Britax Galaxy?!

firemomof3

So, I was at a high-end baby store today just looking around :rolleyes: and I saw this strange looking convertible seat with some type of anti-rebound bar so I went to go check it out; a Britax Galaxy for $239!! I have never heard of one! Anyway, I looked and it had a dom of 2002! They also had some Britax bodyguards...The salesman says "I have new ones still in their boxes" I tried to explain about the 6year expiration and he just didn't get it :mad:
britaxgalaxy.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sad.

When I tell people about expiration dates I tell them to call Britax (or whoever) to double check.

"Sir, this seat is no longer safe to use and you could be held liable. Before you sell it maybe you should just double check with Britax that you're not asking for trouble before you sell it."

Wendy

firemomof3

That is a very good way to put it :) I will be going back to this store tonight so I will tell him exactly that, thanks!

calebsmama03

I clicked this thinking, "WOW, they're making them again?!" We have this seat and love it - so easy to get it rock solid with the anti rebound bar. That said, mine is about an inch from expiring and I'm so sad to not be able to use it RF with future babes. :(

ETA: Pathetic that they were trying to sell it with that DOM, and for that price (even if the seat didn't expire for a few years, I paid $150 for mine)

capeKO71

Yeah - we had 2 - they were awesome seats. Loved the rebound bar. :)

But definitely not a good idea for a store to be selling them!

firemomof3

Update!: I went back to the store tonight and the Galaxies are still there! I wrote an email to the parent company...so we'll see

dhardawa

If you'll PM me the name of the store, the city and state, and the DOMs of the seats, I'll make a call to Britax and see if they can get his area rep to pay him a visit.

cathysizer

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, other than checking with the MFG to see if they are unsafe by way of design improvements (meaning it wouldn't be safe to use that style because the newer ones were improved upon safety-wise), I would say they might still be safe to use. If the MFG were to agree that degredation would not have occurred in a climate-controlled store, and if the seats had been kept in their boxes out of light and kept in a temp controlled store, they ought to be safe but for how long? The store would be opening themselves up for liability selling an expired seat anyways... FWIW if I were the store owner and if britax wouldn't allow me to return for credit, I'd donate them to needy families ASAP and write off the loss or sell them at cost to get them OUT OF THERE.

Maedze

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, other than checking with the MFG to see if they are unsafe by way of design improvements (meaning it wouldn't be safe to use that style because the newer ones were improved upon safety-wise), I would say they might still be safe to use. If the MFG were to agree that degredation would not have occurred in a climate-controlled store, and if the seats had been kept in their boxes out of light and kept in a temp controlled store, they ought to be safe but for how long? The store would be opening themselves up for liability selling an expired seat anyways... FWIW if I were the store owner and if britax wouldn't allow me to return for credit, I'd donate them to needy families ASAP and write off the loss or sell them at cost to get them OUT OF THERE.

Welcome to C-S.org :)

Unfortunately, the seats are absolutely not safe to use, regardless of temperature control. There is a reason there is a six year expiration on most Britax products. These seats expired sometime last year.

Donating them to needy families sounds like it's a good thing when in actuality it isn't. There are many organizations that keep and donate SAFE UNEXPIRED products, which these are not.

The seats are good for two things. They could be used by a CPST for training programs, OR they need to be destroyed and trashed or recycled. Under no circumstances are they safe for child restraint use.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Because it has very little to do with use. It has to due to plastic degradation. And that happens whether or not it's been used at all.

Have you ever left a plastic toy outside for a few months? Then you go and step on it and it's brittle. The same thing happens. After six years Britax doesn't guarantee that the plastic won't react in the same way during a collision.

Wendy

brittany741

I've come to the conclusion that some presents are not gifts.

Hopefully Britax will step up and take action. Perhaps they will be able to do something, anything, to get these seats out of circulation. I can't see them allowing him to continue being an authorized distributor if he is selling expired seats.

"Just because Milk is unopened, doesn't mean it won't spoil."

firemomof3

I have yet to get back a response from the email I send to the parent store. So, I'm debating on whether or not to start the process with consumer safety?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC