Need thoughts about buying an Apex65!

MustangMama

SO I'm pretty sure DD is getting an Apex65 tomorrow

and DN

and maybe grandma.....:whistle:

I saw some at Big Lot's today for $85 with a coupon from biglots.com for an extra 20% off makes it around $68 :thumbsup:

I don't know if you guys remember the thread I posted a few weeks ago about my brother not being able to find a HWH for his autistic daughter, but this is right up his alley!

I am going to help him fund a new seat for her if I can talk him into it! He should be thankful taxes are around the corner! LOL

ADS

drlynne

I would say no don't get one. If you can get a Frontier I would suggest getting one of those instead. I have a Frontier, Apex65 and Regent for my just turned 6 year old. He is 44 inches and 41 lbs. He is right at the shoulder height in his apex but has plenty of room left on the frontier. The regent is just too darn big, I haven't even been able to use it.
Big lots does have a good deal on them though I have to agree but if you get one she just may grow out of the harness fairly soon.

Lynne

I am really really considering getting an apex for Logan, but I tried him it it at BRU today and it just looks weird to me...he looks so little in it. He kept saying, "Mommy, this seat is NOT comfy". I was thinking with the coupon this could be for the grandparents house.

Hubby, thinks we should just install and unistall the Nautilus when they want to keep them overnight. Makes sense since it is only like once a month and the nautilus is a piece of cake to install.

I think it is a nice seat though, especially if their torso's are pretty small(which I believe your little girl's is, right?). What about DN? I remember the story, but can't remember her size.

abarnes6

I went back to find your post and you say the neice is 48lbs but didn't say how tall she is (or give any indication of her being short/tall in torso area). Considering how limited money is for your brother, I would buy it if I was in your situation.

My 5yo (10/03, 70lb, 4'2) is in an Apex and he has no complaints about comfort though it's not very cushy.

ETA - Doh, I read that to mean you were buying your brother the Apex65 for his DD, not for yor own.

Last edited:

mykidsmylife

Johnathon is just starting to outgrow his at 49-50"... We have had it for like 2.5 years I think. I like it. I have had no complaints with it. Well other then it being a pain to install in some cars, but it always ended up working out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have one (got it for 65 at Big Lots) and honestly while it is "cushy" compared to them I like my Radians much better. If that's all he can afford and it will fit her, go for it. It will last for a little while (if he has headrests) and keep her safe in the meantime. But I found it hard to adjust, the harness seemed short, and it was harder than my Radians to install in the car I was using it in with a large 4 year old. If you can possibly do something else I would. But like I said it's not awful; I just don't love it.

MustangMama

I think it is a nice seat though, especially if their torso's are pretty small(which I believe your little girl's is, right?). What about DN? I remember the story, but can't remember her size.

They're the same size!

And regardless, even if we an get a year out of one fro my DN, that will get her closer to being a booster safely :thumbsup:

But I bet with both girls we can get about 1.5-2 more years out of one!

MustangMama

I went back to find your post and you say the neice is 48lbs but didn't say how tall she is (or give any indication of her being short/tall in torso area). Considering how limited money is for your brother, I would buy it if I was in your situation.

My 5yo (10/03, 70lb, 4'2) is in an Apex and he has no complaints about comfort though it's not very cushy.

ETA - Doh, I read that to mean you were buying your brother the Apex65 for his DD, not for yor own.

Buying one for both probably......LOL.....sorry if I confused you!

DD needs one for DH car so I can give her booster to my sister.

DN needs one for her Dad and Grandma's car.

Her torso is short ~15"

MustangMama

I have one (got it for 65 at Big Lots) and honestly while it is "cushy" compared to them I like my Radians much better. If that's all he can afford and it will fit her, go for it. It will last for a little while (if he has headrests) and keep her safe in the meantime. But I found it hard to adjust, the harness seemed short, and it was harder than my Radians to install in the car I was using it in with a large 4 year old. If you can possibly do something else I would. But like I said it's not awful; I just don't love it.

UGH I totally forgot he doesn't have head rests!!

GRRRRRRR :thumbsdown:

Ok so maybe just DD is getting an Apex :whistle:

and Grandma if she will buy one.

I thought I heard mix reviews on the booster. Does good and does bad. LOL!
I know that didn't help. I tried Michael in on yesterday at BRU and he looked good in it as a booster.

MustangMama

okie dokie.....i think i am going to buy one regardless. it will match dh car.

i will have to post pictures of us putting them together and installing them in our different cars

mykidsmylife

If the seat is 36" tall it can be used in the highest harness setting w/o a headrest..

It is a really wide booster.Johnathon is tall and skinny. I won't use it as a dedicated booster. But it makes a great booster for hefty kids.

The seatbelt does fit him exactly how it should though when in booster mode. He has used it a few times as a booster in dh's car...

MustangMama

DN is a hefty kiddo so I think it will be an acceptable use of a booster for her.

myboysmylife, you say 36"? Is that from the bight of the seat to the top of the seat?

What if a seat doesn't have a headrest but is really tall? Like my Mustang? Is that acceptable form of a headrest?

mykidsmylife

Yup bight to top needs to be 36"

If the mustang from the bight to top is 36" then to use it at the top position is fine.

Kat_Momof3

DN is a hefty kiddo so I think it will be an acceptable use of a booster for her.

myboysmylife, you say 36"? Is that from the bight of the seat to the top of the seat?

What if a seat doesn't have a headrest but is really tall? Like my Mustang? Is that acceptable form of a headrest?

basically, it's not that it needs an actual headrest, but the fact that the apex's headrest is a "comfort feature" (as told to us by dorel people) and is not reinforced for safety. Therefore, it is outgrown the same as a backless booster.

So just think of it as a backless booster with a really tall comfort feature.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Except that it's outgrown the same way in harnessed mode-- has to have support behind it, whether headrest or seat back.

Kat_Momof3

yeah... I meant that, when harnessed, to still look at it as a backless booster... not just when it's a booster

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC