Question Scenera & EPS foam

Brycen'sMommy

Does anyone know if Dorel is planning to put EPS foam on the Scenera? It's one of the last seats on the market that doesn't have it so I was just curious if they had plans to do it any time soon? I would like to get one for a back up seat but I won't use seats without EPS foam.

ADS
I wish they would, especially since they are going up in price(like 50ish at walmart now).

How about the Saftey 1st Avenue or Saftey 1st Uptown?

I have a scenera and used it for awhile as a main seat. It does make me a bit nervous with no eps foam, but I was ensured it was safe.

My son never complained it wasn't comfy. (see pic of him in my siggy)

Brycen'sMommy

I bought an Avenue and returned it. I hated it. The harness adjuster was an absolute nightmare and it had some installation issues in my car.

I used a Scenera as a back up for my 2 1/2 year old and gave it away after he outgrew it around 20 months. I really liked it but I won't buy another one until it has EPS foam.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I'm not aware that Cosco/Dorel has any plans to add EPS foam. EPS foam would increase the price. While EPS foam would be awesome, an increased price would not. It is the one seat that imo we can truly say is priced low enough for just about anyone.

U

Unregistered

I'm not aware that Cosco/Dorel has any plans to add EPS foam. EPS foam would increase the price. While EPS foam would be awesome, an increased price would not. It is the one seat that imo we can truly say is priced low enough for just about anyone.

Since I started research on this, I was wondering the same thing. I've read techs make the comparison: Titan is comparable to the ComfortSport or Scenera, EFTA is comparable to the True Fit or Boulevard. What then does the EPS provide besides a cushier headrest for sleeping? How can a non-EPS like Scenera test as safely as an EPS type? I was planning on getting a Scenera as my 2nd seat for the small-distance infrequent-trip car, and this just has me wondering.
All responses are appreciated and I'm glad that you all share info on this site like you do. It's been a pleasure to read *good* info about my potential purchases with real experiences backing the claims up. Thanks again!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
We don't know if a Scenera is "as safe" as an EFTA or Boulevard -- we do know that all the seats meet the same minimum standards, and more than that is just speculation. I'm not sure that I've seen the same comparisons that you posted so I can't comment.

Freedom_Pixie

That would be a nice add for the Scenera. After a while in the seat my DS starts to cry and whine, he isn't comfy in it at all. But right now I am waiting for the TF that I ordered, then when the new version comes out I might be able to order it and use the one we are getting now in my moms car or as a backup. I was told by a Cust. Serv. Rep. at Learning Curve that they do not have the Cranberry cover available for the older versions out now, which makes me sad because I Love that color, so does DS. Anyways, That would be great if they did put EPS Foam in the Scenera.

U

Unregistered

We don't know if a Scenera is "as safe" as an EFTA or Boulevard -- we do know that all the seats meet the same minimum standards, and more than that is just speculation. I'm not sure that I've seen the same comparisons that you posted so I can't comment.

sorry, i didn't mean that techs said the seats in one group are 'comparably safe' vs another inferior, unsafer group. i've seen the seats grouped and compared in this way in terms of size (for a small vs roomy back seat) and price (NOT safety per se).

i just thought that Scenera wouldn't perform *above* any 'minimum standards' which i (mistakenly?) assumed the foam seats posessed. ...i still know too little about actual guidelines and test results, i've just been reading which ones are most comfortable and most reasonably priced for the features they posess (and general safety they provide...)
Thanks again!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's a reasonable assumption that EPS/EPP foam will improve safety, but we still don't know how the seats rank.

Evolily

EPS foam is actually pretty cheap. If you look at the cosco highback, which has no EPS foam, you can find seats which are very similar and have a similar price point, but have EPS foam.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i remember reading a while back about the foam.....and I seem to remember it costs like, literally a few pennies???

flutie128

I have a Touriva and it didn't come with a cup holder and I think it cost about the same as the scenera does. It looks to be about the same seat but the scerena comes with a cup holder.

christineka

They'd have to make it fit the mold of the seat and perhaps that would cost more?

I bought foam for my tribute. I think it cost $3. I'd be willing to pay up to $10 to buy some foam for the scenera. They could just make it an add on for people who would rather pay a little more for the eps foam.

mominabigtruck

What I don't understand is how they had the touriva, which came in all different models, a basic half wrap cover with no padding all the way to an eddie bauer one with extra foam padding, a suede cover and headrests and go to a scenera that only comes one way. I know they didn't have any problems selling the higher end version of the touriva either because I had 3 of them and knew lots of people with them and I see them on CL all the time. I think I paid $89 for mine brand new in 2001 and that was just going to sears and buying it straight out, not on sale, not looking for the best deal, just going and picking out the prettiest one that matched my truck:eek: So even with inflation that would put it at just about $100 now, regular price and we could still have a seat that is nicer then the basic scenera but under $100 for parents on a budget.

Maedze

So even with inflation that would put it at just about $100 now, regular price and we could still have a seat that is nicer then the basic scenera but under $100 for parents on a budget.

Isn't that the Avenue? :p

If they would just put one more lower set of harness slots for newborns in the Avenue, it would be *the* budget seat that would take most kids from birth to 4 years.

mominabigtruck

Isn't that the Avenue? :p

If they would just put one more lower set of harness slots for newborns in the Avenue, it would be *the* budget seat that would take most kids from birth to 4 years.

Kinda...;)

I think you and I can both agree that while the avenue is a nice seat, it has a whole set of installation and usage issues that the scenera just doesn't have. FFing install of either one of those seats is a breeze but if we're talking about a rfing install with a seatbelt it can really be hit or miss with an avenue, plus the whole adjuster thing. And my kids would never, ever make it to 4yo in an avenue just because of the snugness of the shoulder area.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC