Question car seats for very tall babies

U

Unregistered

my son is 3.5 months old and has outgrown his bucket style car seat.

2 weeks ago he was 63 cm tall (25 inches) and 14.5 pounds. He wears a 12 month size when it comes to any 1 piece outfits, he's just such a long baby.

I have decided to move to a 3-in-1 seat to accomodate his height in a rear facing position.

Does anyone have any experience with tall babies and car seats? any recomendations for specific models of seats?

thanks!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Is there any particular reason you're looking at the 3-in-1 seats? They do not have especially tall shells or strap slots, and they do not make very good boosters. They would not be my first choice for a tall child.

Have you considered the Evenflo Triumph Advance or the Compass TrueFit?

pastrygirl

My son was tall and big at that age, and I moved him to a Marathon at 3 months old. He was able to rear-face until he hit the weight limit -- he still had room left height-wise. He's now forward-facing in the Marathon with plenty of room to spare. He's 2.5.

If the True Fit had been out back then, I would've seriously considered it. It seems like a very tall seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter was 20 lbs. and 28 inches at 4 months. She had a 14 inch torso at that point. She still fits great (at 9 months) in her Radian; she also would have fit well in the True Fit. I wouldn't bother with a smaller convertible for her!

lenats31

:) Just a side note:

63 cm is normal lenght for a 3 month old baby in Scandinavia:eek:

My daughter was 64 cm at 3 months. 54 cm at birth.
My son was 66 cm. 52 cm at birth

Lena

Kat_Momof3

to the original poster - what country are you in??

the baby's size is normal and if you are in the US or Canada, the baby may not have outgrown the infant seat.

solmama

The Truefit is the tallest convertible at 27", followed by the Recaro Signo 26.5", then the Radian 25.5", EFTA 24", with the Marathon being slightly shorter than the EFTA.

U

Unregistered

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I was looking at 3 in 1's simply because of convenience.
I am in Canada, so I will see if these models and makes are available here.
And yeah, he's got about 2-4 weeks left in his bucket seat, i'd say.

Thanks again, you've all been very helpful :)

featherhead

If you do decide to go for a 3-in-1, make sure it's a new one. The new ones rear-face to 35 lbs and forward-face to 50 lbs. But they do not make a good booster, so you would still need to purchase a booster later. I would say rather look at the Evenflo Triumph, the First Years True Fit, or the Sunshine Kids Radian. All of those seats should last your big guy a long time, hopefully till he's ready for a booster:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC