1998 Plymouth Voyager-What seat for twins?

My cousin just had their one car repossesed and her trailblazer is getting repossessed in the next month(her husband is a carpenter and has been out of work for about a year-he works here and there-stupid economy-he is in the middle of going back to school for prison guard type of job).

They are very tight finances right now and the parents skip meals to be able to feed the kids(we just found out they are doing this).

THey got a Plymouth voyager(1998) for free from a lady he did a job for. They just have to fix it up(slowly they are when they have the money).

She has 6 kids. 18 year old(just found out he had to have a pace maker put in out of nowhere-he does not live with them right now), 16 year old, almost 6 year old, 3 year old(the end of this month), 8 month old twin girls.

6 year old is in a radian(thank you kyle miller foundation) and needs to stay in this till he outgrows it(he is wiggly and horrible in a booster), 3 year old is in a FPSVD(thanks Judi), and the 8 month old twin girls are in snugrides that we got them when they were born.

I am thinking down the road here(she says they need new seats and was about to get AOE seats on clerance at walmart for 90.00-I told her NO WAY, they still fit in their seats and you do not have the money for those crappy seats-the old 40 pound limit ones).

So, I am thinking about giving them my scenera(gives me an excuse to get an avenue or uptown ;-) ) and my whole family going in and getting them another scenera?

They travel alot though(1 hour to church and one hour home every sunday and some wednesdays-church pays for their gas). So, are they comfy for long trips? We have one, but have never gone more than 45 minutes in it.

Does Scenera's install nice in a Plymouth voyager? How about the radian?

I am going to see them on saturday(i am throwing a birthday party for Logan and including her 3 year old too ;-)-also an excuse to give them lots of groceries and clothes) ;-)

ADS

monstah

Lucky for you - I have a 99 Voyager, a Scenera, and a Radian. (See my siggy.)

Car seats are a huge PITA to install on the third row. The belt stalks are ridiculously long and there isn't much room between the third and second row at all for RF seats. Also, it isn't very wide for three across.

The only place a RN will fit RF is 2nd row, passengers side. (Or drivers side, but it leaves zero room for the drivers.) The RN *might* install FF third row, but the buckle will likely end up behind the kids back, three twists wont be enough.

The Scenera can go pretty much anywhere with a lot of sweat and cursing. It will be pretty upright though if in the third row.

Snugrides fit fine 2nd row, but no chance they will go in the third row. Not nearly enough room front to back.

The FPSVD should install easily FF or RF in any spot, 2nd or 3rd row.

I haven't been able to fit three seats into the third row. Anything specific you want me to try tomorrow??

Last edited:
My main concern is where the radian can fit FF and you said the scenera is a PITA to install too? YIKES! Not good! She just now got the hang of installing seats with latch. I guess we are going to have to have some carseat installing lesson's when they get this vehicle cleaned out(She said it smells like smoke really bad-and 4 kids with asthma-it is going to have to get professionally cleaned).

Does the Scenera fit RF nice in the second row? Could you fit 2 of them RF in the second row? the 16 year old doesn't usually go in the vehicle with them-he has his own beater car(thanks to his grandma).
The 3 year old can buckle himself, same as the 6 year old, so no biggie there if they are in the 3rd row(she always double checks them though).

Darn, I knew this would happen! I don't want her to have to take her almost 6 year old out of a harness(he is nuts and totally not behaved-the others are though). I have seen that kid in a booster and it is not a pretty site. She likes him in one as well.

SHOOT! If she can't get a seat installed good RF then I know she will FF those twins asap(they were 4 weeks preemie as well, one is 13 pounds and one is 16 pounds). She is big on carseat saftey(listens to what I say), but that is one thing we disagree on.

I think I may have to go over there and help her try out different scenerios.

monstah

My main concern is where the radian can fit FF and you said the scenera is a PITA to install too? YIKES!

The Radian will fit FF in any seat. - I forgot I had it in the third row for vacation! It's just hard with the long belt stalks.

Does the Scenera fit RF nice in the second row? Could you fit 2 of them RF in the second row? the 16 year old doesn't usually go in the vehicle with them-he has his own beater car(thanks to his grandma).

The Scenera fits easily into the 2nd row, no problems at all, and getting 2 in a row there is no problem. I had a Regent and a Snugride there once and they weren't even touching.

The 3 year old can buckle himself, same as the 6 year old, so no biggie there if they are in the 3rd row(she always double checks them though).

The third row is a problem because it isn't very wide and there isn't really any room front to back. To install a RF Scenera there, I had to fold down the 2nd row seat, install the Scenera, then put the second row seat back up, hoping the Scenera wasn't so reclined that it would get pushed up, but still not at a 90 degree angle. Plus you have to twist the buckle stalks 3 times and have just enough noodle underneath to keep the buckle out of the belt path. It's kind of hard to explain and a huge PITA. (Lots of cursing.)
The 3rd row middle is a lap belt only and with a car seat installed in that spot, it leaves little room on either side for another seat. There isn't a headrest in the middle either.

I think I may have to go over there and help her try out different scenerios.

No one should have much trouble with the second row (seats 2). It's the third row that's a beast!

What I'm thinking should work for them-

2nd row:
two RF Sceneras.
3rd row:
passengers side - 16 yr old
middle - 3 yr old (What seat does he use?)
drivers - side Radian

Reaching the 3rd row seats to fix their harness's is going to be really hard though.

Last edited:

Pixels

My main concern is where the radian can fit FF and you said the scenera is a PITA to install too? YIKES! Not good! She just now got the hang of installing seats with latch. I guess we are going to have to have some carseat installing lesson's when they get this vehicle cleaned out(She said it smells like smoke really bad-and 4 kids with asthma-it is going to have to get professionally cleaned).

She can do it herself, doing the exact same thing the pros do. Disconnect the van's battery. Take an empty, clean coffee can and punch some holes in the lid. Fill it with gasoline, put the lid on it, and let it sit in the closed-up vehicle for 24 hours. After 24 hours, take the gas out (and pour it in the tank), open the windows, and let the van air out for another 24 hours.

mykidsmylife

My MIL had a 98 Voyager and the seatbelts were supposed to lock and the buckle. HOWEVER, they slid a lot. Never locked and the lockig clips were a must.
I know it wasn't just her voyager b/c there were some others having issues also.

Soo that is something else to remember to check out...

Kat_Momof3

the voyager is another version of a caravan. - and radians were built for caravans... any seating position is doable, though buckle stalk twisting on bench seats is needed sometimes

Sceneras are even easier, though she will need one section of pool noodle to get good recline for an older baby (no noodle and it could go bolt upright)

I bet dollars to donuts she can fit the radian in the middle of the third row with the FPSVD on one side and a rf scenera on the other side (it will be snug, no doubt, but it can be done with careful work).

Then the other rf scenera and the 16yr old can ride in the 2nd row.

Thank you. I am hoping once it gets cleaned out(she is going to do it herself) that I can go over and play with all the carseats ;-)!

I really want to get 2 pink carseats for her ;-). LOL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC