Should I Booster Her?

northernmommy

My mom brings my DD1 home from school every day (15min drive, rural road), and complains that she can't get DD's harness buckled (she has a hand injury w/chronic pain) snug enough, so she leaves it too loose:(. My mom understands car-seat safety and doesn't question me on it, so I don't doubt her when she says she CAN'T do it up. I don't want to put her in a booster full time yet (she's 5 1/2, 16.25" torso, 47lbs) but I'm thinking that she'd be safer in a booster than in a too-loose harnessed seat. Currently she's in a TF in my mom's car (1994 Mazda MPV), and has about 1.5" to grow in it...normally she rides in a FR, which she has lots of room in. I've just always said my kids would be harnessed until they outgrew their seats, but I'm not sure that's the safest thing to do in this situation.:confused:

Would she be okay in a booster for five short rides a week? If so, should I just convert her FR when I get it back, or get her a Monterey?

ADS

solmama

Can she just tighten the straps and leave them? And not tighten/loosen them each time? We just leave ours...I can't imagine trying to adjust them properly every time we got in the car. Or is it too hard for her to push the buckle tongues in the buckle?

BW1426

I agree with the PP. E is 5.5 and with a little help making sure the straps aren't twisted, she can buckle herself in too. We don't adjust the straps everytime. She cannot unbuckle herself in the radian though.

I would be okay with most 5.5 year old girls in a booster though.

northernmommy

Can she just tighten the straps and leave them? And not tighten/loosen them each time? We just leave ours...I can't imagine trying to adjust them properly every time we got in the car. Or is it too hard for her to push the buckle tongues in the buckle?

It's pushing the buckle tongues into the buckle that causes the problem. She can do it if the harness is loose, but not if it's snug. But then she can't tighten the harness enough (I've never had a problem tightening it myslef, but I'm guessing it's because of the injury) DD can't buckle herself yet, she has low tone and her arms/hands aren't strong enough to do it. She sits fine etc, but her extremities aren't as strong as an average 5yo's would be.

solmama

I guess that makes it more difficult since neither can buckle. Hmm...what about a Nautilus? I've heard that the buckle and adjuster are easier to manage. Are you near a store that carries them to try one out? Are you comfortable with her being in a booster with her low tone?

Kat_Momof3

that's gonna be a tough call... with low tone and not having the info to know if she'd sit nice and straight the whole time in a booster, I'd say step 1 is taking her for a few short trips in one in your car (convert the frontier for them)

if she can sit properly, then given her age and size, I'd much rather a properly used booster over improperly used harnessed seat.

northernmommy

that's gonna be a tough call... with low tone and not having the info to know if she'd sit nice and straight the whole time in a booster, I'd say step 1 is taking her for a few short trips in one in your car (convert the frontier for them)

if she can sit properly, then given her age and size, I'd much rather a properly used booster over improperly used harnessed seat.

Problem 1 is that I don't have my car right now, Problem 2 is that I don't have our FR right now:rolleyes:

Her tone isn't really an issue in her core, it's her arms and legs that are weak...but I'm not 100% confident that she'll stay in position properly.

I'm considering ordering the GN from Sears...but am not sure about it, and there's nowhere to try it out near here (we're literally in the middle of nowhere:eek:)

I guess I could get the GN, and if it's not easier to buckle, she could use it in booster mode:whistle:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd have NO problem at all putting a 5.5 year old 47 pound child in a high back booster in this situation.

A properly used booster (especially at her age and size) is much safer than a loose harness.

northernmommy

I'd have NO problem at all putting a 5.5 year old 47 pound child in a high back booster in this situation.

A properly used booster (especially at her age and size) is much safer than a loose harness.

Would you suggest a Monterey, or try the GN? I don't really need another combo seat (but who doesn't want an excuse, right:whistle:), and she'd be using it in booster mode anyhow....

I just don't know boosters like I probably should!

Kat_Momof3

I'd go with something that, if she can't buckle it herself, Grandma can buckle and adjust easily.

So I'd probably get a turbo... that thing is simple and easy... she just has to remember the handle at the top for height and to route the belt under the armrests.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
What about attaching something to the end of the adjuster strap to give her something to hold onto better?

Also, the Frontier adjuster is a lot smoother than the TF one. Can you guys switch?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC