to be able to sit in nothing because most of his friends do. If he is safer in a lbb then that's what he will be in!

ADS

BW1426

Once he's been in the car for a little while does he still sit properly, or does he slouch a little?

I would be inclined to use a lbb for an 8 year old.

Could you take a picture of him in the captains chair?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
If he fits in the seat belt and sits correctly, I wouldn't use a lbb. I would use a hbb for the extra SIP, but since you have side air bags and he doesn't fit in your hbb anymore, I'd let him ride in just the seat belt. If he ends up slouching after sitting for awhile, it would be a good idea to use a lbb.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Did you look for the most important 6th step? Feet FLAT on the floor. If they don't have a comfy place to rest their feet, they don't pass the fifth step, 'sitting that way the entire trip'...kids will scootch down so their feet are comfy, and that causes the belt to ride up on the abdomen.
I also like to see kids at least somewhat starting into puberty...those hip bones need to be coming along before they can really hold the belt down... I'm going to search for the thread I started showing the 10 yo dummy in a crash, it's really not a very good result, I'll post it when I find it :)

scatterbunny

I would absolutely use a backless booster for an 8yo, 62# child outgrowing a Monarch by height. My own daughter is 7.5yo, 65# and on the highest setting of many highback boosters. I plan on having her in some sort of booster for years to come, because I am convinced that until puberty starts and hip bones begin to develop more, the lapbelt will not remain low like it needs to be during a crash to prevent submarining and internal injury.

The only time I would not use a backless booster for a child too tall for a highback is in a situation where the five step test is really passed, and there are no headrests available. I wouldn't feel good about it, though, knowing what I know about puberty/hip bone development.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
For my boys I have evaluated it this way - they not only have to pass the 5-Step test, they have to fit BETTER without the backless booster than with it. (Yes, they do eventually get to the point where the booster makes it fit worse!)

Sam can technically pass the 5-Step in many vehicles, and in some of those he's allowed to ride without a booster, but most of the time, the difference is obvious: without a booster, the seat belt fit is adequate; with a booster, the seat belt fit is ideal. So, I pick ideal. :thumbsup:

Amaris

His feet are on the floor while he's in the monarch, but he will be in a lbb for a while after reading and watching the replies here. I hadn't thought about the bones being stronger after puberty. Thanks for the quick replies! I wish he would fit in a hbb longer, but I'm really not going to get another one (is there even one taller than the monarch that's currently out?) for an inch or so.

Pixels

Well, I wouldn't say that dummy passed the 5-step test. The shoulder belt was more across the neck, than the collar bone. But the lap portion of the belt did seem to fit right, and that's what we're talking about in this case.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the Frontier is taller than the Monarch, but I really wouldn't invest in it, unless you could hand it down and get the full 9 years of use out of it, anyway.

:)

ginny4

For my boys I have evaluated it this way - they not only have to pass the 5-Step test, they have to fit BETTER without the backless booster than with it. (Yes, they do eventually get to the point where the booster makes it fit worse!)

Sam can technically pass the 5-Step in many vehicles, and in some of those he's allowed to ride without a booster, but most of the time, the difference is obvious: without a booster, the seat belt fit is adequate; with a booster, the seat belt fit is ideal. So, I pick ideal. :thumbsup:

:yeahthat: my ds fits OK without in our older van but fits better WITH a NBB.

sirrahn

Just agreeing with the others....my 11 yr old technically passes the 5 step test in both of our vehicles now (he's 4'9" and approaching 80lbs), but still rides in a lbb most of the time. The seatbelt fits well without it, but it's even better with it, and he still finds it more comfortable.

zeo2ski

I was wondering about this last night (don't ask why since we're still RFing) so I'm glad to have found this post.

For those of you who know about the hip bone development: Is it simply a matter of bone strength, or does the shape of the hip change as well?

canmom

For those of you who know about the hip bone development: Is it simply a matter of bone strength, or does the shape of the hip change as well?

I think it is a bit of both but mainly the development of the iliac crest which keeps the belt low on the hips.

tiggercat

My 8 yr old is about 65lbs (or more, I haven't weighed him in a few months) and is beginning to approach the 5 step test in some vehicles. I don't feel comfortable letting him ride without a booster yet, because all he has to do is wriggle around a bit, and the lap belt slides right up to his belly button.

Amaris

I would imagine that most almost 8 year olds don't pass the 5 step test, but my almost 8 year old is 4'8", and inch shorter than a pp 11 year old. Honestly, I would be very surprised if any of the other 2nd graders in his class pass it. When he walks down the hall with his class he is at least a head taller than everyone else. I would never move him unless I felt it was safe, and after reading here and watching the video he will be in a booster of some kind until the seatbelt fits better without it. If the frontier is pretty much the only taller booster then I'm not going to invest in it. I have a regent and a nautilus for I and a marathon for K. The nautilus doesn't work well for us, but dh would throw a fit if I bought another seat! I wish I could take a picture but I'm currently trying to decide on a new camera. Mine got dunked by K last week and quit working!

BW1426

What about getting a Monterey? It should buy you a couple inches and then it becomes a nbb.

scatterbunny

What about getting a Monterey? It should buy you a couple inches and then it becomes a nbb.

Most folks do NOT find the Monterey much taller, if any, than the Britax Parkway/Monarch. A couple people found it a couple of inches taller, but most Monterey owners agree it's pretty much the same height.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC