What to do with a perfectly good carseat that you can't use anymore ?

Lea_Ontario

We will likely have to retire DD's Britax Marathon shortly. I'm going to try to install an Intera beside it, but am not holding out much hope for a fit there.

*IF* the seats don't fit the way I hope they do, what do I do with a perfectly good carseat that is less than a year old, and cost me $350 ?!?!?

ADS

Yoshi

Hi Kashi, I think you have several options.

1. Find a friend/acquaintance/local person that is in the market for a new seat and sell it to them for an acceptable price- This would have to be someone who could appreciate the value of your seat and did not expect to get it "dirt cheap"

2. Ebay it- I've seen some barely used seats get about half their value but you may get more. Even though I wouldn't buy a seat off ebay, there are plenty of people who do.

3. Doesn't this particular board allow you to "advertise" your own seats to eachother? I'm sure someone here might need one!

4. If you are feeling charitable- you could donate it to a pregnancy crisis center- here in the US, we can get a tax credit for the amount that the seat cost new. Don't know if you have that option in Canada. I did that with DD's crib because I couldn't sell it and no more kids in our future- it was better than just "giving it away" since all my family is older and we have the only "baby".

Good Luck!:)

B

bucket2

yoshiandluke said:
You could donate it to a pregnancy crisis center- here in the US, we can get a tax credit for the amount that the seat cost new. Don't know if you have that option in Canada. I did that with DD's crib because I couldn't sell it and no more kids in our future- it was better than just "giving it away."

I was thinking along the same lines:

1. shelter for domestic violence
  2. homeless shelter
  3. crisis daycare center - foster kids need good seats
  4. any charity/religious organization that provides direct services for needy families and children

Lea_Ontario

Unfortunately, if we do need to replace the Marathon, we NEED to sell it. That will be the ONLY way to fund the replacement seat at all.

We simply cannot just eat the cost of a new seat.

Yoshi

I was just wondering why you need to sell it and get a new seat- is it because you are expecting and can't fit all 3 seats together? Sorry if you've already posted why, and I probably can't help you anyway:eek:

If you are familiar with ebay, then you can research final selling price of some slightly used marathons by using the "Search completed listings" tool. Then you will get an idea of what you might expect to get. You can also list it with a reserve price, so it doesn't go for less than you need to get.

I know how you feel- when DD outgrows her seat, I have NO one to pass it on to and it will probably have at least 3+ years left of use. But that's the case with all her stuff- my two kids are 14 years apart and I'm done!:D

Lea_Ontario

Yeah - trying to fit 3 seats in the back of a '99 Cavalier.
I'm *hoping* that I can arrange the two seats we have now and an Intera, but I'm NOT counting on it.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
This is probably a dumb question since I am sure that you have tried every possible arrangement, but would it work to do RF Marathon, FF Generations, RF Intera? Or are you trying to use a different seat for the baby?

With the Marathon sitting up higher, will the Generations fit next to it? I know you are planning on taking the base off the Intera- does that make it sit really low? I am not all that familiar with the Intera. Sorry.

If you do have to sell the Marathon, I would recommend Ebay. You are probably going to get more for it on Ebay than anywhere else.

Good luck!

Lea_Ontario

We don't actually have the Intera yet - so I haven't tried any set-ups with it.

The problem with putting the Generations in the middle is that the harness adjusters are on the sides of the seats, I'm not sure we could reach them.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Oh! I see...

Is the Generations the best seat for your son? I know that several Canadians have said that you have limited options when it comes to carseat selection. Are there any other seats that will work for your son and your vehicle?

Is the Sunshine Kids Radian available in Canada? If it is, that might be a good option for your son. However, even if it is available, it might be SUPER expensive in Canada. I think I remember someone posting that the Radian is not available in Canada, but I might be mistaken. It seems that the Marathon would give you more flexibility than the Generations, but I could be wrong.

Gosh, I really do wish you the best of luck. This sounds like a tough situation. :(

Lea_Ontario

Yeah, there are VERY few Canadian seats that harness past 40 lbs. And my son desperately needs the harness. The Generations was the best we could find (we simply CANNOT find a CarGo)

No, the Radian is not available in Canada.

The Marathon has more flexibility, but it's HUGE - and we have not got the space for huge.

smurf

Sears.ca has the Cargo, at least the last time I checked. I have one, it's a great seat, narrow (17"), light, high harness slots and a 48 lbs limit in Canada. Unfortunately difficult to find but Sears Has it.

Good luck!

lovinwaves

Kashi,

I saw someone mentioned Craigslist. Have you ever tried that? It is awesome. You will get top dollar for your carseat on there. The listings are free of any charges and you deal with only local people. Also I bought my Graco ComfortSport for about $130.00, and I sold it over a year later for $100.00. Not Bad......also just to let you know I sold it within 10 hours of listing it. Cash Transaction. That helped fund our purchased of two new Marathon's. Hope this helps. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC