Safeguard Go headrest- is it detachable?

I was looking at the safeguard website and it shows an installation video of the Go booster. I noticed there is no headrest in the video but the picture of the seat itself (and the same picture in the review here on this website) shows a picture of some type of headrest. The review specifically states this is not a head *restraint* but there is something there that's not shown in the video.

Can someone clarify this? And if you do the installation do you attach the headrest (or whatever that is) before or after?

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, the headrest is detachable. I'm not sure it can be used with the booster as a sleep positioner since it's not in the directions, but it's also not a safety feature either. I think you can attach it either before or after installation.

U

Unregistered

By 'not a safety feature' does that mean that it is not side impact protection? I assumed that since the Safeguard seat is so good, that the Go is too. Am I wrong? I don't hear a lot about it here.

U

Unregistered

I wonder a lot about it too....

it seems like a good option for those who need to move their seats around a lot. Personally I'd like to use it for carpooling situations, but when my kids outgrow their FP safe embrace seats I may use it permanently in our Sienna.

It does offer the 5pt harness but does not offer any hard shell. Does that make it less safe than getting a larger seat with both the 5pt harness and the shell? That is the question. We have a vehicle that does have side impact airbags, though both kids now sit in outboard positions (Captains chairs in second row of our '06 Sienna).

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think it does have a bit of protection since it's EPP foam, but it's mainly for positioning and comfort. I think SafeGuard has done some side impact testing on the seat, but you'd have to contact them to find out what specifically they've done.

I don't think I'd use it on a regular basis, but I'd have no qualms at all about using it on trips, car pools or especially in vehicles with side air bags. It's a great little niche seat.

U

Unregistered

Heather......

you said you wouldn't use it on a regular basis....does this mean even after a child is 40lb and technically safe to use a bpb? Seems like if the option is a Go Seat or a BPB it would be the better choice for every day use.

But maybe you are saying that you would choose a hard shell booster like the Recaro Young Sport or Apex or even going to a MA or Regent. I cannot see myself going for the last two.

The way I see it is the Go seat is like going with a BPB except it has a 5pt harness also. Keep in mind that I wouldn't be using it every day until my kids have fully outgrown their FPSE's. So they'd likely be over 6yrs old by then.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Unregistered said:
you said you wouldn't use it on a regular basis....does this mean even after a child is 40lb and technically safe to use a bpb? Seems like if the option is a Go Seat or a BPB it would be the better choice for every day use.

But maybe you are saying that you would choose a hard shell booster like the Recaro Young Sport or Apex or even going to a MA or Regent. I cannot see myself going for the last two.

The way I see it is the Go seat is like going with a BPB except it has a 5pt harness also. Keep in mind that I wouldn't be using it every day until my kids have fully outgrown their FPSE's. So they'd likely be over 6yrs old by then.

Heather & I got to play with the Safe Guard Go at Lifesavers. I agree I wouldn't want it as an everyday seat. The harnesses each have to be tighten instead of 1 center harness adjuster. I think it would be a good bpb but I would go with a Parkway over the Safe Guard Go for the pure fact you have SIP. If you wanting to keep the child harnessed again I would go with a Marathon or Apex for the fact you have more protection (for side impact).

If I recall from what of the reps said it doesn't have SIP. But, Not sure what & if any testing has been done.

It's a great niche seat for carpools & traveling.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What Jenny said :). I would use the SafeGuard Go as a 2nd seat that wasn't used as often or as a travel/grandma's car seat, but I think to use it on a daily basis would be a bit of a hassle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC