New belt guide in third row of Mazda 5?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I went to the Detroit auto show today :love: and had to check out the Mazda 5. I know that the seatbelts in the third row are known to be a problem because they're several inches in front of the vehicle seat.

But I wonder ... have they fixed that problem with a belt guide? I don't recall seeing these belt guides in previous Mazda 5 pictures. I also wasn't familiar enough with the problem to be able to tell whether these would do the trick.

DSC01417.jpg

The opening is toward the front of the car, and you just slip the seatbelt in.

DSC01415.jpg

The other seatbelt, buckled.

So, what do you think? Still too far forward of the vehicle seat?

ADS

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Those aren't belt guides. Those are for holding the seat belt out of the way when you're not usng the 3rd row and have it folded down. My 06 has those. They're only for seat belt storage.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Oh darn, I thought I'd discovered something new. :eek: The vehicle manuals weren't provided, so we couldn't read about what they actually were.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Don't feel bad - every single time I've shown someone the seat belt problem in my car, the first thing they do is grab the seat belt and stick it in that little holder on the side. :) I always have to point out that even if that's what it were for, it would position the shoulder belt right around the child's elbow.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I was Bookmama's sidekick/enabler at the auto show yesterday, good times. :) :thumbsup: I also initially guessed those were belt positioning guides, but then it also occurred to me they were probably intended to hold the seatbelts aside for folding/stowing the vehicle seats. Thanks to the 5 owners for confirming their function for folding/stowing the seats. :)

Pixels

If you think about it, it makes sense that those would not be belt guides. The opening is toward the front of the vehicle, so it would likely get pulled out of the guide in a front end crash.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If you think about it, it makes sense that those would not be belt guides. The opening is toward the front of the vehicle, so it would likely get pulled out of the guide in a front end crash.

Yes, that's why I was confused about what they were.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC