Question Would you re-harness this child?

Would you re-harness her? (In this situation)

• Yes, get a regent

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • No, stick with a good booster and keep trying to train her

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other (suggestions?)

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Clickity Clicky box

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

April

Child is a girl, 7 years old, 55lbs, 18 inch torso. Currently sits in a high back booster, although not correctly about 50-60% of the time. This is not a discipline issue or for lack of "booster training", she has some issues with paying attention and remembering things, as well as a real lack of impulse control (more so than most kids her age or younger). Locking the seatbelts is not an option because it is a vehicle with locking latchplates.

If money were not much of an issue, would you re-harness this child? (Presumably a regent is the only option at this point). A Regent could be passed down once outgrown by the 7 year old. How much room to grow would a child with an 18 inch torso have in a Regent?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If it were my child? Yes, I'd probably do it.

If it were someone else's child? I wouldn't push the issue very strongly.

ETA: But is the Regent a legal option for this child? (Just realized that you're in Canada.)

NannyMom

Ideally, I would. But really I wouldn't because I don't trust the hooks enough to use them as TAs :(

April

ETA: But is the Regent a legal option for this child? (Just realized that you're in Canada.)

This is for one of my children, and I'm comfortable making a parental decision to use a Regent if it will keep her safe. (But that aspect of the decision is not what I'm struggling with at the moment, it's whether to re-harness her, legalities aside ;))

Can you lock the seatbelt so she can't move around so much?

Nope, no retractor. Seatbelt locks at the latchplate.

Ideally, I would. But really I wouldn't because I don't trust the hooks enough to use them as TAs :(

Well, operating on the basis that we get to the bottom of that and it's all kosher.:cool:

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I would absolutely re-harness in that situation. Having a child that doesn't sit correctly for that amount of time would be a huge distraction to me while I'm driving, not to mention increased risk of injury for them in the event of an accident. So yes, if it were my child, I would get a Regent.

April

I would absolutely re-harness in that situation. Having a child that doesn't sit correctly for that amount of time would be a huge distraction to me while I'm driving, not to mention increased risk of injury for them in the event of an accident. So yes, if it were my child, I would get a Regent.

It IS a huge distraction. Also a huge bad example for the three younger children in the vehicle.

Either that or an 86Y. Are they usable in CA?

I have no idea if they are or not. Like I said, the question is not "Would you use an ILLEGAL seat in this situation", because I'm already prepared to do that if it'll keep her safe. However, if the 86Y is legal in Canada, that would be a preferred option.

I'll admit as well, that part of my motivation here is that it might "teach her" how to sit properly as bad as that sounds. She does not want to be harnessed. She rode in our GN for 30 minutes and was begging for us to pull over and get her out of it. (She is even with the top slots though, so using that is not an option). I've been telling her forever that if she can't sit properly, I'm going to put her in a harnessed seat. But really, her impulse control is terrible (right across the board, not just in this aspect) and so maybe a few months - a year in a harness will get the message across that she has to sit properly if she wants the "privelege" of a booster. She has a LOT of heavy emotional stuff right now, and I think right now, it'd be easier on everyone if she was harnessed safely, instead of daily battles in the car and pulling over every five minutes.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, as 86Y would help teach her, and be an easy change back to her booster, when she decides she is ready.

April

Well, as 86Y would help teach her, and be an easy change back to her booster, when she decides she is ready.

I'm trying to find out if we can use them here, but of course "86Y" is too short to search by...Grrr....

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It doesn't say anything about approval to anything but U.S. standards on their site but there is ordering info for Canada on their ordering information page. However I don't know if that is just for buses or what. You could contact them and find out.

April

Thank you Crunchy! I don't know if I could actually go about getting a prescription for her, since she has no family doctor at the moment, but it's definitely something to look into. (And cheaper than a Regent).

April

Question though...because I don't totally "get" how the RSTV or 86Y work...Since we don't have locking retractors, would it be just the tether stopping her from leaning forward and getting out of position? If anyone has used one, could you describe how constricting (restricting? confining?) they are in comparison to a 5pt seat?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I know the RSTV is VERY confining. They are really stuck once they get put in, from what I've heard.

I am not sure about the 86 Y.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC