seat belts

U

Unregistered

I have a question that I have wondered about for a while. My van has one of the seatbelts that you can move up or down along the track on the side by the door- so you can adjust the height of it. How should it be adjusted for the best safety? I sure hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Very good question!

This is a great feature, and more and more vehicles are getting it.

The advice is the same for adults and kids in boosters-

Adjust the shoulder belt so that the belt crosses the center of the shoulder and chest. You don't want the belt on the person's neck, arm or tummy. If you can't adjust it low enough to keep it off their neck, then you may need a booster.

Here is a good illustration:

http://www.boostamerica.org/rightwrong.htm

U

Unregistered

still confused

Well, it doesn't matter if I have the belt up high or down low - it still falls across the middle of my shoulder. Is it safer to have it higher or closer to the shoulder, or does it not matter?

Thanks.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like it may be OK either way-

From what you describe, it sounds like it fits OK no matter how you adjust it. Of course, without being able to see it in person there is no way to be sure. If you have kids in carseats or boosters, it is a great idea to take them in for a free checkup. While the technicians are fitting their seats, they would be happy to check the fit of the seatbelt on you as well. Please visit the "Free Carseat Inspection" link under the top banner to find one near you.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but it may well be fitting you OK as it is. Given a choice, I would tend to want it higher and closer to the center of my shoulder blade rather then closer to the arm. Less chance of it being down along the arm if I happen to lean over a bit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC