When is the right time to switch RF to FF?

momto2princes

Is it 30-35lbs?
Is it a certain age (ie. 3 years or 4 years)?
Is it a combination of both weight and age based on when they outgrow their seat RF?

When do you consider it safe to turn a child FF? Why?

Thanks!!

If you have noticed my other posts I am really struggling to decide when to turn my youngest DS and I just can't make up my mind.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The best time is when the child has outgrown the limits of a rear-facing convertible seat.

I would consider turning a 3yo if he was absolutely miserable (not just a bit whiny) rear-facing. I would consider turning sooner (like maybe 2.5 years, not 12 months) if the child was severely carsick or if it was the only way I could accomodate three across and keep a younger/smaller child rear-facing.

Kellz625

I think most people on this forum consider when they outgrow the seat to be the right time. Usually it is 35 lbs (the max on the seats in the US, I believe) or within an inch of the top of the carseat shell.

I moved my older son FF at a year old, but I think I'm going to wait with my 8 month old.

NannyMom

I have been blessed with a petite daughter :) She's 2 years 4 months, and only 25 pounds. The pediatrician predicted she wouldn't get to 35 pounds until after she'd turned 5! Right now, I'm thinking I;d like her to RF at least until she's 4 years. Three just seems soyoung to me. If she's 4, and still not 35 pounds and still has torso room to grow, I'll re-evaluate (and I'd also take her opinion into consideration).

However, I have a friend who's DD was 30 pounds at 18 months. I'm sure she'd be 35 pounds before turning 3. If that was my DD, I really don't know what I'd do. Seats here only go to 35 pounds RF. So that would leave me with quite a prediciment.

So, I'd like to see kids get to at least 4 years RF. However, if the child reaches the maximum limits before 4, there's not a lot you can do.

:twocents:

munchkin

My personal minimums are 3 years AND 30 pounds. And really then, I will have to assess the situation, are they happy/comfortable/etc.? Obviously I will turn a younger child if they are over the 35 lb weight limit, but I won't turn an older child until they are over 30 lbs.

abarnes6

It's hard when you have big kids! My DD is 28mths (36") and 33-35# depending on the day you weigh her. My boys were that weight much earlier so there just isn't anything you can do except FF them once they hit that mark. :(

rodentranger

It's hard when you have big kids! My DD is 28mths (36") and 33-35# depending on the day you weigh her. My boys were that weight much earlier so there just isn't anything you can do except FF them once they hit that mark. :(

DS1 is 36" tall, 29-32 lbs at 25 mos. I really, really, really am not ready to have to turn him ff. My MAs are both 33 lb and DS2 isn't big enough for them yet to switch the TF with one. :( Maybe if he stays sick and not eating a few more days...:whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd say at the limits of the seat-- except when the child is so big they outgrow the biggest seat on the market rear-facing too early. My daughter is almost 27 lbs. with a 15 inch torso and is 9 months old. My brother was 35 lbs. at his one-year checkup. In cases like that, I get nervous.

If my daughter outgrows her Radian rear-facing before 18 months, or maybe before 2 years, I forsee a parental decision to illegally use a Swedish seat coming up. Hopefully it won't come to that as that's a very expensive and, you know, illegal option but I'll do what I have to to keep my child safe, and I just DON'T consider forward-facing at a year safe.

I'm really hoping that she slows down on the weight gain and growing soon...

urchin_grey

I won't turn my DS FF'ing until he outgrows his seat (which most likely will be by height) and he'll be four in May. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I turned dd1 after age 3 in our smaller car when it was a pain to fold her in half to get her into the seat. She stayed comfortably RF in our minivan till she was 4.5 and finally hit 33 pounds in her old Marathon.
I'm weeping now because her 'little' sister is 3 tomorrow and is right on the weight limit edge of her Radian (34.5 with clothes on) and is going to have to FF way sooner than I'd like (full time...she's been FF in dad's car since about 20 months because of his carpool situation).
The biggest risk to kids FF is in side impact crashes... so you want to make sure to top tether and have a solid install and maybe even a seat with good SIP if you can afford it. :twocents::)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
For me it's when the child has reached the limits for their convertible. I had to turn my youngest at 2.5yrs due to her hitting 33lbs which was the weight limit for her Marathon. My oldest I turned at 18mths and close to 25lbs but I also didn't know the benefits of rear facing. I thought I was over the top with 18mths when all her friends the same age had already been turned ff'ing.

Pixels

My minimum goal is 3 years. Below 3, I'd consider our finances, and think about contacting AdventureDad. At 4, I'd consider the wants of the child (though don't honestly expect an eldest child to want to turn around). Once the child is in school (Kindergarten) I'll probaby go FFing regardless.

I'm currently predicting DD will hit 35 pounds around 4-5 years.

christineka

My dd is teeny tiny. I've decided to turn her ffing at age 5 unless she protests and would rather remain rfing. If I had a large child, I would figure out how to get the funds for a Swedish seat so that the young one could rf to age 3-4. I would not consider ffing under age 3. (Thank goodness for my finances that I have the teeny kids.)

FrogJuice

I agree rear facing is best, but I think it needs to be up to your personal preference on when to turn him FF. I think at his age you have done a good job keeping him RF this long and if you really think it might be time, why not just try it for one trip, and see how you feel. if you don't like it you can always turn him back around.

jb5416

My 23 month-old is huge--just weighed him this weekend and he is 32 lbs./37.5 inches tall. He's currently rf in a TF and I think I'm going to have to turn him soon. I doubt he'll make it much past his birthday. I am so bummed and wish like heck I could rf him to 3 or 4...
Jessie

Pixels

My 23 month-old is huge--just weighed him this weekend and he is 32 lbs./37.5 inches tall. He's currently rf in a TF and I think I'm going to have to turn him soon. I doubt he'll make it much past his birthday. I am so bummed and wish like heck I could rf him to 3 or 4...
Jessie

35 pounds won't come until 3 years 1 month, according to my anthropometric calculator (think cool computer software version of the charts at the doctor's office). They really slow down their growth at that age. So depending on how comfortable you are pushing that 35 pound limit, and of course depending on the exact timing of growth spurts, you may very well get to 3 years. :thumbsup:

Heather86

My ds is 2y 11m and weighs 29lbs 4ounces Fully dressed after a good meal. I've fought with turning him at different points mainly when his fathers family is around but I'll wait till he hits 35lbs I've got my regent sold to resist temptation lol Because he really is a peanut. So we are definitely going to the 35lbs limit of some seat (yet to be detirmened)

momto2princes

35 pounds won't come until 3 years 1 month, according to my anthropometric calculator (think cool computer software version of the charts at the doctor's office). They really slow down their growth at that age. So depending on how comfortable you are pushing that 35 pound limit, and of course depending on the exact timing of growth spurts, you may very well get to 3 years. :thumbsup:

I would love to use that calculator can you PM with some info please! Or can I give you some stats?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC