Frontier Recall really? Can't I just return the shoddy thing?!

marciemp

I have not been here for quite a while and this is my first time seeing the recall for the Frontier. My oldest rides in a Frontier and I am sure there have been many times that we loosen one strap at a time. I did mail in my registration card right after buying the seat, which was the first week they were released here, end of June early July 08. I have not checked our mail for a week or so, but we did not receive any info about the recall before then.

This is my first time buying a Britax and I am very annoyed. Not so much just by the recall but by many things. We bought this seat because the brand name is supposed to be excellent. The fabric on the seat is so frayed and disgusting, it has never been washed and according to the manufacturer never can be, it was very hard to install, and now they are telling me that I have to uninstall it every time to make sure it is safe and one strap has not fallen off which could cause death, or I have to make sure to pull both straps together, even for a short while before the fix, this would be a huge ordeal, I drive her multiple trips daily. What if she pulls them, what if one of my parents or my husband helps her in without thinking about it? My husband is not very good with is hands, or with having to do things an exact way and he would probably not be able to do it correctly. It is also hard to buckle as the buckles go so far down into the seat behind dd's bum, and if I dig them out the straps bunch or twist.

Why should I spend $300 on a carseat, only to have them send me a cheap fix, and live with shoddy fabric? Is there anyway to return the seat or deal with the seat fabric?

Our other 2 carseats are Eddie Bauer deluxe High back convertible seats which seem to get a horrible rap here but are easy to install, buckle and keep clean. We have had several potty accidents in them and the covers have been washed 4 or 5 times each, and they come out like new.

I would rather return the seat than live with one that was sold as a Cadillac but performs like a lemon. I feel like I got ripped off, and would hesitate to ever buy another Britax!

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.
Thank you

ADS

mommycat

I think if you are truly this dissatisfied with your seat, then it would be worth a try to contact Britax and ask for your money back (or at least some of it) and get a different seat. Your other option would probably be to sell the Frontier and use the money to buy something else. I think most Britax seats are excellent and I (and I think many others as well) was pretty disappointed to see the choice of fabric and twisty straps on the new seat. Sorry this has caused you so much frustration. :(

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I suspect your only option is going to be to sell the seat locally, but it never hurts to call Britax. Maybe they'd send you the updated harness so that you wouldn't have to use the fix caps? I believe the official recall shipping stuff wasn't starting until just a couple weeks ago, not that that makes it any better...

I understand your frustration and I wish there was a simple solution for you. If you'd recently bought it at TRU then you might be able to return it since it was recalled provided you have your receipt. If that is where you bought yours, maybe call your store and ask. I don't know what stores are doing, but I know some stuff that's recalled is taken as a return depending on what the "fix" is.

canadiangie

If you call Britax I would also mention the state of the cover. It shouldn't be frayed like that. I know it's mesh and it's not typical Britax quality per se, but it shouldn't be falling to pieces already -- especially if you've followed directions and not washed it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC