What? they won't sell a harness to me - Recaro???

capeKO71

So my young sport is showing some fraying where the buckle is on the harness because the hole the harness goes through is actually smaller then the webbing. I emailed them asking how I could receive new webbing... here was their response:hitselfonhead:

"Thank you for contacting RECARO North America. Unfortunately we do not sell replacement harnesses not am I able to send you one due to liability issues. This part is tested as a component of the seat not as an individual part, because of this we are unable to provide this as a replacement part. I apologize for the inconvenience this causes. (from Diann in customer service)"

That makes no sense. The harness is fully removable (to turn into booster mode) and its not like I'm asking for a different part... I want the same part. Makes NO sense. They'd rather me use a fraying webbing with my child then provide me with a new harness???? (I'd pay for it... not asking for free since I'm out of warranty).

the weirdest thing is, I got the response on a Sunday...

I'm going to call tomorrow and talk to someone legit.

ADS

capeKO71

That is just so weird! I'm sorry... but these parts are made to come off and be put back on again (due to booster mode). Why would it be a liability issue for them to issue the SAME PART??? so friggin weird. I'll be a little annoyed if I cannot use this seat as a harnessed seat.

BW1426

Interesting that it's not a liability for seats under warranty, but it is for seats out of warranty :rolleyes:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, that ticks me off. I haven't been happy with the way Recaro has seemed to have so little concern for the safety of their seats, and this is just one more strike.

Definitely call tomorrow and try to get someone who will help you, and please keep us updated.

If they still refuse to sell you a new harness, I'd file a complaint with NHTSA.

FrogJuice

that is very odd, what makes a difference, as long has it's the correct harness, you should let them know they could be liable if the harness breaks durning a crash.

BW1426

I was thinking about this. What do we think the reaction would be if a certified letter was sent with a postmarked return envelope requesting that Recaro sign a waiver saying if a child is injured using the seat that they refuse to offer replacement parts for that they will take responsibility--much like we do with insurance companies. I imagine if it were to be sent to the right people that it would at least catch someone's attention.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Well, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it's appropriate to send such a letter to an insurance company, and I don't think it's appropriate to send such a letter to Recaro.

I think it stinks that they won't sell a replacement harness. I think it's terrible customer service. I think it would make me think twice before buying a seat from them.

I do not, however, think they have or should have any liability if a customer chooses to use a seat with a frayed harness. I think it's absurd to expect them to sign such a waiver. If a seat, out of warranty, is no longer usable, then it's not their responsibility. Customer-unfriendliness is way different from dangerous practices.

tjham

That is so wrong! Imagine how many people take the harness off for booster mode and misplace it before they need the seat harnessed again for another child. Hope you get their attention!

flutie128

I think that if a car seat is good for 6 years then I should be able to get parts if something need fix within those 6 years. If I cannot than I think it would be on the company that made the seat. I would not except the company to pay for the parts but at least sell them.

Maedze

I do not, however, think they have or should have any liability if a customer chooses to use a seat with a frayed harness. I think it's absurd to expect them to sign such a waiver. If a seat, out of warranty, is no longer usable, then it's not their responsibility. Customer-unfriendliness is way different from dangerous practices.

In that case, their 'warranty' should be expected extend until the seat expires :twocents:

Kat_Momof3

but she's not asking them to GIVE her the harnesses, as they would for people under warrenty.... she's asking them to SELL her the harnesses.

The whole point of having seats expire is because there is a length of time then where you can expect and not expect replacment parts to be available. There is no reason they should be able to refuse to SELL her (for MONEY) a replacement harness.

BW1426

Well, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it's appropriate to send such a letter to an insurance company, and I don't think it's appropriate to send such a letter to Recaro.

I think it stinks that they won't sell a replacement harness. I think it's terrible customer service. I think it would make me think twice before buying a seat from them.

No company with any ounce of common sense would ever sign such a waiver. The idea here is that it would prompt them to fix the behavior because such a letter would show how serious the consumer is about the issue. If a company did sign a waiver like that, well, they're complete idiots :twocents:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The whole point of having seats expire is because there is a length of time then where you can expect and not expect replacment parts to be available. There is no reason they should be able to refuse to SELL her (for MONEY) a replacement harness.

A company should be able to refuse to sell anything it doesn't want to sell, even though it stinks and it's a good reason not to do business with that company

No company with any ounce of common sense would ever sign such a waiver. The idea here is that it would prompt them to fix the behavior because such a letter would show how serious the consumer is about the issue. If a company did sign a waiver like that, well, they're complete idiots :twocents:

IME, when customers ask for something that no "company with any ounce of common sense would ever" agree to, the consumer is not perceived as serious, she is perceived as a nutjob.

BW1426

IME, when customers ask for something that no "company with any ounce of common sense would ever" agree to, the consumer is not perceived as serious, she is perceived as a nutjob.

Seems to be effective with most insurance companies :shrug-shoulders:

IMO, Recaro has really slacked in the CS department and they need to be faced with the fact that if they don't take care of the issue people are going to buy seats elsewhere. For heavens sakes, Cosco has better customer service than Recaro ime. O/T Recaro is coming to our CEU class to speak, I'll be anxious to see if what they have to say and if they ask for any feedback.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would file a complaint with the BBB. If the carseat has a 6 year life, it should be usable for that life.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Seems to be effective with most insurance companies :shrug-shoulders:

IMO, Recaro has really slacked in the CS department and they need to be faced with the fact that if they don't take care of the issue people are going to buy seats elsewhere. For heavens sakes, Cosco has better customer service than Recaro ime. O/T Recaro is coming to our CEU class to speak, I'll be anxious to see if what they have to say and if they ask for any feedback.

Does it really, though? I've seen it recommended. I don't know if it works.

And yes, absolutely, Recaro should know that their lack of customer service may cost them business. I've been pretty clear on that. But I also think that if we "CPS Advocates (Fanatics/Technicians/etc.)" want to be taken seriously as advocates, we need to be reasonable and make reasonable requests and engage in reasonable dialogue.

ETA: Requesting a new harness and threatening to take business elsewhere if it isn't received is reasonable, IMO. Requesting a waiver to knowingly use a damaged seat is not reasonable.

Maedze

ETA: Requesting a new harness and threatening to take business elsewhere if it isn't received is reasonable, IMO. Requesting a waiver to knowingly use a damaged seat is not reasonable.

Isn't that sort of the point? No one would expect such a letter, because it wouldn't be reasonable. And the insurance company/CRS company etc realizes that unless they change the policy/replace the seat they are tacitly saying, "the seat is safe this way, use it" and they could be facing a lawsuit if something tragic happens, waiver or otherwise.

Sometimes it's just seeing something like that in writing to make the legal department go, "Hey, waittttt a second, maybe we need to rethink this policy".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC